U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 10:47 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,623,694 times

Advertisements

I'm a bit younger, but I treasure the season greeting cards. Not really the ones that are just nothing, but the ones that have a bit of the year story. I don't care if it's boastful or well written. I daresay that it's quaint.

Being at the tail end of when people used to WRITE each other, my wife discovered the letters. Some were old gf letters, some friends and family. Some had doodles or drawings. Some were barely legible. I showed her a couple. I told her, I remember that day clearly when I read through them. I think she understood. There's no forlorn love on the old flings. There's no want to re-establish ties with friends that grew apart, but at that moment, there's something concrete that validated that moment. E-mail just isn't the same.

She understood, and we started to write each other love letters for a few years. Of course, I still have them.

If you're on the fence, I say send them out. Put a little thought into what you're saying and simply do it. If you never get a response, so be it. It's a very low level response way to communicate and can be dealt with or ignored at will. Who knows what you may get in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 04:08 AM

1,069 posts, read 805,808 times
I stopped sending cards several years ago. 95% percent of my list had stopped reciprocating because they either no longer wanted to take the time to even sign a card & address an envelop, didn't want to spend money on stamps, or both.

Some tried sending me e-cards to which I replied "don't bother". I hate e-cards for anything and these days one never knows when there might be malware attached .

Old 11-26-2018, 04:31 AM

39,332 posts, read 2,970,878 times
I love receiving the cards, but find sending them, a chore, but one I do. It is the only time I hear from some family & old friends, so it is important to me, to continue to do it.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:50 AM

4,687 posts, read 5,534,464 times
Sending holiday cards: Do you still do it?

Absolutely. We've done so every year of our marriage (43 and counting).

It's always been a good way to keep in touch with family and friends who moved away and therefore we don't get see them in person as often as we would like.

Four years ago it was my wife and I moving away ... from Northern Virginia to Maine. Although we still see family and friends as much as we can (we had 24 visitors spread over 3 months last summer ... one of the nicest things about having a lakefront house in Maine - people want to visit!), we have friends who we just don't see all that often.

This year we had Christmas cards printed for us with a picture of a painting my wife did on the front. Assuming I get a good shot this winter, our cards next year will feature one of my photos.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:47 AM

10,181 posts, read 12,235,799 times
I put cards in 3 categories:

1. the brag card- usually a letter on how great things are, kids are geniuses, retirement is awesome, we went to Hawaii twice last year
2. basic card- happy holidays
3. I forgot you card- your card gets to them 2nd week of December and a week later you get a card from them

I had a relative that loved the brag card but I never got the brag letter enclosed but another relative did so we always laughed about it. All awesome tales, NONE of the bad stuff/reality like the reason you had the time to go to Hawaii twice was you got fired from your job and use credit card points to buy the tickets. The airline bumped you on your way home and you had been given two more tickets for free which is why you went back again for free. No pics of the one star fleabag hotel you stayed in because you were broke or mention of the time you wasted at a timeshare pitch so you could get a free steak dinner.

Most memorable- very hot chick sent one standing on a mountain with 8-9 guys. Went skiing for 10 days and oddly enough her boyfriend kicked her out of his house upon her return.......hmmmm so what happened on that ski trip when one hot chick is alone with 8-9 guys. Picture can say 1000 words but all I got on the inside was happy holidays.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:49 AM

2,072 posts, read 703,003 times
The first year I was on my own after college was in 1975. I sent out cards to out-of-town family members with a hand-written letter in each one. Not a photocopy of a generic version; those typically tell only the FaceBook version of your life and refer to people you don't know ("we lost poor Great Aunt Mehitabel last year..."). It takes time but my family isn't a gift-giving culture (for which I'm grateful) and it's the antithesis of all the gift-buying everyone else is doing this time of year. I started adding a page of pictures 15 years ago- mostly my travels and now my grandchildren. Every year at least one or two people tell me how much that letter means to them. Last year I visited my Uncle in a nursing home when I was in Ohio; he was in the last months before death from Alzheimer's but he remembered me and my letters. My Aunt was stunned; she said she wasn't even sure he knew who SHE was even though she was there every day.

So, it's been over 40 years. Many original recipients have died but as nieces and nephews grow up and set up their own households, I add them, too.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:08 AM

2,517 posts, read 3,504,493 times
I love Christmas letters, both mine and the ones I get. Mine I create for me so I can read them in later years and remember the year. Every now and then at Christmas when I'm filing a new one I pull out some random old ones and am shocked at all the great things I did. It also reminds me how I felt at that time. I get to see great pictures of my dogs or other important things in my life. I feel terrific reading back through them and very appreciative for my life.

I love getting them. The more braggy the better. I want to read about all the good things in peoples lives and how much they enjoyed them. I don't do social media. Too much mundane stuff but if it is big enough to make the holiday letter than I want to hear about it.

I do not like getting a card with a signature and nothing else.

I've tried to take the people off my list who give a vibe of not wanting them. I don't use just a non-response as a criteria, because some relatives seem to like them but are older or reclusive. But it is hard to tell who likes them and who doesn't if they don't say anything. So if you hate them please tell the person who is sending it so they can take you off the list.

Everyone is different so there is nothing wrong with liking or hating them but I hate to think I'm making someone miserable with my holiday letter.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:24 AM

363 posts, read 242,663 times
Just thinking about it makes me cringe. I use to enjoy writing the cards, complete with a hand written note. I've been writing them for over 30 years. The number was once about 50 cards, relatives, friends, old neighbors, etc...The number has dropped to about 20 in recent years.

I'm an old fashioned guy, I remember my mom writing and receiving many cards, it was part of our tradition. But...I'm done. Too much work, time to move on.

I still get a real tree.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:48 AM

1,163 posts, read 530,604 times
My husband and I are only in our thirties and we send about 50 each year. My parents send out about 100. I’m pretty sure the in-laws send about 50.

We figure that it’s only once a year and people like getting them. I remember when my mom would send them she would go through her address book and decide who would get them. I didn’t recognize half of the people, but she still sent them.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:06 AM

364 posts, read 125,663 times
I do not use social media. I used to send cards to every Tom, Dick and Harry but now I'm at the point that I only send cards to a few select people: 3 relatives, a sibling, a close friend, and the next door neighbor (less than 10 cards). Sometimes I get cards from people I'm not close with and would rather not get a card from. I may reciprocate and send them a card but not always. Some years I don't even send cards to the crucial people. Why bother? I end up tossing mine in the trash can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or