Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 05:56 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,959,833 times

Advertisements

"If they"...the United States Federal Government.
"can put a man on the moon"...several men on the moon several times.
"why can't they"...they can try if you are willing to be taxed even more.
NASA needed money and the Feds gave them more and more and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 06:24 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I would like to see:

- Affordable basic healthcare for everyone, with everyone paying their fair share, and no one becoming bankrupt because of medical bills

- Cures for cancer and Alzheimer's

- An end to keeping the hopelessly terminally ill, those in a pervasive vegetative state, and those over 85 alive by non-natural means. (Btw, I am a senior myself.)

- An end to taxes supporting any adult under the age of 65 who CAN work but chooses not to do so

- The government being more liberal about granting citizenship to immigrants, and until that is accomplished, being much more punitive to employers who hire those who are here illegally.

- The invention and implementation of a removable implant that prevents people who cannot afford large families from having more than one child until they are able to afford another child

- The invention and implementation of tranquilizing implants for those who have been convicted of murder, rape or child abuse

- Government-paid college education available for everyone, but with the number of admissions limited to just anticipated future need for such education and selection of those admitted based only on SAT scores (or equivalent), with no attention given to family wealth or connections, race, or any other criteria

- A major third party that appeals to most moderates, with its focus on pleasing and promoting the middle and working classes

- A society that values people based only on their individual characters and what they have personally accomplished, and an eradication of bigotry based on ancestry, gender/sexuality, religion, etc.

- An end to war

- As little pollution as possible

- No "Third World" countries -- all people everywhere having enough work to be able to afford adequate food and shelter

- Justice dispensed on a completely equal basis -- no special treatment for anyone

(And, yes, I do know that some of the above is VERY radical, and probably impossibly idealistic and unworkable, but you asked, lol!)
This isn't radical at all. I could practically have written this myself and I'm definitely not a radical.

Third World countries though--nothing we can do about it. Government paid college education--I don't see how we can afford it. And part of it should be based on ability to pay.

Illegal immigration, no. And citizenship for them, definitely no. People wait in line for years to enter legally so this would be very unfair to them. But how about some brainy person out there figuring out an answer to this ongoing dilemma? No hiring of illegals, that's for sure.

Drug dealers. Why can no one figure out what to do? Maybe get them off the streets and (I am so disgusted with them) put them into some kind of prison for life.) There must be an answer to this problem.

Welfare only for those who cannot work--of course. I knew someone who purposely got pregnant and went on welfare! She had a well paying job but she quit to go on welfare. Somebody should come up with a fair method for figuring out who needs to be on welfare and who is abusing the system.

The third political party is very important. Or more than three parties. In England it's more like a continuum of parties, from left to right. And the leader doesn't stay in power for a certain amount of time; once they become unpopular, they're replaced by vote. They have to work hard and do what the people want or they and their party are replaced by what the people want. There are probably other models in other countries that work even better.

And, concerning our age group, why can't there be beautiful, safe, pleasant housing for retirees that doesn't cost a small fortune? Around here, at least, you have to be rich or stay in your own home if you can afford to have people come and help you, or you are dumped into ratty 400 sq foot senior housing that is barely fit for human habitation. Not every senior is rich even though they may have worked hard their entire lives and some have spent a lot of their money on health care. Seniors deserve a pleasant place to live--it doesn't have to be in luxury, but basics like your own washer and dryer and dishwasher should be standard so the person can age in place without a lot of outside help. Affordable assisted living too.

Last edited by in_newengland; 11-27-2018 at 06:47 PM..

Old 11-27-2018, 06:33 PM

19,796 posts, read 9,331,249 times
^^

Sorry that I can't rep you AGAIN!

Old 11-27-2018, 07:34 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
To be able to travel at as close to the speed of light as possible...or lacking that, cutting travel time down to 10% or less of current times - Chicago to Maui in 60 minutest! Chicago to New Delhi in 90 minutes!

Old 11-27-2018, 08:09 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,638,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I would like to see a dryer that doesn't devour socks. I always seem to be missing one

Actually, clothes dryers transmute socks into shirt-hangers.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:53 PM

6,848 posts, read 4,844,287 times
Put an end to identity theft.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:54 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,154 times
Why can't they invent:

Pop that doesn't go flat.

Gum that doesn't lose it's flavor.

Medicare coverage for dentures and glasses.

Portable, lightweight waterbeds.

Elastic in clothing that doesn't wear out.

Dogs that groom themselves like cats.

See in the dark eyeglasses for night walks.

Human chewies and kibble snacks with super nutritional value.

Keurig coffee makers to have in your car.

A favorite ball point pen that never runs out of ink.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:32 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
If they can put a man on the moon why can't they.....?

Cure cancer.

I firmly believe they could but that cancer is such a HUGE money maker and they choose not to release the real cure. I spoke with a professor a few years back and he agreed with me 100%. As he said, think of all the medical practices and pharmaceutical companies that would be out all that money.
Cancer is not one disease, it's many diseases, so there isn't going to be one cure. And you would probably be shocked to find out how much money is being spent trying to find those cures. I have friends who are cancer researchers, and one is an executive, with a doctorate in molecular biology, of a smaller biotech firm that has some very promising immunotherapy drugs in the pipeline; they've spent MILLIONS of dollars and years developing them, but they're still in clinical trials, so the company hasn's made a dime off them yet. Depending on the results of the trials, they may or may not ever see a return on their investment, either.

The idea that people are being made to suffer with cancer to make money is a serious affront to all the hard-working scientists and medical professionals who are devoting their lives to finding cures for it.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:11 AM

30,484 posts, read 16,194,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Cancer is not one disease, it's many diseases, so there isn't going to be one cure. And you would probably be shocked to find out how much money is being spent trying to find those cures. I have friends who are cancer researchers, and one is an executive, with a doctorate in molecular biology, of a smaller biotech firm that has some very promising immunotherapy drugs in the pipeline; they've spent MILLIONS of dollars and years developing them, but they're still in clinical trials, so the company hasn's made a dime off them yet. Depending on the results of the trials, they may or may not ever see a return on their investment, either.

The idea that people are being made to suffer with cancer to make money is a serious affront to all the hard-working scientists and medical professionals who are devoting their lives to finding cures for it.

I was gong to point that out too. A lot of progress has been made. To accuse the medical profession of not working towards cures is totally unjust.

Last edited by PAhippo; 11-28-2018 at 01:53 AM..

Old 11-28-2018, 01:30 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,109,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
If they can put a man on the moon why can't they.....?

Cure cancer.

I firmly believe they could but that cancer is such a HUGE money maker and they choose not to release the real cure. I spoke with a professor a few years back and he agreed with me 100%. As he said, think of all the medical practices and pharmaceutical companies that would be out all that money.
In our society it is HARD to make money (well any real meaningful money that allows you to advance your life) so when you find something then you have to keep it close to the vest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement