U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 07:13 PM

3,545 posts, read 1,355,757 times

Advertisements

yes.
we still do it.

3 reasons:
1. no computers for some.
2. no other yearly contact for others.
3. no other way to send a Handwritten and truly heart-felt Christmas wish to our far-flung friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 08:07 PM

1,802 posts, read 3,833,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Rothbear,you get my respect! Handcrafted cards .. .love it!
When my mother passed ...I begrudgingly sifted thru her memory box. Oh some of the holiday cards ...from handcrafted by my talented sister in law to the hilarious ones! It meant the world to me....that so many cared about her. I've chosen to keep them...
It's a holiday reminder that she left a place in my heart..particularly when I miss her on holidays. So keep sending and making cards...I for one appreciate 'em long after the paper has yellowed or the signature has faded...
Thank you....how nice. Another reason I don't like the digital scrapbooking is that I feel that the actual writing is important. I so treasure those letters, notes and pictures that have my parents and grandparents handwriting on them. If you are interested, please check out my blog at inkedtreasures dot wordpress dot com.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:29 PM

1,158 posts, read 648,842 times
I send cards to my Sibling and DH's siblings, my milaw, 2 cousins. 1 card with a personal letter to a high school chum who does the same every Christmas. 1 card with a personal letter to another cousin who also writes to me. We actually send snail mail letters to each other every month or so.

We used to get a lot of business cards each year. Last year we only got a couple.

I will probably send about 10. And I'll probably get 6. I'll probably get 1 e-card. It isn't the same as it used to be. I keep the cards I haven't used out of the box and every few years I'll finish the box. If someone gets the same card twice, they probably don't remember.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:26 AM

23,572 posts, read 17,544,804 times
No, but I would like to receive some on occasion from people I haven't heard from in awhile

Old 11-27-2018, 07:14 AM

1,321 posts, read 644,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
No, but I would like to receive some on occasion from people I haven't heard from in awhile
Maybe they feel the same, and are wondering why, they have not heard from you. Go ahead and spend that two dollars on a box of cards. May just leave you with a good feeling

Old 12-07-2018, 04:42 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,506,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
(Inspired by the tree thread, lol)

I remember my mom sending 50-100 Christmas cards when I was growing up in the 1950s. My dad would bring a list home from the office (mimeographed, all the employees got it) and it was expected that a card would be sent to everyone on the list, plus of course to family members, neighbors, and any other friends. Postage was either 3 or 4 cents at the time. My job was to lick the stamps and the envelopes, so everything tasted like glue for hours afterwards, LOL.

For most of my adult life I sent cards (usually 24 or 25 in a box) to whatever combination of co-workers, friends, and neighbors there were. Immediate family always got specialized cards bought at Hallmark, given in person on the day along with their gifts.

Eventually my non-family card people list has gone down to only 11, which is irksome because boxed cards usually contain 18 or 20 which means I only use about half of them. But even at $20/box it is still less expensive than buying eleven individual cards at Hallmark at $5 a pop, lol. So I order a box of cards from the National Wildlife Federation (theirs are always nice, and I am super fussy about greeting cards in general), end up with half of them left over, and then buy individual specialized cards for my son, daughter-in-law, and grandchild. Fourteen cards at a cost of $35 or so total.

Are your holiday-card buying/sending habits different now? and if so, how: more cards, or less? Have you gotten away from paper cards in favor of e-cards (is that still a thing?)
My mom sent out cards the way yours did too. Everyone in our family did. When people starting doing email cards I found them cute at first then disappointing. We went bark to select cards plus an annual "update" letter in holiday motif to close family and friends.

I find social media to be cold and impersonal. Sometimes it is nice to choose an alternative way to say to someone, "I am thinking of you" and that you took the time to pick out a special card for someone.

This year it is just me and I am going back to simple cards to a few friends. Most family is now gone. No update letter. Those who know me know what is going on.

I like the Dollar Tree cards for 50 cents. Cute enough and with the postage about a buck in the mailbox. People say they like getting real cards and I enjoy sending them, so I am renewing the tradition.

Same with vinyl records, real books that you hold in your hand, and home cooking shared with neighbors like in the old days.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:56 AM

1,186 posts, read 662,802 times
I just sent only 22 cards. I write a few sentences on each card as I think to get a card with just a signature is pretty worthless but sometimes that's all someone can manage. I do enjoy getting the photo cards from my nieces and nephews of their growing children in return.

On the other hand, I no longer get the "brag" letters which were common awhile back. My mother used to beg me to ask my brother not to send those about his family as she found it so tacky and embarrassing. He used to write an entire paragraph on each member of the family - have mercy - and some "letters" were 2-3 pages long. That stopped after his divorce.

I am not on Facebook and never will be so I do send Christmas and birthday cards although friends/family do exchange emails, calls and texts.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:16 AM

13,216 posts, read 6,313,926 times
I was looking for Xmas yesterday and I didn’t find any in boxes, too cheap to buy individual cards.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:32 PM

652 posts, read 890,109 times
I still send cards as do most of my family. I love seeing pictures with cards -- of other's grandchildren, pets, etc. And the older people in my family really look forward to the cards, so I must carry on the tradition. I send about 50 cards out to friends, family and neighbors.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:17 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,596,167 times
Still send cards, including the annual “newsletter”. Am I the only one who actually enjoys getting those? Yes, they are a brag in many (most?) cases but at least you are finding out what’s happening in their lives. Oh, they shouldn’t be single spaced, multiple pages, but I figure two pages or less with lots of pictures and fewer words gets the message across. Still, many times I’d even taken multiple pages instead of just a signature from someone I haven’t heard from or about for the whole year, or more and really would like to know how they are doing. Besides, I keep my old ones as part of a Christmas memory book and it’s been helpful to me over the years to remember just what we did do or when something did happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or