U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 09:07 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,653,928 times

Advertisements

One thing I do like about Christmas letters is how fun it is to re-read them after a decade or so has passed. When we moved, I came across a box of 50 or so from the 1990s that I had saved from friends. How sweet to read about the birth of a baby (who is now a college student). Or to read about a vacation, knowing that in years to come they would eventually choose to move there (and, in one case, the couple who said they enjoyed a trip "but California is where we'll stay forever..." Little did they know! LOL).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 09:14 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,987,654 times
I send out about 80-100 Christmas letters a year and that has been pretty constant for years. We ditched the cards about 10 years ago as that was getting pretty expensive. We receive about 50 cards each year, most with letters. I cannot think that more than one or two are "humble brags" or the like.

Every year, we talk about eliminating the letter as it takes a lot of time to write, print and post them However, since at least 20-25 recipients tell us that they enjoy it, we continue. It is a great way to keep in touch with our friends and relatives that are spread all over the country and in the world.

There are people who we don't here from for a couple of years. Occasionally, they will give me a call and let me know the bad news of the passing of a family member or the like.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:15 AM

6,569 posts, read 8,101,081 times
Worked with people who now live all across the country. We keep up with each other through Christmas letter sent with a good wish. We look forward to each edition as their children grow up and move into careers and as each faces aging. Nice to hear how they are changing lives as age creeps u on us

Old 11-25-2018, 09:40 AM

1,644 posts, read 565,667 times
I do save certain cards (other than ones from immediate family) if I think them particularly beautiful or unusual. For example, my Australian correspondent almost always sends a holiday card with an Aussie theme and my friend in England buys hers from the RHS; we are both gardeners and so that's the theme of hers. And thankfully they never have glitter, which I absolutely loathe on greeting cards. Won't send 'em and won't save 'em!

Also I have to admit that my handwriting -- which was never great -- has gotten worse and worse with advancing age and so I tend to avoid writing more than a one-sentence message, if that, on the cards I send. Trust me: I'm doing the recipient a favor! LOL

An earlier poster mentioned that they still get cards from older relatives who "just sign them" but although that may look like laziness it could also be that they find writing physically uncomfortable, whether through arthritis or other issues. And if any of them have had chemotherapy in the past, several widely used chemo drugs (such as Taxotere) are notorious for causing neuropathy in hands and/or feet that is often permanent.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:24 AM

6,201 posts, read 2,862,660 times
Indeed I do! It's quite the gesture to send a message that comes from the heart. My aunts still send out cards...and even though I'm an adult... I still feel like that child of wonderment when I open their cards. Their penmanship so refined.. the words dipped in love and wishes. My cards pale in comparison to their eloquent style. I do so admire their dedication to this tradition.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:41 AM

13,226 posts, read 6,326,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I do save certain cards (other than ones from immediate family) if I think them particularly beautiful or unusual. For example, my Australian correspondent almost always sends a holiday card with an Aussie theme and my friend in England buys hers from the RHS; we are both gardeners and so that's the theme of hers. And thankfully they never have glitter, which I absolutely loathe on greeting cards. Won't send 'em and won't save 'em!

Also I have to admit that my handwriting -- which was never great -- has gotten worse and worse with advancing age and so I tend to avoid writing more than a one-sentence message, if that, on the cards I send. Trust me: I'm doing the recipient a favor! LOL

An earlier poster mentioned that they still get cards from older relatives who "just sign them" but although that may look like laziness it could also be that they find writing physically uncomfortable, whether through arthritis or other issues. And if any of them have had chemotherapy in the past, several widely used chemo drugs (such as Taxotere) are notorious for causing neuropathy in hands and/or feet that is often permanent.
We got one from my husbandís uncle who was 94 last year. He even forgot to put his name, but he did write something. We guessed it was him. This year he passed away at age 95.
I tried to encourage my husband to write something and not just sign them. I hate receiving card with nothing but signature.
But I hang my cards up near my fireplace, so itís decorative for the season.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:47 AM

2,512 posts, read 1,332,170 times
I do think the internet has replaced the holiday card. I find it sad, but time marches on...

I recently did a big purge of those who hadn't sent in a few years. Down to about 15 now

I certainly don't want my cards to be a source of annoyance to anyone, as a cousin hinted in an email one year

Old 11-25-2018, 10:55 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,653,928 times
For years I made it a point to not care if I got cards back from people or not. But, when you send out 100 or so and only get back 3 it's time to rethink that idea, LOL.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:13 AM

8,962 posts, read 7,737,941 times
Have not sent any cards other than money cards to grandkids.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:46 PM

14,391 posts, read 7,921,507 times
I stopped sending Christmas cards out about a decade ago. It turned into something I dreaded so why bother?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or