U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 01:46 PM

6,119 posts, read 9,071,114 times

Advertisements

What I hate is those "Christmas Letters" from people who have to tell you all the cruises they have been on, where the next vaca will be, how big a boat they got last year and how many grandchildren are now doing ballet.

So much of it is unnecessary bragging and this year I won't send any cards at all. That should stop the newsy Christmas letters from coming to my mailbox. Email to me is fine. It's all I really need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 01:50 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,258,081 times
When I had my business, I used to send cards to the good customers. I used to send them to friends. My husband sends them to his family and to his late wife's family. In the past we would send out about 30 cards and receive between 6 and 8 in return. So, after I closed the business, I started cutting back on who I sent cards to. If I got a card from someone last year, I send one this year. My husband just sends them out whether there is a response or not. Most of the people he is sending them to haven't had any contact with him at all in the past 10 years, so I'm not sure why he bothers.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:02 PM

24 posts, read 6,166 times
I don't bother sending Christmas cards anymore. Most of the people I sent cards to, I'm now friends with them on Facebook-including my family. And there are a handful of people I knew from places I used to live, but they've made absolutely no effort to find out what I've been up to since I moved away. So why bother sending them a card. (I used to, but they never sent me one back.) I post a simple status update for the holiday on Facebook now (which most of my contacts also do), and we always get a ton of likes and comments from each other. A lot of my FB friends have family to spend their holidays with (which I don't), but it only takes a moment to pull out your cellphone and post a simple "Merry Christmas" status update for your online friends.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:11 PM

11,080 posts, read 12,458,603 times
I sent out about 30 to friends and relatives, have them made with a photo of me and the doggie.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:21 PM

6,293 posts, read 3,564,804 times
No, I haven't sent out cards for about ten years. What I do is write an individual letter to everyone who sends me a card with a letter in it.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:22 PM

1,622 posts, read 557,035 times
Starting with this year I really think I will only send to the seven recipients that I really want to; these are all people who do send me cards as well.

I wonder if there's an unwritten "waiting period" for sending the leftover boxed cards from previous years to the same people who got them originally, LOL. I just looked in my leftover-cards box and I've got three from 2017 (made a lot of writing errors last year), six from 2016, six from 2015, and six from 2014. I can tell their "ages" by the order in which I put them in the box.

Of course that means I'll end up with 11 extras from this year's box but oh well.

With the supposed dwindling use of the postal service, you'd think that card manufacturers would be moving away from boxes of 18 or 20 cards and toward boxes of 10 instead.

I've been lucky in that nobody I've known has ever sent out those annual letter things. Not really anyone with photo cards either, nor have we/I ever sent any. No offense to anyone who does send them but those always struck me as being not quite a "real" greeting card. But I realize this is the reaction of someone who can easily spend 40 minutes in a card store poring over every single card in a category and rejecting 99% of them because the art wasn't exactly 'right' or the sentiment contained a single word that seemed "off" for the person who I planned to give or send the card to.

For example this year I went to six different stores looking for just the right DIL Xmas card. Haven't found it yet. They all either had unappealing (IMHO) art or expressed a sentiment that doesn't reflect the polite-but-slightly-distant relationship that she and I have. I'm certainly not going to give her a saccharine or 'gushy' sounding card, because that would be ridiculous as well as hypocritical. But on the other hand I feel like if I don't get a "daughter-in-law card" it will look like I didn't bother to make an effort. Same thing happens with birthday cards but at least they're available all year long.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:28 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,688,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
What I hate is those "Christmas Letters" from people who have to tell you all the cruises they have been on, where the next vaca will be, how big a boat they got last year and how many grandchildren are now doing ballet.

So much of it is unnecessary bragging and this year I won't send any cards at all. That should stop the newsy Christmas letters from coming to my mailbox. Email to me is fine. It's all I really need.
Heh, I get one of those from my ex's sister and her husband. But they have no children and actually do interesting things. They don't do cruises, but go on exotic bird-watching trips and things like that that are interesting to the people they would send the newsletter to. They're not bragging as much as "catching up" news.

But yeah, the kind of letter you mention would go right in my recycling bin after the first paragraph.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:32 PM

13,191 posts, read 6,301,958 times
I dont mind Xmas letters, but I don’t send out one ever. However, people who I sent Xmas cards for a number of years without replying, were removed from my list a few years back. My reason was why bother, maybe they don’t want me to send them anything. Their wish is now honored. No reply card to any business Xmas card ever, I think it’s sort of business from them to me, so no harm done and no reciprocation is necessary.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 11-24-2018 at 02:59 PM..

Old 11-24-2018, 02:48 PM

891 posts, read 325,888 times
I send Christmas cards, not holiday cards! I still send and receive about 20 and among our friends, sending a digital card went out of fashion years ago, when the novelty wore off.

Perhaps it is less of a trend in the US, but Facebook here is increasingly unpopular. I still have my account but do not post any longer. Only two of my friends still post occasionally. It still seems to be popular with my husband's Italian relatives who seem to use it to network their businesses.

I do not mind getting Christmas letters with the cards. Sometimes you do not see people nearly enough to keep up with what they are doing. I saw a friend last week who lives interstate. She could only stay a couple of hours and after she left I realised there was so much we had not discussed. I do find texting has replaced a lot of phone calls these days. But I would not text Chrismas greetings.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:07 PM

19,824 posts, read 18,832,665 times
I remember my mother making a major production out of the huge Christmas list and all the cards.

I never had that much of a list, then when e-cards came out, I used the beautiful Jackie Lawson cards for a while. Now the novelty of that has worn off so I guess I'll just send a few cards out.

Last Christmas I took a picture of our little coffee table Christmas display and it shows SNOW outside. So I've printed out about 5 on glossy paper. Will glue them to cards and send them to the very elderly relatives.

Maybe I will do the Jackie Lawson thing again, someone else mentioned it. However, not that many people even use email anymore. Is it worth it for maybe three people? In a way I really miss the beautiful old Christmas cards. Writing them out was a pain but it was so much fun getting them! Placing them along the mantle or hanging them up or thinking up other fanciful ways to display them. It always looked so festive to see all the cards on display.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or