U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 01:20 PM

9,583 posts, read 10,930,257 times

Advertisements

Nevada has undergone some dramatic demographic shifts; they will almost certainly continue. Consider recent elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 01:33 PM

1,521 posts, read 976,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
Ex moved to Sparks Nevada which I believe is the armpit of Nevada and then moved to Fernley. Will definitely be staying away from Nevada.
Perhaps you should visit these places before you call them armpits. You obviously know nothing of the area...

Old 11-27-2018, 01:46 PM

12,014 posts, read 5,130,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
If you loved it in Tennessee and regret leaving, why not go back to Tennessee?

ETA: I spent 30+ years in the Central Valley; just moved away last year (not far). I like Nevada, seriously considered moving to Reno.
If I were thinking of moving to Nevada, it would be the northern part of the state. I would avoid the southern part and anything to do with Vegas, but that's me.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:47 PM

12,014 posts, read 5,130,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
If I were thinking of moving to Nevada, it would be the northern part of the state. I would avoid the southern part and anything to do with Vegas, but that's me.
Nevada especially southern, is becoming nothing more than an extension of CA.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:36 PM

2,237 posts, read 550,208 times
Also check out Amargosa Valley, NV as an alternative to Pahrump, NV.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:37 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,148,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
We live in Central Valley of California and are tired of all the Political B.S. and Taxes. We want to move but not to far. When we first retired 11 years ago we retired to Tennessee and LOVED it. However it was 21/2 hard days drive to come back for visits. So we came back and regret it. We are looking at Nevada (Pahrump) because it is only 8 hours drive back for visits..... Yes we know Pahrump is HOT and there are water concerns. But we have the same thing here in the Central Valley of California.....

Question/Concerns are mainly about Health (we have Kaiser) and property/vehicle taxes.

We could keep our Kaiser plan and just return for Doctor Appointments, we do ALL our Meds via U.S. so that's not really a problem. Yes it would be nice to switch to local Doctors..

Right now we pay close to $2000.00 a year in Vehicle registrations alone.

Thanks LeeB
$2000 for vehicle fees? What do you drive? A pair of 2018 BMW 7 series? And unless you lie to Kaiser about where you live, you’re not eligible to be part of that HMO.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:48 PM

605 posts, read 189,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Fernley is small, but only a short freeway drive from Sparks/Reno.
Thank you

We grocery shop in Sparks a few times a month. Still getting familiar with Sparks and Reno area.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:10 PM

4,976 posts, read 3,462,838 times
I've been investigating van/rv living and Pahrump seems to have a decent rv community. I haven't seen anything on registration fees but, before I moved to Arizona from Minnesota I contacted the office here to find out what they would be. They were much lower than Minnesota.

In Minnesota they are called DMV, Department of Motor Vehicles. Here they are DOT, Department of Transportation.

I was curious because I planned to move here in September of last year, which I did, and my tags for Minnesota were good until the next April. But, I sucked it up because once you have an address here, you only have 10 days to change your license and registration.

So give them a call and see what it would be. I don't know what Nevada calls their department though.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:39 PM

23,785 posts, read 8,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
We live in Central Valley of California and are tired of all the Political B.S. and Taxes. We want to move but not to far. When we first retired 11 years ago we retired to Tennessee and LOVED it. However it was 21/2 hard days drive to come back for visits. So we came back and regret it. We are looking at Nevada (Pahrump) because it is only 8 hours drive back for visits..... Yes we know Pahrump is HOT and there are water concerns. But we have the same thing here in the Central Valley of California.....

Question/Concerns are mainly about Health (we have Kaiser) and property/vehicle taxes.

We could keep our Kaiser plan and just return for Doctor Appointments, we do ALL our Meds via U.S. so that's not really a problem. Yes it would be nice to switch to local Doctors..

Right now we pay close to $2000.00 a year in Vehicle registrations alone.

Thanks LeeB
How many vehicles do you own and how priced do they cost...yikes. There are many ways to cut costs and life's priorities, many are going to NV so why not join in. I love CA and choose to change lifestyle. I don't need high priced autos or houses. NV never appealed to me. But many are headed there.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:59 PM

8,860 posts, read 5,139,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
Thank you

We grocery shop in Sparks a few times a month. Still getting familiar with Sparks and Reno area.
Next time, stay on 80 past Sparks for 20 min or so, and you will be in Fernley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or