U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 07:44 AM

341 posts, read 140,780 times

Advertisements

I haven't bought any cemetery plots yet or even discussed issue with hub (who would immediately get depressed thinking about it). Neither of us had a brush with death but doing genealogy made me think about how nice it is to have family headstones as I found on findagrave dot com. Before that cremation seemed no-brainer.

We live 1200 miles away from our home state where we will never return.
But I really like the idea of a headstone near previous generations. Of course hubs church cemetery and my family's cemetery are about 50 miles apart and both very crowded, probably can't get a plot either place.

So many retired people move away this problem must have been solved already. Ideas?

edit to add: I am an artist and garden lover and one of my "fantasy wishes" is to create a beautiful cemetery (like the famous one in Savannah) where artists could create their own monuments. Rudolph Nuryev's is one of the most beautiful in Paris. Weird fantasy wish I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 07:59 AM

6,313 posts, read 5,053,602 times
I am going to be cremated and remains will be buried with my parents.

You should make your arrangements. Both of my parents had and it made everything so easy.

Why get depressed about dying? It is just another phase of "life".

Old 11-25-2018, 08:08 AM

5,783 posts, read 4,833,476 times
No, but we have our pre-paid cremation plans that we purchased this year (ages 59 and 64). I would like my ashes to be spread at sea. No headstones.

We did have to sell my MIL's old plot. She had planned for her and her husband to be buried there next to her mother, but when one of her children passed, she used one of the plots for him, and then she never sold the other when their plans changed to be cremated and interred at the veteran's cemetery. It was a bit of a pain to sell because the plot was still in her name, and she was deceased.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:10 AM

21,845 posts, read 16,687,197 times
I haven't given it much thought yet, but I rather like the idea of a burial at sea - either a full-body burial at sea, or having the cremated ashes scattered at sea.
Burials at Sea Cost

https://personalfinance.costhelper.c...ls-at-sea.html

Old 11-25-2018, 08:49 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,070,942 times
Cremation for me. I told my wife I want my ashes on top of Mt Everest and I am holding her to it I sure hope she is up to the climb.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:53 AM

16,354 posts, read 10,337,852 times
cremation for me too. Ashes to be scattered. Legal in PA-I checked.

all prepaid after I sold my previous house.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:14 AM

4,365 posts, read 3,698,498 times
I would go for cremation and spreading the ashes someplace. But if you want to have your final resting place in a cemetery and you know which one I would buy the plot and headstone. I would also prepay the funeral. The idea is to have all the decisions made so those that you leave behind do not have to go through the process under a lot of pressure.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:41 AM

563 posts, read 266,430 times
We live near the beach so......if I go 1st my husband will put my ashes in the gulf of mexico and vice versa.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:49 AM

5,783 posts, read 4,833,476 times
If you know where you want to be buried, it's also a good idea to look for a plot on the secondary market. We sold my MIL's plot at a discount from what the diocese charges today, and it was in a sought after part of the cemetery that's been sold out for years. I asked the cemetery folks what a similar plot with the similar included costs would run today, and priced it below that a good bit to find a buyer. If you're looking to buy, check Craigslist for the city in which you're looking and you might find a plot at a discount.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:55 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,878,179 times
Waiting until I move in retirement. I will likely donate my body to the nearest medical school. They only take it if you die close by. Backup plan will be cremation with ocean ash scattering; they are all connected so I would not be picky about the exact spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or