Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 11:50 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times

Advertisements

Commercial just came on in the background. Mentioned having a home and feeling secure in your forever home.

And I thought, am I the only one that can feel at home in many places?

I tell everyone that I am going to sell my house or even just sign it away to the roommate or whoever.

They say I should wrangle every dime I can out of it.

Isn't that house prostitution?

Maybe I was born to be a wanderer and thank goodness I have a pension!

Anyone else feel this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 11:57 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
I have found a lot of people want to tell us what and how to live, how we should or should not feel. And when we can't do it their way we think we are failures.

For me I have discovered that nobody knows me like I know me, what I want, how I feel, etc.

Of course people don't know how to handle a newly independent person. But that is their problem.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:07 PM

705 posts, read 562,192 times
We've lived in 6 states. When I was younger I didn't mind moving but now I'm just over it, I'm tired and I hope those days are behind us.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:11 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I want a forever home. It's not my self-image as a free spirit! But have learned that I am not my self-image, have not been for a long time.

I think of a forever home as an area, not only a house. In my new community in Colorado, I have some hope of feeling part of community. I didn't have it back East, where my community really was the night shift and to a lesser extent, the other long-timers I'd worked with for years. When I retired (as have many of them) I knew I was losing community and all I had left was house, not area or place.

I do think I'd have trouble feeling "at home" in a suburb anywhere. It's just the wrong rev/density for me.

I certainly have no plans to move again unless something extreme occurs, in which case I'd move wherever I needed to in order to address the extreme situation, whatever it turned out to be. Otherwise, I expect to stay here. I love my house and area and the community of people is promising.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:20 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Commercial just came on in the background. Mentioned having a home and feeling secure in your forever home.

I tell everyone that I am going to sell my house or even just sign it away to the roommate or whoever.

I don't feel emotionally attached to my house but finding an apartment I could afford on my pension would be difficult. I expect to have to stay here in this 1900 sq foot house until I die.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:20 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

I have been wandering since the early 80's. First on my own, then in the military, then in the Foreign Service.

I have never owned a home that I lived in myself (bought one for my parents in 2002, and sold it last month, but never lived in it.)

I plan to "settle down" and do it only part time in a couple of years.

I like the thought of a forever home to go back to.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:22 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Since this is in the retirement forum, one might assume the subject is a 'forever retirement home'(?) - However, the approach sounds more like, "I'm off to join the circus."

Are you generally talking about owning versus renting? -- or about staying in one town or location "forever"?

Old 11-25-2018, 12:25 PM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Maybe it's because of the way I grew up...we moved frequently, and I had to start over as the new kid again and again. I don't think of any place as my forever home. I am always happy where I live, but also thinking fondly about my next move. As an adult I've lived in 6 homes, owned 4 of them, 3 for 10 years each, and the most recent for 5 years. I see myself here for another 5 to 10 years, and then will become a renter probably, to allow me to more easily satisfy my wanderlust. I don't even like to vacation in the same place for very long. I want something new and interesting to explore.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:29 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Since this is in the retirement forum, one might assume the subject is a 'forever retirement home'(?) - However, the approach sounds more like, "I'm off to join the circus."

Are you generally talking about owning versus renting? -- or about staying in one town or location "forever"?
Owning and staying there forever! And if something were to happen to it, you would just die.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:55 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
I have been in the same house about 25 years. I don't want to retire here but I dread the process of moving, having accumulated so much stuff. I try to convince myself this won't happen again and to some degree it won't because so much of the stuff is related to parts of our life that are really over an should have been cleared out some time ago. There is a lot of stuff kids might take, but probably won't.

Anyway, I am likely to settle in wherever I go when I retire without much chance of moving while I can live independently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement