U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 11:21 AM

1,624 posts, read 559,576 times

Advertisements

(Inspired by the tree thread, lol)

I remember my mom sending 50-100 Christmas cards when I was growing up in the 1950s. My dad would bring a list home from the office (mimeographed, all the employees got it) and it was expected that a card would be sent to everyone on the list, plus of course to family members, neighbors, and any other friends. Postage was either 3 or 4 cents at the time. My job was to lick the stamps and the envelopes, so everything tasted like glue for hours afterwards, LOL.

For most of my adult life I sent cards (usually 24 or 25 in a box) to whatever combination of co-workers, friends, and neighbors there were. Immediate family always got specialized cards bought at Hallmark, given in person on the day along with their gifts.

Eventually my non-family card people list has gone down to only 11, which is irksome because boxed cards usually contain 18 or 20 which means I only use about half of them. But even at $20/box it is still less expensive than buying eleven individual cards at Hallmark at $5 a pop, lol. So I order a box of cards from the National Wildlife Federation (theirs are always nice, and I am super fussy about greeting cards in general), end up with half of them left over, and then buy individual specialized cards for my son, daughter-in-law, and grandchild. Fourteen cards at a cost of $35 or so total.

Are your holiday-card buying/sending habits different now? and if so, how: more cards, or less? Have you gotten away from paper cards in favor of e-cards (is that still a thing?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 11:25 AM

2,384 posts, read 908,448 times
I think my wife stopped a year or two ago. Why send cards when social media makes sending a picture or holiday wishes so much easier. Cheaper too

Old 11-24-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Why send cards when social media makes sending a picture or holiday wishes so much easier.

Not everyone uses social media. I don't, which means even if some of my 'card people' do, that effectively lets out that option.

Looking at my list of 11 "card people" I know that six of them definitely do not use social media. One of the others uses Facebook only so that she can view her son and daughter in law's page; she has nothing on her own. Not sure about the other four recipients, but none has ever mentioned using social media or asked me if I do. My son and DIL use Facebook on the private settings but because there's nothing in the known universe that would ever induce me to use Facebook, Instagram, or any of the other social media sites, that's a non-factor.

I'm no technophobe but the concept of social media has always been one that I've disliked from its inception. I realize that some people love it, and that's fine for them. But it doesn't appeal to everyone, especially those to whom privacy is important. My son and DIL know that they are never to put any photo of me, or one that includes me, on their Facebook pages, for example.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:38 AM

563 posts, read 265,846 times
For the past 10 years our card list has continued to go down as we lost family and friends. My only surviving cousin died last week so our card list is just two cards now. They are both old friends.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:42 AM

13,191 posts, read 6,308,074 times
We still do but the number is dwindling to less than 10 now. It turns out my sister and brother don’t want a card, they thanked me for not sending them any last year, they felt obligated to return. My brother sends me an e-card now. So it’s just my husband’s friends now.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:43 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,096,227 times
I haven't had a Christmas card list for decades, but every year one distant relative will send one. I think even he stopped last year, not sure.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:48 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
I will this year. Had a "professional" picture taken and I bought some Christmas cards with my beautiful picture on them - lol!

My family will be so happy to see it.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It turns out my sister and brother don’t want a card, they thanked me for not sending them any last year, they felt obligated to return.
Now, see, that's kind of my dilemma for a couple of people on my list. I had been sending a card to this one gal for years and then two years ago I pared down the list, partly -- to be honest -- because she never sent one. We only talk by phone maybe 3x a year anyhow. Well, a few months after my 'skipped' year she mentioned that because she didn't get a card from me, she wondered if everything was okay. So I fibbed and said I had decided to stop sending all cards "for budget reasons". There's another couple on the list that I literally have spoken to once in the past four years but they always send a card and so I feel obligated to send one back. There's another couple, same situation, that I initially don't send a card to, hoping they won't send one that I'll have to respond to with one of my own. It just doesn't make sense to me to keep sending cards to people that I used to see fairly regularly 10 or 15 years ago but have fallen out of touch with and/or have little in common with anymore, and may see or speak to once or twice a year at most. (And they are all local, so it would be logistically possible.)

To be honest, of my list of 11 non-family people there are only 7 that I actively want to send cards to. Two of those live in other countries and so the postage is higher. I feel particularly guilty that when my friend/correspondent in Australia sends me a card it costs her almost $5 in postage (it's $1.10 from here to there.) I feel like I may be obligating her to spend that money by sending her a card but don't know how to ask tactfully.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:05 PM

15,201 posts, read 8,509,345 times
I found out the hard way many years ago...I was on the brink of divorce and not in any kind of holiday spirit so I was much later than usual in sending out my cards...maybe less than a week before Christmas. I got maybe a quarter of the cards I usually got, and some of them obviously sent AFTER mine went out.

That was the end for me - no more trying to come up with a few "newsy" lines for each card, the endless addressing and expensive postage. It takes something like that to tell you who does and doesn't care.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:12 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,876,213 times
My wife is into scrap booking and makes a big production of it, cutting out designs with her Cricut, assembling the cards and writing a letter for inside. People appreciate getting them or at least a fair number of people tell us they do. One relative saves them and puts them out as a decoration, standing partly opened on a half wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or