U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 10:00 PM

39,541 posts, read 47,732,905 times

Advertisements

We let everyone know a long time ago that we don't need any gifts, that we are happy with every thing we have and need no more stuff to donate to charities.
But we do let them know how appreciative we are of the cookies, photos and other goodies they personally make for us.
"Happy Holidays"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 10:05 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,690,699 times
I upset my brother and his wife about 10 years ago when I asked if we could stop the gift giving. Like the OP, I'm at a stage of life where I'm getting rid of things, not accumulating more. My brother said I could stop giving them gifts if I wanted, but they were going to give them to me. Sigh. So, of course, I kept doing it because I felt obligated. Fortunately, a few years ago I broached the subject again and they were agreeable. My SIL hasn't worked in years even though she's only in her late 50s; they have no kids and her main source of amusement is shopping. She's really a spendthrift, and my brother has had to put her on an allowance a couple times because she just has no concept of how much money she spends. So I think he was relieved when I suggested it the second time. And I was relieved because her taste is nothing like mine, and people often give gifts that are things *they* like, without taking the recipient's preferences into account. So I really didn't like a lot of the gifts they gave me.

For my adult son, whose birthday is close to Christmas, I help him buy mountaineering tools. One year it was a new iceaxe, another it was chipping in toward his very expensive mountaineering boots, another year it was to help pay for his Wilderness First Responder course, that kind of thing. He never asks me for those things, so I'm happy to help since climbing is his passion and he gets a lot of use out of them. And I always give him a stocking with some small but useful things in it.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:47 AM

4,840 posts, read 4,954,521 times
I also hate receiving gifts.

"Gifts" of stuff are economically inefficient. The recipient has no say in the decision to spend or save.

A better idea is to give the ultimate gift certificate, a $100 bill......

My kids always love cash. Also a $20 bill freshly ironed and stuffed into a card is a great gift from grandma.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:52 AM

10,289 posts, read 4,868,671 times
I would rather not get gifts. Donate to a homeless shelter or an animal refuge center in my name.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:22 AM

5,946 posts, read 5,302,666 times
I hate most gifts but like gift cards.

I have a few friends that bake for me and that is appreciated. I have a couple that make crafts but they don't give them to me since my views on crafts are well known as in I don't want them in my home.

Clothes are the worst gift. I will buy my own in the colors and styles I want, not what someone else thinks I should like.

I remember my long dead uncle complaining about people that buy clothes for their kids as a gift. He would say "you HAVE to buy them clothes. That isn't a gift. Buy them a toy."

Old 11-26-2018, 06:23 AM

7,656 posts, read 4,705,800 times
If someone wants to give me a gift and it gives them pleasure to do so, that's fine. If participation in the gift ritual allows other people to feel Christmas-y, sure. I'm not going to tell anyone they shouldn't buy me a gift. Nor do I feel obligated to reciprocate. I got over that a long time ago.

I'm happy with just about anything -- they thought of me.

The only exception is if it's obvious they weren't thinking of me at all. For example, giving me something so they can get rid of it. Or giving me something with the intent of borrowing it back later. I'll bet most of you have had one or the other happen.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:35 AM

6,573 posts, read 1,355,446 times
I am 65, and I still like getting gifts -- but I prefer PERSONAL gifts, like fragrance items or a small box of good chocolates; and they certainly don't have to be expensive! I am still like a kid in that I like having something to open on Christmas and my birthday.

P.S. I also LOVE to get Barnes and Noble gift cards!

Last edited by katharsis; 11-26-2018 at 06:54 AM..

Old 11-26-2018, 06:42 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Come to think of it, I do a very small gift exchange. My neighbor across the hall from me and I moved in our building within two months of one another. We became friends. She gave me a tin of cookies from Aldi’s she knew I liked at Christmas and I gave her some homemade fudge I thought she might enjoy.

Full disclosure, I had made the fudge for a Christmas party I had been invited to and the recipe makes a huge amount so I knew I could give her a generous amount in gratitude for the cookies. Now it’s beome a tradition I guess.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:54 AM

1,322 posts, read 647,533 times
I hate worthless gifts also....lotions, guest soaps, clothes that don`t fit right...not worth bringing back to the store.So much waste. So many children going without. Wish all that money would go to them. Now that would brighten my Christmas.!

Old 11-26-2018, 09:24 AM

6,312 posts, read 3,576,034 times
My kids are in their busy forties. I always tell them, "Spend more time with me."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or