U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 12:27 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,810,256 times

Advertisements

We, as well, stopped sending cards decades ago, instead of a card, a selfie of the three of us with a holiday wish is sent to the chosen few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 12:28 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,429,026 times
I never got into the habit of sending holiday cards and for the past 40 years of so would only send a card if someone sent me one. Then I stopped doing that, too.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:44 PM

4,431 posts, read 2,605,246 times
I send out about 6.

But they send me freebies at this time of year, ideally so i send them piles and piles of money to their cause. But only a few get my dollars.

Only a few people get a Christmas card, if i send one, i dont feel obligated to send one back, such as to businesses who send me one.

Keeps my costs low and postal budget on target.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:45 PM

611 posts, read 248,885 times
I must be old fashioned too. I love sending and receiving Christmas cards. However, the number I send out and receive has definitely dwindled over the years. And yes, I remember the days when I was a kid, my mother sending out probably 100 cards. They went to every neighbor within 20 miles, I think! I like to buy cards from Unicef or some other worthy organization. This year, for some reason, I got a packet from Boy's Town with cards, calendars, pens, address labels, etc. so I feel obligated to send them some kind of donation. Anyway, the rest of the year I'm not really all that sociable, so it feels good (to me) to at least send a card once a year to let people know I still think about and care about them....well, most of them anyway!

Old 11-24-2018, 12:50 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,057,100 times
I send a few to people not on the WWW. I did send ecards for a while, but now I don't even open them if I get one so I don't expect anyone else to either.

When I was little the family sent out photo cards of me and my sister, sometimes the dog got in on the act too.

"It is what it is, but it ain't what it was."

Old 11-24-2018, 12:54 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,687,379 times
I still send a few cards: one to my brother and his wife; one to my best friend of over 60 years (the one I've referred to in other posts on C-D as telling me "you're family"; one to my adult son; one to my 81-year-old former neighbor but only because she sends me one, and one to my 92-year-old aunt, who is getting an especially nice one this year because she lost her home and everything she owns in the fire in Paradise, CA earlier this month.

Because I only send so few, I buy single cards that are fancier and more expensive than the boxed kind, which I used to use when I was younger and sent more cards.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:01 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,648,620 times
I get free ones from various charities and I used to send those. Now I send a few cyber cards by Jacqie Lawson because they are so beautiful and they play music.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:03 PM

346 posts, read 255,784 times
I enjoy sending cards. Just ordered cards from Shutterfly with a few photos on them. My list has dwindled down from about 50 cards to about 40 now.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:03 PM

7,595 posts, read 4,674,480 times
We hadn't sent out cards for years but I think I'm going to resume now that we will actually have some new on an ongoing basis.

We consistently get cards from a young couple with their son. One year some neighbors hand-delivered one and that was nice. Funny, too. Every year the Stanford Cat Network sends us a card -- we donated once. They do good work. They take care of cats that are found wandering on the Stanford campus, usually abandoned by students. And every year the number of cats under their care goes down, as they find new homes for adoptable cats, foster those who await adoption and reunite tame strays with their owners.

No one on my side of the family sends us cards. I believe I made it clear they weren't in line to inherit anything.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:08 PM

10,666 posts, read 21,336,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I found out the hard way many years ago...I was on the brink of divorce and not in any kind of holiday spirit so I was much later than usual in sending out my cards...maybe less than a week before Christmas. I got maybe a quarter of the cards I usually got, and some of them obviously sent AFTER mine went out.

That was the end for me - no more trying to come up with a few "newsy" lines for each card, the endless addressing and expensive postage. It takes something like that to tell you who does and doesn't care.
Happened to me too but I was sick, didn't get them out. I only got a few. That's when I decided to cut the list way down until I stopped. I'll send a few if people send us one, but other then that it's wasted cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
My wife is into scrap booking and makes a big production of it, cutting out designs with her Cricut, assembling the cards and writing a letter for inside. People appreciate getting them or at least a fair number of people tell us they do. One relative saves them and puts them out as a decoration, standing partly opened on a half wall.
I saw a video of a gal making quick cards which inspired me to send to my daughter because she has a lot of Christmas scrap booking stuff. If I still sent card, I'd make a few if she told me what paper I could use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or