U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 01:02 PM

13,274 posts, read 6,356,923 times

Advertisements

I hope to be in my forever home for a while until nursing home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 01:17 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,685,445 times
My friends in Portland gave me the nickname "Gypsy." I think that says it all for me.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:19 PM

12,046 posts, read 5,146,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Maybe it's because of the way I grew up...we moved frequently, and I had to start over as the new kid again and again. I don't think of any place as my forever home. I am always happy where I live, but also thinking fondly about my next move. As an adult I've lived in 6 homes, owned 4 of them, 3 for 10 years each, and the most recent for 5 years. I see myself here for another 5 to 10 years, and then will become a renter probably, to allow me to more easily satisfy my wanderlust. I don't even like to vacation in the same place for very long. I want something new and interesting to explore.
Funny, I had the same type of experience as you did. I think I went to 4 different schools in one year. For me, it was horrible. I hate the thought of moving from one place to another. I have no interest in it at all. I want to be settled in one place, one house one town. My wonderlust was more than amply satisfied for moving when I was a kid.
I have one more move to make in my life and that's in two years when I retire. I'm buying a nice little house and staying there, never to have to move again.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:22 PM

6,326 posts, read 5,069,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I have been in the same house about 25 years. I don't want to retire here but I dread the process of moving, having accumulated so much stuff. I try to convince myself this won't happen again and to some degree it won't because so much of the stuff is related to parts of our life that are really over an should have been cleared out some time ago. There is a lot of stuff kids might take, but probably won't.

Anyway, I am likely to settle in wherever I go when I retire without much chance of moving while I can live independently.
that is why I am getting rid of stuff now - before I turn 60. Not that I have a lot - thank goodness.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:31 PM

1,582 posts, read 1,139,132 times
Home, for me, is my husband. We’ve lived, loved, and worked together since we met, and we’ve spent most of that time on the road (touring), and still do. We have a small cabin in the mountains, which we love, but we spend so little time there that it’s more for storeage than anything else.

Romantically, I love the idea of a multigenerational home, but my life just hasn’t worked out that way. I’m not complaining though; I love my life, and as ‘they’ say, y’can’t have everything.

Love and All Good Things,

Mahrie.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:32 PM

21,189 posts, read 11,814,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Owning and staying there forever! And if something were to happen to it, you would just die.
I don't think of a "forever home" in that way, and I don't know anyone else who does.

It's more about a home that you can envision yourself living in "forever" meaning the rest of your life. So it's a part of the country you could live in indefinitely in terms of being able to handle the weather and the cost of living and the taxes, etc. And it's a specific neighborhood/location that works in terms of access to the amenities you want and need - shopping and medical care and the things you like to do. And then there is the house itself - for a lot of people that means having a bedroom and bathroom on the first floor, even if there is more than one floor, so that if the time comes when climbing stairs is not possible or desirable, you can still function fully.

My current house has a powder room on the first floor, and no bedroom. I suppose if I had to, I could trade my dining room for a bedroom but it wouldn't really be worth what I'd need to do to add a shower if I ever got to the point where I couldn't get upstairs to the second floor where the bedrooms and full bathrooms are. I knew that going in but it's the location I wanted and it works perfectly for my teenager and me at this point in time.

Down the road, I anticipate selling and moving to an apartment style condo or patio home - not just for the layout of the specific unit but also because I'll be happy to give up responsibility for landscaping and lawn mowing and snow shoveling and all the rest of the outside maintenance. We recently moved my mom into a condo where she's very happy now - she's fine living independently but just didn't want to deal with all the responsibilities that came with her large single family home. At that point, I would be looking for something I could consider a "forever home" - meaning that I didn't anticipate making another move the way I did when I bought my current home. Although of course I recognize that life likes to throw curveballs so it's possible that what I plan and what actually happens can differ.

ETA: and of course none of this precludes traveling to other places, while still having a home base. Most people, whether they rent or own, still have a home they return to in between trips even if they travel frequently

Last edited by emm74; 11-25-2018 at 01:50 PM..

Old 11-25-2018, 01:38 PM

2,255 posts, read 1,111,966 times
This is the longest I've ever stayed in one house. My roots here are deep, and I want to stay right here as long as I can. My husband grew up traveling, and he never wants to move again, can't blame him.

So, this is our forever home until someone ships us off to a nursing home. I'm pretty sure we'll both be the kind of nursing home residents who escape at every opportunity. We'll probably try to run away and live in a tent in the woods.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:43 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,882,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
that is why I am getting rid of stuff now - before I turn 60. Not that I have a lot - thank goodness.
I think it is mostly because I am not prone to moving around that I collected so much stuff rather than the other way around, but getting rid of stuff well before I retire would be best. It won't happen before I am 60 as that is now 31 days away (but who's counting?).

Old 11-25-2018, 03:03 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,769,794 times
I've moved 21 times in 44 years. I'm tired of moving from place to place. I want to put down roots. I want to live in a place where I can plant things and watch them actually grow for more than a few years. I'm tired of being at the mercy of people who can dictate to me what I can and can't have in my own place, or whether I can have pets, what color I can paint my walls, or when I have to leave.

That's why I bought my lot. I want my own place where I won't be forced to move unless I can't take care of myself anymore. I want a forever home so I can plan ahead a few years and know I won't have to leave just when I get things the way I want them.

From 'Finding North':

"It's not the sky I'm asking for
I'm just having trouble finding north
I've gone as far as I can go
Trying to find something that feels like home

Who's gonna take my hand, show me the way?
How long will I have to wait for someday?

One more sunset runs away
Becomes another yesterday
I'm still waiting"

Old 11-25-2018, 03:12 PM

605 posts, read 189,500 times
some people are not stable enough to grow roots. That means getting along with, and maintaining the same relationships in the same area you live. That can be a relational skill not everyone posesses. Not good or bad, we have all kinds of folks in the world. It's what makes the world go round
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or