U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 08:59 AM

23,581 posts, read 17,567,761 times

Advertisements

Back in the 1990s, my grandparents bought six plots at a cemetery near our local airport. Two for them, two for my parents, one for my aunt, one for me.

My grandfather changed his mine and wanted to be buried next to some other family members at another cemetery. My aunt's husband died in 2010, and he's in a mausoleum at the same cemetery. She'll likely be buried there as well.

If I were to die today, I'd be buried near the Tri-Cities Regional Airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 06:43 PM

6,125 posts, read 9,081,096 times
My mother bought me and my (now ex) husband plots next to theirs. This was in 1987. I want to sell but the cemetery won't buy back. His advice: Sell them on Craigs List. They have about doubled in price now. But, sell on CL?? I would have to get my ex to sign a quit claim before selling. So, I am just going to forget the whole thing and will them to my daughter. I just want to be cremated.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:59 PM

9,682 posts, read 15,864,806 times
Default Pre-need funeral planning

Has anyone done pre-need funeral planning, and how much planning have you done?

Last week, dh and I bought our cremation niches. We know where we wish to be immured, and felt we might as well go ahead and pay for them now. The prices have been going up steadily, about 10%/year. I feel we made a 10% investment Also, they are going fast, and we do want to be side-by-side, which may not be possible later, at least not how we wish.

Mainly, I want to spare my - barely - adult children from making such decisions. They wouldn't know where to begin! I was 36 when my mother died, and it was my turn to do the arrangements, but I knew everything she wanted, and the plots were already bought decades ago. She had plenty of life insurance, but I had to put the expenses on a credit card until the life insurance paid, about a month. My kids don't have credit, and wouldn't know how to finance such.

What I'm asking here is, should we go ahead and pre-pay our cremation expenses now? Of course, we could just put that money aside, preferably in a joint account with the kids, so they would have immediate access to cash, but there again, I just don't think my kids would handle such financial transactions well. Perhaps a POD? But there again, POD's take awhile to process. My mother left me a POD and it took about 60 days to turn around.

So, suggestions?

Old 12-04-2018, 08:08 PM

4,625 posts, read 4,466,840 times
[mod note] The above post #73 was posted as a new thread. Since there was an active thread on this topic, that post was merged into this thread. [/mod note]

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 12-05-2018 at 12:48 PM..

Old 12-08-2018, 08:36 PM

171 posts, read 107,802 times
All I know is that I do not want to be put in a box and buried in the ground. I had much rather be cremated. I would like for my ashes to put in a bio urn and be planted as a tree. Giving back to mother earth.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:12 PM

634 posts, read 404,078 times
I will be cremated, and my remains spread on this property, primarily in my favorite "hidey holes." This place is being left to AutHaven Community and My Autistic family loved ones have assured me my wishes will be honored and that it will be special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or