U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 12:12 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,341,203 times

Advertisements

I had trouble finding people to hang with when I moved to VT. I found them at the dog park. Most are older like me so don't do the ski, snowboard, ATV stuff. But we love going to the dog park at this time of year because the dogs love running in the snow so much. Fun to watch them.

Some around here do snowshoeing which is not too strenuous. There is a hiking club that sponsors them. In the summer they have Easy, Medium and Hard hikes, so something for everyone.

Maybe I missed it, but did you ever figure out what the extreme fatigue was all about a few months ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 12:36 PM

13,314 posts, read 25,550,246 times
No, thank you for asking. I had all the big guns ruled out and my supplements guy figured it might be some sort of adrenal fatigue and put me on supplements and worked with me for an exercise program, which was doing well until last week, when I again felt exhausted. I do think this recent run was this severe cold/mild pneumonia that I am now recovering from. I also hope to stop sleeping 12+ hours which has been part of the syndrome.

I just feel like I am treading carefully with regards to energy and health. Apparently my years of bulling my way through on night shifts are well over.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:59 PM

14,370 posts, read 7,916,313 times
I remember working all of the holidays as well BDL for the time and a half and so that coworkers with kids could be with their family. I enjoyed being with my "work Family" on the holidays. I think this was my third Thanksgiving away from work and to be honest, I enjoy not working better. It was spent with friends and a precious 6 year old.

It sucks when you get sick on the holidays. I had that head cold on Halloween with 22 people in the house. I couldn't cancel the party, I didn't want to disappoint my friends. Sometimes I wish I had some other place to go on Thanksgiving. I'm tired of hosting it every year, and I will be doing Christmas again too. (I was super sick last Christmas Eve)
We can complain and be dissatisfied with our life, but it is we who determine where that life goes. It's nice that you have friends in your new home BDL. That's hard to do sometimes. You're lucky. I would love to do volunteer work with those mini horses. That sounds amazing.
It sounds like you're adjusting well to your new life. I admire your courage for changing your life and doing it alone. That takes a lot of guts. There's no doubt in my mind that you will have a lot of friends there in no time.
Feel better and put a menthol Halls in that hot tea. It helps open up the airways. So does non drowsy formula Sudafed.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:27 PM

Thank you for your kind words ^^^
I've chosen a town that is full of transplants, both recent and not so recent. It seems to be a town of middle-aged women and dogs, lots of dogs. The major social activities, besides those who ski and so forth, seem to be fundraisers, community events and such. I have always preferred new people one to one, and am very shy in large groups of strangers but gotta bite the bullet now. I didn't see any way to live this kind of life in eastern MA, with people living so far apart, career/finances-overwhelmed, and forget it if they were in couples. I feel fortunate that there are people here who seem open to being friendly whether in a couple or not.

I gather hoping for a date/boyfriend/etc. is extremely unlikely. Certainly anyone I've talked to has said so (although I also guess that a few husbands moved on to new and usually younger transplants). Hey, there's always ski bums who get kicked out of their house up at the ski resort! I've never been drawn to stability for its own sake- just wanna break even over time.

It actually was probably kind of easier for me to make this move "alone," than if in a couple. Who's to say that a husband/partner would want to move to such a place after a lifetime near Boston? The kicker for me really was that I didn't see how I would have a horse life in eastern MA, nowhere I wanted to ride even if I could afford my own horse. It's a plan for next spring/summer to set up a horse life, thinking to lease a horse (like a timeshare only a horse).

I know a horse life isn't anywhere close to an OLD age plan, so I wanted to get on with it while I could. No desire to travel and realized I would only travel to ride in Colorado, so...

One thing I really like here is that it doesn't appear that anyone lives here or moves here to "get ahead," as there is no ahead to get (except maybe in escalating real estate). People are here because they really want to be here, in this community and in these mountains, and seem to do whatever they need to to be here, but aren't "success" oriented. I really like that, after the increasing pressure cooker of eastern MA with expenses and degrees and traffic and people from all over the world either curing cancer or whipping software into shape. Unlikely anyone would take a day off from Biogen or some such because there was fresh powder, whereas here it seems to be a given.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:53 PM

3,686 posts, read 1,866,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Actually, I've had less than no trouble sleeping- been sleeping without any aid at least 12 hours a night.
If I wanted cannabinoids, frankly, I'd want something that would give me a high feeling. When smoking whatever when I was younger, all I got was numb and hungry. Once on vacation in CO, I bought legal infused cola and a "rookie cookie" and got... numb and hungry. I have always envied people who seem to get happier, more sensations, clarity, etc. from MJ in any form. Yes, here I am in Colorado, don't ski, barely drink, and don't get high from MJ, with two dispensaries within walking distance. 'sigh'
Try half of a 10mg gummie. Gives me the warm fuzzies, everything feels softer and gentler when I partake. Not legal here in TX so I enjoy being a tourist occasionally....

If you are feeling down, you might try amending your diet, cut way down on carbs. They can certainly affect your mental ability and outlook.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:03 PM

I will take your recommendation for half a gummy. Cannot stand smoke. I am not feeling any more down than normal (have always had some depression and feelings of isolation) and am happy to report that I have been cooking and eating extremely well for a few months now, with a special distaste for refined carbs. Can't believe how badly I was eating when working night shifts. Everything was so unhealthy then, sleep, eat, carbs, no exercise. I am ready to believe that I am still recovering from those years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement