U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 03:37 PM

1,688 posts, read 577,835 times

Advertisements

Having the stability of an owned home is extremely important to me. I could never live a "rental" life; had to do it once, for three months while waiting for a house closing, and it drove me nucking futs. Even the idea of having an owned unit, such as a condo, within the same building envelope as other people makes me shudder.

I would rather have a tiny home on a postage-stamp lot, and own it, than the most spacious luxurious rented apartment within a building among other apartments. That's how strongly I feel about it.

I thought my previous house would be my forever home but a combination of multiple circumstances between 2008 and 2014 made it necessary for me to sell it, after I'd lived there for almost 12 years. Darn near broke my heart, and I cried so hard driving away from the closing that it's a miracle I didn't wreck the car. I've spent the last four years doing the necessary repairs and renovations to my current house so that it's as close as I can make it to what I wanted my forever home to be. It's not anything like my previous house, and there are several things that I'd like to change but will never be able to afford to do ... but it's close enough.

(Or will be, once I get the final two projects done! Darn winter weather.... grrrr....)

Then I'll be able to start on the garden....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 04:29 PM

2,214 posts, read 1,354,565 times
Just below this thread is one titled: When did you buy your cemetery plot? I think that is everyone's forever home.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:38 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,696,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Commercial just came on in the background. Mentioned having a home and feeling secure in your forever home.

And I thought, am I the only one that can feel at home in many places?

I tell everyone that I am going to sell my house or even just sign it away to the roommate or whoever.

They say I should wrangle every dime I can out of it.

Isn't that house prostitution?

Maybe I was born to be a wanderer and thank goodness I have a pension!

Anyone else feel this way?

I think I've done enough 'wandering' in my lifetime and am perfectly happy to consider myself in my "forever home"...area and house. My dad moved us a lot for his work and school when I was growing up. Four schools between Sept. and Feb. when I was in 7th grade and always 'the new kid' in class. Until high school I probably racked up two schools each year. Sometimes we only moved a mile or two but different school districts. It made me adaptable and able to be happy wherever I was but always wanted to stay put SOMEWHERE. Preferably here. Then I ended up following a DH all over the place so lived all over the country. But I always ended up back here when big changes occurred in my life...divorce, etc.. So, yeah, when I came back home for the last time 13 years ago, and then bought my house, I knew I was finally here 'for good'.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:38 PM

5,806 posts, read 4,854,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Funny, I had the same type of experience as you did. I think I went to 4 different schools in one year. For me, it was horrible. I hate the thought of moving from one place to another. I have no interest in it at all. I want to be settled in one place, one house one town. My wonderlust was more than amply satisfied for moving when I was a kid.
I have one more move to make in my life and that's in two years when I retire. I'm buying a nice little house and staying there, never to have to move again.
That is interesting how two people with the same experience in childhood have two different reactions. I don't want to move FREQUENTLY per se, but I don't dread it and after about 10 years I start to get a little antsy and start looking for a change.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:39 PM

1,078 posts, read 521,136 times
Interesting question.

For me, I am really yearning for the lifestyle I had back in NYC in my 20/30s . Not so much the nightlife, but being free of encumbrances.

I have a house, 2 cars, 2 dogs. Talk about anchors....

I love my dogs, but I really could care less about material posssesions. I feel absolutely no attachment to my current or prior homes that I owned.

When the 10 year old dogs die, this house is gone, and I’m going to become a renter. Not sure where, but likely one of the northeast corridor cities.

Won’t miss being anchored at all.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:43 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,696,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Owning and staying there forever! And if something were to happen to it, you would just die.

Well, I wouldn't go THAT far but I'd be unhappy if anything happened to my house!

Old 11-25-2018, 04:50 PM

13,325 posts, read 25,590,184 times
I never wanted to own because I never saw a house that I liked (small, modern) and didn't want to be tied to a place. But the rental/real estate wars in the Boston area became unreasonable and I wanted, finally, to be free of crazy rent-control neighbors and I wanted dogs, not possible in the city in rentals.

Same thing with my retirement house. Nothing small enough to interest me, and I had to go from one house in MA to another in CO because I really wanted to keep having multiple dogs. I've certainly seen condos and apartments bigger than my house, but I wanted exactly what I designed and wanted full control over it (no condo) and really it's hard to find small houses in many places.

So I basically have a small 2-bedroom apartment-sized house with a scaled down yard, no lawn, a fence for dogs. It is the perfect size. I have a 15-year mortgage that takes me up to age 80 if that comes to pass.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:53 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,262,186 times
I feel most comfortable owning my own home and decorating it to reflect my personality and taste. Being on the peripatetic side, once the house is "made mine" I am ready to sell it and move on. I don't think I have ever stayed in a house above 9 years -- and that was because it was flattened by a tornado and took that a while to rebuild. Most of the time I have sold it in 5 years.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:54 PM

9,779 posts, read 14,969,072 times
When I was in high school sixty years ago, I wanted to live in an old farm house on 100 acres in Mane. There was no doubt about it. I live in an old farm house built in 1885 on 107 acres with a spring fed brook and waterfalls. I will never move.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:40 PM

982 posts, read 607,771 times
I lived in my parent's same home from birth to age 27, then moved into my own apartment not far from my parents home and following marriage at 29 my late husband and I lived in this apartment for 4 years. We built a home in the same town I grew up in and moved in shortly after our 4th anniversary where I have been living for the past 28 years. I have no desire to leave my home or location as I am happy with both.

There is no right or wrong way to live, and lucky are those who recognize what is the best situation that meets their individual living needs and desires and is able to fulfill them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or