U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 05:01 AM

13,874 posts, read 7,386,288 times

Advertisements

I own one but it’s for my mother. She’s going to be cremated with a headstone. My will says to cremate me, toss my ashes in the bay, and put a marker on my mother’s plot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 07:30 AM

2,076 posts, read 703,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
No plots here, we bought some special urns for our cremated remains. About 55% of US citizens get cremated these days.
One point I wanted to mention in favor of cremation: it allows you some time to plan the funeral and for the out-of-town relatives to get decent airfares. (Airlines used to offer "bereavement fares" but typically they were some small % off full fare and no bargain at all.)

DH died on November 15, 2016, four months after being diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia. DS and DDIL, who are a 3-hour drive away, were expecting their second child in late November. I ended up scheduling the funeral for January because I didn't want DS and DDIL to have to travel right after the baby was born (they also had a 2-year old) and there were no guarantees the baby would wait till her due date, either!

It all worked out very well- the baby was born November 29 and DDIL had a superficial thrombosis, but I was up there taking care of Big Sister and DDIL could go to her own doctor and get the care she needed (which turned out to be injecting herself daily with an anti-clotting agent). I told the out-of-town family they didn't need to be at the funeral, which was January 14- they'd all have had to get on planes and they'd seen DH the month before he died- but it was really important to have DS and DDIL there.

DH's ashes are still in the made-in-China plastic container from the mortuary but my brother, a gifted woodworker, has made a box to store them. I'll be picking that up when I visit at Christmas. DH would be happy with that.

Last edited by athena53; 11-27-2018 at 08:53 AM..

Old 11-27-2018, 08:42 AM

11,082 posts, read 12,461,714 times
Don't have one, waste of money.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:28 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,168,437 times
I find it very annoying that some of those here are trying to influence others to either have cremation of no funeral at all. Talk about none of your business what someone else chooses to do with their Earthly remains!

It is one thing to state what YOU want or are going to do, quite another to tell others what they should be doing.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:06 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,843,314 times
Our son just passed away so we decided to buy 3, so it's something that is done. Plots are much less expensive here than in NY, where I am from, and it's something that we or our heirs will not have to worry about.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:34 AM

169 posts, read 101,202 times
My parents purchased their plots and caskets about 20 years before they died. The only thing my brother and I had to do was pick the day of the funeral.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:03 PM

245 posts, read 78,824 times
If my body is tossed in a field to let the buzzards pick my bones or if my body is put in a casket, it makes no difference to me. I certainly won't care when I'm dead.

Why waste money on that stuff?

Old 11-28-2018, 07:10 PM

963 posts, read 1,522,895 times
My parents and extended family purchased several plots decades ago. There's no order to it. Whoever dies next, gets the next space. This is a cemetery in rural Kansas, so there's no shortage of land.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:52 PM

136 posts, read 65,238 times
Ms gamboolgal and I bought our plots in rural small town East Texas in a old cemetery that has lots of family in it.

We bought the lots when we were mid 50's in age. We have paid for the Funeral Home for both of us - sticker shock !

We will get headstone bought ahead of time in the next year or two.

We want to have everything prepared and took care of ahead of time as that is just how we are.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:59 AM

2,076 posts, read 703,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
If my body is tossed in a field to let the buzzards pick my bones or if my body is put in a casket, it makes no difference to me. I certainly won't care when I'm dead.

Why waste money on that stuff?
You might like this option.

https://www.allcriminaljusticeschool...ensic-science/

It's a body farm in Tennessee. Corpses (either unclaimed or donated for this purpose) are left out in various conditions to see how they deteriorate. It gives coroners more information on how to estimate time of death. You might even get a few buzzards!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or