U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 09:44 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,061,197 times

Advertisements

Every home I've ever lived in is my forever home. We've built two homes in the last 13 years thinking we'd be there until we die and now we're off to build a third home, our final home. We shall see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 09:58 AM

5,759 posts, read 4,177,186 times
Yes, without a place to call home, I'd be lost. I could never just hit the road and keep going. I want a BASE to hang my hat.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:03 AM

2,436 posts, read 1,672,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
Every home I've ever lived in is my forever home. We've built two homes in the last 13 years thinking we'd be there until we die and now we're off to build a third home, our final home. We shall see.
Exactly. Moving to NY and FL werenít planned. They just came about and we went with it. Thinking in terms like never and forever are bound to bite you in the end sooner or later.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:04 AM

8,402 posts, read 9,150,073 times
While we may sell our house someday, we won’t leave the area where we reside. This area is home

Old 11-26-2018, 12:14 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,676,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Exactly. Moving to NY and FL weren’t planned. They just came about and we went with it. Thinking in terms like never and forever are bound to bite you in the end sooner or later.
That’s the way I feel. I thought I would my life in Portland forever or at least in the PNW regarding the regional location in which I was living. Then stuff happened as it will. Now I’m here. Maybe eventually I’ll be someplace else. No guarantees either way.

Last edited by Minervah; 11-26-2018 at 12:24 PM..

Old 11-26-2018, 12:17 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,676,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I had never heard of the "forever home" until I started hanging out here.

No one I know purchased their first home with the intention of it being their last.
Iíve only heard of it used in describing pet adoptions, not as applied to people. I took it as a kind of a play on words.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:54 PM

7,308 posts, read 15,359,891 times
This is the 3rd house I've owned, longest I have lived in a house I owned was 12 years (then 7 years, then almost 6 years in this house). I know this house won't be our last - the next place I own may well be a row house or duplex or townhouse, though. No stairs, just a private small patio and garden to tend.

In fact, now that I think about it, that 12 years is the longest I have lived in any dwelling. As a kid we moved around a lot. The longest I have lived in any region would be living here in the Pacific Northwest - I have lived in Oregon or Southwest Washington since 1981, so that is currently 37 years.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 11-26-2018, 01:08 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,444,536 times
I wish I could remain in my home and make it my forever home. But alas, the State of New Mexico is a complete disaster with open borders, high crime, and more than half the State's population on welfare. And the neighborhood is going to crap - with people leaving stuff around, a lower class moving in and so forth. So after 41 years in my home, it's time to move. I bought my old adobe home in 1977 for only $47,500. After an extensive remodel 13 years ago, (rewired, replumbed, 2nd story added, $290,000 remodel) the house recently appraised for $550,000. It just KILLS me to move, but the place is getting to be a bit much for me. I have the main house 3910 sq ft, a guest cottage 600 sq ft, 2 acres and a pool. As a 67 yr old woman, I am extremely strong and vigorous and do all my own work, having no maid or gardener, only hiring out the stuff I can't do (electrical, tree service, septic, etc).

So although I thought and wished this would remain my forever home, it won't be. Wherever I move, I'll take my furniture, art, etc with me so that hopefully, the next house will be at least, a bit more like home.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:15 PM

56,142 posts, read 54,613,656 times
I think it's too late for that for me.

When I was younger all I ever wanted was a nice home and a whole family, but those things did not work out for me.

I have a small condo of my own, the only real estate I was ever able to attain, but I was 52 before I got it. I always thought I would eventually move somewhere else. I doubt I will ever have a "forever home". I've learned to accept that and remove it from my list of things to aspire to. I think I am a turtle, able to pack up my home and take it with me wherever I go.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:47 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,675,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I don't feel emotionally attached to my house but finding an apartment I could afford on my pension would be difficult. I expect to have to stay here in this 1900 sq foot house until I die.
Couldn't you sell the house and then use the profits to either purchase a smaller home/condo or rent an apartment, if that's what you prefer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or