U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 05:41 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,882,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
Years ago when I still had family we gathered on Christmas Eve for a dinner and did exchange gifts but it was very different. It was my parents, aunts uncles, cousins and all their spouses and children. Each family member (adults and kids) would spend no more than $10.00 and wrap the gift with no name tag. We would put them all under the tree and draw numbers from a bowl. #1 would choose a gift 1st and so on. BUT after you opened the gift you had the option to take someone else's gift. Of course the 1st person couldn't do this and the last got to choose from everything. We all had the best time and some of the gifts were actually cute and some were funny gag gifts.
I have done this at office parties a couple of times. But the rules were a little different - you had to choose whether or not to steal before opening the gift and no gift could get stolen more than twice. When you had a gift stolen, you could choose to open one from under the tree or to steal one, but you could not steal back the one you had. A lot of strategic moves were made - no one would steal a really popular item that showed up early for a while because it was inevitable that it would get stolen a second time. Sometimes half the items would change hands on the last person's turn. You really need a dozen or more people to make this interesting. Those were a blast, but I consider that a fun game, not really a gift exchange.

EDIT - I forgot one other twist that was done the second time. It was actually as a result of something that happened the first time. Names were drawn during the game instead of numbers before the game. The first year a couple of people worked a bargain with double steals by knowing when they would get their turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 05:48 PM

3,753 posts, read 9,610,770 times
I much prefer to give someone something during the year. I think a present is even more meaningful when it is not tied to a required present holiday.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:08 PM

980 posts, read 607,475 times
My closest remaining family is my sister and her two single adult kids and we stopped exchanging gifts many years ago. My SO gives monetary gifts to his two kids and the 4 grandchildren and I am out of that gift giving loop which was what I wanted from day 1. Aside from exchanging a few small token gifts with my SO that is it for my gift giving. And this year will be the first in many that I am not leaving home for Christmas or hosting it at my home. And I am so looking forward to being able to finally stay home and eat my traditional lasagna that I make ever year while lounging in my recliner watching Christmas movies.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:09 PM

4,448 posts, read 1,689,855 times
Coincidentally, it is my birthday. Everybody is under strict and stern instructions not to try to give me anything, under penalty of death or worse.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:15 PM

13,266 posts, read 6,356,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
BTW, it's only been in the last couple of years that I have gotten gifts I didn't really pay for from within my family (wife and kids). That played a big part in why I pushed the idea of ditching the notion of surprises. I have never really understood the idea of (paraphrasing) "it ruins the Christmas spirit to ask for and get things you want; it's better to let people spend your money to get each other things they didn't ask for and may never use". I am getting a very nice 60th birthday present right after Christmas. I ordered it the other day.
I never like surprise gifts either. Every year my husband and I get something big and expensive that we both enjoy before Xmas. Then we open little gifts for Xmas day, less than $25.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:41 PM

1,673 posts, read 575,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Coincidentally, it is my birthday. Everybody is under strict and stern instructions not to try to give me anything, under penalty of death or worse.

My DIL's father's birthday is December 25th but the family tradition there is to give him a separate birthday gift on that day as well. The prevailing sentiment is that it's unfair for a Xmas-birthday person to get "cheated" of a separate birthday gift just because he/she happened to be born on the 25th rather than the 24th or the 26th.

Cebuan, when you were growing up did your family do the separate-presents thing? And what about birthday parties? I once asked DIL's dad about those things and he said yes there was always a separate gift, and that they would plan a birthday party on whatever the last Saturday before the 25th was, so that his school and neighborhood friends could attend. During those years he got his b-day gift from family on the party day, but as he grew out of the party age the b-day gifts shifted to the actual day (25th.)

Old 11-25-2018, 06:55 PM

1,673 posts, read 575,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
In the immediate family, we have started using Amazon wish lists exclusively. ... We put more things on than we expect to get so that there is some element of surprise, but not the element of getting something you won't use.

Funny but although I use Amazon a lot, I never noticed the Wish List, LOL. That sounds like it might be something for me to propose between my son, DIL and myself (her parents don't shop online, unfortunately, so that eliminates what would otherwise be a great solution to a recurring challenge.)

Question, though: Are wish lists searchable and viewable by anyone (i.e., the world at large) or can you restrict them to just certain people? Is there a direct link that you can give family members so that only they can see the list?

What if you put something on the list in, say, September and then decide in early November that you either want or need it before the holiday anyway, and order it? I'm guessing you can edit the item out of the list but from what I'm reading online about how the list works, the listmaker doesn't "see" whether an item has been purchased for them by someone else. So I guess it is possible that someone could have already bought that item in October and the listmaker wouldn't know that?

I do tend to make impulse purchases of things on my own version of the Wish List (a dropdown list of Amazon item bookmarks in my browser, LOL) so the actual Wish List concept might not work as well for me as a regular Amazon gift card would do.... hmmm.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:57 PM

2,255 posts, read 1,111,966 times
I prefer not to receive gifts.

An amazon gift card would be much appreciated though, so I could buy gemstone beads without feeling guilty about spending money on more beads, but I don't want or need anything else.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:06 PM

4,448 posts, read 1,689,855 times
For those of you in the US, my birthday is not until tomorrow, the 26th. Is my legal age based on the date where I am, or where I was born?

Also, I've crossed the international date line three times westbound, and continued on without winding those extra days back up, so is my birthday actually three days from now?

Old 11-25-2018, 07:08 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,882,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Funny but although I use Amazon a lot, I never noticed the Wish List, LOL. That sounds like it might be something for me to propose between my son, DIL and myself (her parents don't shop online, unfortunately, so that eliminates what would otherwise be a great solution to a recurring challenge.)

Question, though: Are wish lists searchable and viewable by anyone (i.e., the world at large) or can you restrict them to just certain people? Is there a direct link that you can give family members so that only they can see the list?

What if you put something on the list in, say, September and then decide in early November that you either want or need it before the holiday anyway, and order it? I'm guessing you can edit the item out of the list but from what I'm reading online about how the list works, the listmaker doesn't "see" whether an item has been purchased for them by someone else. So I guess it is possible that someone could have already bought that item in October and the listmaker wouldn't know that?

I do tend to make impulse purchases of things on my own version of the Wish List (a dropdown list of Amazon item bookmarks in my browser, LOL) so the actual Wish List concept might not work as well for me as a regular Amazon gift card would do.... hmmm.
You can turn on a spoiler option to see what has been bought or use the link to the list while signed out or in a different browser and tell whether or not something is bought. You can make a list so anyone can find it or completely private or shareable through a link (anyone with the link can see it so it is only as private as the link is).

People who don't shop online can still access the list and indicate they bought an item whether they got it at Amazon or not. You can add items that are not on Amazon with a link somewhere else or even with just a description and no link. It's a registry - once someone indicates they bought something (automatic if it is an Amazon item purchased on Amazon) it no longer appears on the list when others view it. Hopefully no mean siblings play tricks like marking everything on someone's list as purchased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or