U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:19 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,513,066 times

Advertisements

I was 13 in 1968.

I never thought I be able to record a movie or show on TV. When I got my first VHS player I spent hours and hours creating a movie library.

I never thought I'd see the closings of bookstores. Shades of "Fahrenheit 451"!

I never thought I would be watching shows or reading books on my phone!

I never thought I would be able to talk to strangers all over the world on my phone!

I never thought that buying second hand clothing in a thrift store would yield higher quality clothing than buying them in a department store.

I never thought that a person's worth and choices in society would be determined by a score created by some random entities using meaningless formulas.

I never thought that paper maps would become obsolete. I do love my old maps and I keep them in my car just because.

I never thought childhood would become so regimented and supervised and stressful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 09:59 PM

111 posts, read 30,605 times
Gen Z kids not being taught cursive handwriting (though I read Delaware is bringing it back to some of their schools).

Old 11-27-2018, 10:01 PM

3,995 posts, read 2,548,937 times
Honda started it with their "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" ads. with their small lightweight motorcycles. Before that motorcycles were all fairly big and heavy British or Harleys and motorcycles had a outlaw image.
Honda changed that.
Also before that motorcycles leaked oil, weren't very reliable, were often hard to start, were noisy, Honda changed that.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:44 PM

7,948 posts, read 5,053,236 times
Most of the subjects discussed thus far in this thread are themes, trends, news-events, or general developments. They are not inventions per se. At most, they’re evolutions of a foundational concept that was already known. The basic ideas for the internet, for handheld programmable machines (calculators), and for what eventually became the compact disc, were already in place by 1968.

Inverting the premise of this thread, I marvel at how little was invented from scratch over the past 50 years, vs. over the prior 50 years. A mechanical or electrical engineer conversant with the state of the art in 1968, and magically teleported to 2018, would be flabbergasted at… how little has changed! Now imagine the difference between the 1918-engineer suddenly finding himself in 1968. Or an engineer from 1868, going to 1918.

The choice of 1968 is perhaps simply because it corresponds to a round number of years, but it’s serendipitous, because so much was invented in the 10-20 years immediately prior. For example, the laser. The transistor, a shockingly revolutionary invention, dates in rudimentary form to 1947. Those couple of decades right after WW2 were an incredibly fecund explosion of creativity. Then, things slowed down.

Here’s a sobering thought… the generation that was in retirement 50 years ago, would have been born in houses that likely had no electricity or indoor plumbing. They would have ridden to school on a horse-drawn conveyance. They likely had siblings who died in childhood, from typhoid or cholera or influenza. Meanwhile, the generation that’s currently in retirement had only a black-and-white television when they were growing up. Their cars had manual transmissions and carburetors. Their phones had rotary dials, and where plugged into the wall. The first cohort of retirees – the ones who were retired in 1968 – witnessed revolutionary change during their lifetimes. The current crop of retirees – only evolutionary change.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:58 AM

2,701 posts, read 1,772,902 times
How society has come to glorify stupidity.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:39 AM

980 posts, read 607,475 times
As teen growing up in that era where you needed to have Peggy Lipton pin straight long hair to be cool was tough for this girl who had thick long wavy hair and did everything humanly possibly to get it straight. When the blow dryer was invented it changed my teen life and made it possibly for me to have Peggy Lipton hair too as long as it did not rain.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:18 AM

12,309 posts, read 15,212,168 times
Cooking. Didn't we expect to be eating protein pills like the Astronauts? TV shows about cooking (see Julia Child) were always on, but more popular than ever.
Smoking. One out of seven adults smoke! I'm sure in 1968 we expected maybe 1 in 20.
Sending pix to friends instantly. Remember when you had to take a picture, get it processed, then mail it?
The boom in jobs. Didn't we expect automation to drastically reduce the number of people working?
And especially: the graying of the population. Fifty years ago it was the youth culture. Even 40 was considered old

Last edited by pvande55; 11-28-2018 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: Add line

Old 11-28-2018, 05:21 AM

5,966 posts, read 5,315,071 times
The acceptance of illegitimacy.

The acceptance of gays and their getting married.

Technology doesn't really surprise me. Think of Lindbergh's plane. 20 years later we had jets. It has always come fast.

Since someone brought up Neo Nazis, there are less than any time in the past since the 30's. With the Bund, high Klan membership, and other groups in the past it is next to nothing today.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:06 AM

6,649 posts, read 1,372,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Since someone brought up Neo Nazis, there are less than any time in the past since the 30's. With the Bund, high Klan membership, and other groups in the past it is next to nothing today.
I was the one who brought that up, and actually, I did question whether I should include that because people who have supported Nazi-type beliefs have been ever since the era of Hitler. However, I honestly don't remember any publicity of Nazi or neo-Nazi groups until recently (with the exception of the Skokie march in 1977), although, of course, the KKK was still very much around in 1968. I honestly thought that the neo-Nazis except for very limited exceptions had gone the way of the dodo (and I'm just sorry that's not true).

(But, yes, I do agree that Nazism has a very small presence in the U.S. today.)

Old 11-28-2018, 06:25 AM

38,290 posts, read 14,957,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Unaffordable state college tuition. ...
That was unexpected, wasn't it?

All the money we put away in our children's college fund was gone the first year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or