U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 09:39 AM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
These are some of the things I never saw coming in 1968:

1. A rover driving around on the planet Mars sending back chemical analysis and photos.

2. Metal knee and hip replacements.

3. Tranny bathrooms

4. A black president

5. Backup cameras in cars

6. Curbside recycling

7. Press #1 to hear in English

8. Flu shots
Flu vaccine has been around since the 1940s.
Historic Dates and Events Related to Vaccines and Immunization
See 1942 and 1945.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 07:55 PM

2,901 posts, read 1,583,756 times
The resurgence of neo-nazi activity among younger people.

The way the internet has fragmented many people into antagonistic camps rather than connect us to a larger world. In 1968 we stuck notes to bulletin boards to connect with folks, now that we have a worldwide BB it seems to have unleashed the id of a lot of folks.

Our continued inability to wean ourselves off oil & coal & plastics & find less polluting substitutes. I figured electric cars would already be mainstream by now.

I didn't see the Boomer's excess materialism coming: more & more vehicles, toys, bigger & bigger houses, overextended on credit to constantly buy more "stuff"... In 1968 I very naively thought that we would be less materialistic as adults.

Where are the colonies on Mars? I didn't see giving up space exploration.

I thought pot would have been legalized at least 20 years ago considering how many politicians, presidents & huge percentage of the population have enjoyed it. Some kids still get arrested & go to jail for it sadly.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:35 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,199,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
All the things you mentioned. But one thing. Back in the 60s thru thmid 70s there was concerns about global cooling. A new ice age.
I hear this occasionally, but all my recollections about cooling were that it was the result of volcanic eruptions, asteroid strikes, or a "nuclear winter" releasing dust and debris into the atmosphere, not by CO2, methane, or other greenhouse gases. The Greenhouse Effect, which resulted in trapping of heat, was known as far back as the early 20th century.

Things I did not see coming are:

#1 the internet - along with smart phones, absolutely overwhelming all media, communication, and information sources
#2 declining birth rate and decreasing family size in US and most of the world - maybe we should have seen this as a natural effect of overpopulation, but negative birth rates in much of the world were unthinkable 50 years ago
#3 decreasing life expectancy in the US - this was a sign of social ills when it occurred in Russia in the 90s
#4 the application of factual relativism as a tool to deny science to elevate and justify beliefs and opinions, where back in the day it was simply called crack-pot, quackery, or snake-oi sales
#5 decline of upward mobility in the US - maybe #2, #3, and #4 are the effect of this loss of mobility
#6 exponential rise of China and its middle class - Chinese middle class are now at 430 million people, or over 100 million more than the TOTAL US population - and it expected to grow to 780 million in the next 5-10 years. Chinese cities are the most modern in the world, while in 1968 China was in the midst of its Cultural Revolution.

Last edited by RocketSci; 11-30-2018 at 10:47 PM..

Old 12-01-2018, 09:49 AM

5,214 posts, read 3,630,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
While reading about the latest environmental warning that says that humanity either might be or probably will be basically doomed due to climate change in about 60 years or so, I was thinking how much has happened in the past 50 years that I either did not foresee or did not think would happen so soon.

What can you add to the following list that YOU did not foresee?

- Smartphones
- Personal computers
- The rise of Neo Nazi groups
- Legal same-sex marriages
- Kindles and other electronic books
- The International Space Station
- The Internet and social media (i.e., Facebook)
- The end of so many daily newspapers and the "dumbing down" of most nightly newscasts
- Many more highly over-protective parents

P.S. This thread is NOT meant to start a discussion about whether global warming is real or not, or to start a debate about the pros or cons of any issue or invention. There is already a thread on this in the P&OC forum about the global warming issue -- Trump Administrationís Strategy on Climate: Try to Bury Its Own Scientific Report -- and I would guess for any other issue that might come up, also!
I often felt Dick Tracey was out of his mind.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:41 PM

12,558 posts, read 16,655,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Guitars that tune themselves. That is just laziness!

SS
What? I need one of those.

Am I wrong that Martin, Gibson, Taylor or any quality guitar manufacturer has not yet bought into that plan? Maybe they should also build a guitar that plays itself? Please don't tell me they have.

I think I hear Chet Atkins, Roy Clark, Eric Clapton and Mark Knofler rolling in their graves or planning to.

But to remain on the subject of this thread, e.g, : "What inventions/issues have occurred since 1968 that did you not see coming?"

1. Tiny houses.
2. Vehicles costing twice, or more, as much as the house they are sitting in front of.
3. The self-destruction of California.
4. A taxpayer-saved large company pulling the plug on thousands of its workers.
5. Thousands of immigrants gathered at our southern border simply looking for work.
6. Gasoline prices in places that are less than in 1968.
7. Elected politicians clueless as to the makeup of the U.S. government and state geography.

Old 12-01-2018, 05:43 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
Computers took up entire rooms

Cell phones

Back in 68 I saw a lot of gun racks (with a rifle in it) in trucks and they didn't even bother to lock the trucks

Internet

Same sex marriages

9-1-1 didn't exist.

Plastic/fake Chrome instead of real chrome on cars

DVD players

No battered women's shelters. In 1973 the first battered women’s shelter in the United States opened

TV programming has changed. Back then families watched TV together, today prime time is not suitable for children.

The drinking age was 18

Seat belts weren't mandatory

'Made in China' items were hard to find here

We had a lot of cotton mills, steel mills, hosiery mills, plants that made our clothes, towels, carpet etc..

The draft was active

Getting paddled in school was okay when you behaved badly and parents supported it.

We had Lead-based paint, it was banned in 1978

You didn't hear about road rage, people taking guns to schools, nightclubs, work, parks etc...and killing innocent people

Most little boys carried a pocket knife, even to school with no problems.

We didn't have all the convenience foods that are in stores today. Yes TV dinners were there but not like today.

Cars didn't have airbags

Local calls were only 7 digits

Chicken pox killed 100 children a year in the U.S. before a vaccine came along in 1995

Children could play cops and robbers, army and cowboys with toy guns. Kids could be kids back then and even had cap guns.
(True story: An old neighbor about 5 years ago called the police because 2 ten year old little boys were playing army in the small field between our homes. She told police they were shooting guns. Police came, the kids had 2 badly carved out guns made from wood. They shook their heads because even from her house you could see it was silly.)

Cigarette ads played on TV

We didn't have car seats.
Not in Pennsylvania or many other states.

Yes, and in 1964-65, there was a rubella (German measles) epidemic that caused 12.5 million cases of rubella in the US. "Twenty thousand children were born with CRS: 11,000 were deaf, 3,500 blind, and 1,800 mentally retarded. There were 2,100 neonatal deaths and more than 11,000 abortions – some a spontaneous result of rubella infection in the mother, and others performed surgically after women were informed of the serious risks of rubella exposure during their pregnancy."
https://www.historyofvaccines.org/in...ticles/rubella

The vaccine was tested on my nursing class in 1968, licensed in 1969.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Maybe, but with the clothing, many rich people say that they buy a few excellent quality clothing items in anticipation of having them for years. A really good blazer. A few perfectly fitting expensive pairs of shoes. A great trench coat. I guess I'm really fed up with the cheap clothing with loose threads hanging off and the flimsy material they're made of. Of course, the manufacturers might not like this trend because they want people buying new clothes all the time.

And the antique furniture, porcelain dishes, gorgeous silverware, items of gold and silver--and more--those are works of art. I'm not materialistic but I appreciate beauty and great craftsmanship and knowing that it took some brain work to design something and craftsmanship to actually make it. Of course, the decline probably started with the Industrial Revolution when formerly hand made items could be made by a machine and mass produced, but it's gone to the extreme.

I've contributed to it in my own small way by selling some silver items on ebay, knowing that they would be melted down for the value of the silver itself. But it's mostly been things that were damaged and I knew that today's generation isn't going to pay for repairs. In that case, it's no huge loss to melt it down (arrrrrrg.)

What next? Do the museums sell off their treasures because no one cares anymore? And is this just happening in the USA and other western countries, or is this the way of the entire world? I never thought I'd live to see the day when a millenial would look at a Tiffany lamp and just shrug. Maybe it's a sad commentary on the decline of our society and devaluing our heritage, but I just do not get it.
Those are good investments, but one of my aunts liked to be a few "trendy" things at "junk stores" as she called them. Her thinking was that when they went out of style she wouldn't feel bad about getting rid of them, e.g. giving them away to charity or even discarding them.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:13 PM

2,439 posts, read 1,060,930 times
If you want to argue over whether black gangs are worse than Neo-Nazis, please take it to the Politics forum, thanks.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:04 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,324,594 times
I thought we'd be going back and forth to the Moon or Mars, too. Space exploration was so exciting and cool when I was a kid! We watched every launch on a big black and white TV on a stand in elementary school.

I would never have predicted the proliferation of fast food outlets. When I was a kid, there was 1 McDonalds in the next town. We went to it maybe twice a year, as a "treat". There were no Taco Bells, Wendy's, etc. Now fast food is everywhere.

GPS or anything like it would never have occurred to me in '68. I still like maps and written directions.

Social media -- I'm glad the bullies in school didn't have that weapon at their disposal when I was a kid.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:25 PM

221 posts, read 115,909 times
As a unit, the Rolling Stones would remain intact.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:08 AM

2,439 posts, read 1,060,930 times
Actually, growing up (born in the mid 1950's) I never thought we would make it to 2000. I figured nuclear war would wipe out the planet before then. What a gloomy young person I was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or