Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 09:57 PM

18,638 posts, read 33,203,329 times

Advertisements

Actually, I've had less than no trouble sleeping- been sleeping without any aid at least 12 hours a night.
If I wanted cannabinoids, frankly, I'd want something that would give me a high feeling. When smoking whatever when I was younger, all I got was numb and hungry. Once on vacation in CO, I bought legal infused cola and a "rookie cookie" and got... numb and hungry. I have always envied people who seem to get happier, more sensations, clarity, etc. from MJ in any form. Yes, here I am in Colorado, don't ski, barely drink, and don't get high from MJ, with two dispensaries within walking distance. 'sigh'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 10:50 PM

12,048 posts, read 10,185,676 times
Hope you start feeling better

Maybe you need to be on a beach!

Old 11-24-2018, 11:31 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,414,375 times
Hi, BDL, I don’t have a lot to offer except to say that I’m still enjoying reading about your retirement odyssey and hoping that you will feel better soon.

Also I wanted to say that I know how you feel about holidays, and to share what I know you are already aware of, and that is that having family is no guarantee that you will be have a Hallmark holiday...trust me on that one.

I love dogs, too, and they have sure been more loving and loyal than most people...hmm, maybe all people.

Anyway, I am glad that you posted.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:08 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,435,616 times
Best of luck to you and get well soon. I look forward to your posts about adjusting to retirement.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:36 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,649,173 times
The length and intensity of your work life, shift work, selling a home, building a home, move across the country. I think a major crash was inevitable. You know this but its still disappointing to have everything you wanted and not be able to enjoy it.

It took me a year+. You appear to be taking care of yourself. Keep as active and social as is comfortable for you. I think you will see yourself move forward, slowly but surely. Don't rush. I feel younger now at 70 than I did 10 years ago. I am in better health and enjoying life.

Good luck and keep posting

Old 11-25-2018, 11:03 AM

^^^
That is very reassuring, thank you and thanks to all for the well-wishes. I think I am recovering from either a very bad cold or a light pneumonia (per Web M.D.) My doc's office was out of the pneumonia vaccine when I was there last, so next visit.
It is wonderfully sunny and cold and dry, my house is snug with a view (my firewood too new to use in the stove) and my dogs are in and out of the yard just fine. I am actually relieved to know/think that I had a mild pneumonia and not another fatigue collapse. Am seeing my supplements guy tomorrow and will consider when to resume circuit training.

I've decided I really like circuit training. It feels like stretching, but to the max, and I feel much stronger and more stable for having done it. I know resistance training is recommended for older people for mobility and stability, and I do like it. Just conked out with exhaustion the last time I went. There went my plan for very slow acceleration after two-some weeks of doing very well.

I do admit that, while never a Type A personality! I have felt like, if I'm not active and enthused and all, how will I be liked? Didn't help that I went to a little local theater to see a special presentation of a film tribute to Warren Miller (for those skiers who are familiar) Ski enthusiasts all over, so much excitement over extreme skiing, and all I want to do is look at the mountains. I guess I live up in my head so much, always have and wonder about fitting into a world of outdoorsy people.

Silly stuff. I appreciate the advice to go slowly. Seems to be the right pace. I am very glad I retired when I did, even though it was financially a year or two sub-optimal. Working is like a dream I had a while ago. I don't miss it or eastern MA at all. I am still very glad to be where I am, even if I don't know exactly why.
Thank you for your responses.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:02 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,111,049 times
I used to get sick every Thanksgiving for years until I realized that it had been then that my sister had been injured and nearly died at that time of year. After I made the association I never got sick on Thanksgiving again, [well not entirely true in 2014 I did have a heart attack the week of Thanksgiving.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:14 PM

I certainly think a heart attack counts!
I seem to specialize in car breakdowns and/or animal emergencies on holiday weekends. Now that weekends don't matter to me, it's apparently my turn (or maybe it's the new car and the dogs are all stable in their old age).

Old 11-25-2018, 01:01 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,781,699 times
Actually there's three shops within walking distance of you. Hang in there. My favorite time when I lived there was winter, loved long walks when everyone was gone and the streets were snow packed.

Enjoy paradise!

Old 11-25-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Actually there's three shops within walking distance of you. Hang in there. My favorite time when I lived there was winter, loved long walks when everyone was gone and the streets were snow packed.
Enjoy paradise!
I know Rocky Mountain Cannabis, up by the Full Tilt Saloon, and Fiddler's Green, back on Palomino where I used to stay when visiting. I think there was a third but no more? I hear it said that Ridgway has two of everything, two liquor stores, two accountants (and I wish someone of them would call me back!) and two dispensaries. If I remember, the third MJ shop closed down for irregularities of some kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement