Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 08:39 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,042,372 times

Advertisements

From Wikipedia (who got it from the National Cancer Institute)
"The most common type of cancer among children and adolescents is leukemia, followed by brain and other central nervous system tumors. Survival rates for most childhood cancers have improved, with a notable improvement in acute lymphoblastic lymphoma (the most common childhood cancer). Due to improved treatment, the 5-year survival rate for acute lymphoblastic lymphoma has increased from less than 10% in the 1960s to about 90% during the time period 2003-2009."

Wow, that's a whole lot of progress for no real research going on. And cures being covered up.

Back to the original topic, I would be happy if I could print a map off the internet that I could actually read. For some reason, all the lines come out very faint, and I have to go over them with marker if I am going to read them in the car, for instance.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:41 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,126,531 times
Superconductivity at room temperature. Of course with that we will also get hand held lasers that can take a plane out of the sky, nuclear power plants the side of suitcase, capacitors that can be charges in seconds and will run cars and planes and anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 09:02 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,946,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Improved rocket propulsion systems and ship designs that would allow manned travel to Mars and elsewhere in the solar system in reasonable periods of time. Probably won't happen in my lifetime.
Yeah, we should have been there by now. Elon Musk is trying. Have you been watching the show Mars on NatGeo? It is excellent. Now in Season 2.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:17 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
OK Folks...

We've all been around the block once or twice.

What invention/improvement would you like to see in your lifetime that hasn't happen yet? For me it seems that directions or instructions to use so called "conveniences" have gotten more complicated. At my age I don't want to go through reams of instructions/screens/windows, etc to use an appliance/car/cable/phone/whatever. It should work when I plug it in. Period.
I’m tired of remotes for this, OS for that, special keypad interface for the other, etc. I want a “universal appliance interface”. Things like Siri and Alexa are getting close but I would rather see a more cooperative approach among companies. I know, ain’t gonna happen but I can wish.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:18 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I would like to see a dryer that doesn't devour socks. I always seem to be missing one
Don’t trifle with laws of the universe.........the dryer needs socks.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:20 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Cancer is not one disease, it's many diseases, so there isn't going to be one cure. And you would probably be shocked to find out how much money is being spent trying to find those cures. I have friends who are cancer researchers, and one is an executive, with a doctorate in molecular biology, of a smaller biotech firm that has some very promising immunotherapy drugs in the pipeline; they've spent MILLIONS of dollars and years developing them, but they're still in clinical trials, so the company hasn's made a dime off them yet. Depending on the results of the trials, they may or may not ever see a return on their investment, either.

The idea that people are being made to suffer with cancer to make money is a serious affront to all the hard-working scientists and medical professionals who are devoting their lives to finding cures for it.
Good post. There are so many different types of cancer. A friend of mine had non-Hodgkins lymphoma and was living with me while she went through her treatment. There were so many different types just of NHL, and it turned out even hers was a slow-growing cancer that had gone into an aggressive stage. They got rid of the aggressive cells but the slow-growing cells would remain. She could have lived for a long time with her disease except that she died of another, unrelated cause.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:27 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I remember the Tylenol/cyanide thing, so I get the need for secure packaging to prevent lawsuits, but can't they come up with things that are easier to open? I am so tired of buying food or other products that practically require wirecutters to get to. The shrink-wrapped stuff is the absolute worst.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:36 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
Self driving car,
Self cleaning house,
Self helping robot either as my personal nurse or my own doctor when I age.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:45 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
What invention/improvement would you like to see in your lifetime that hasn't happen yet? For me it seems that directions or instructions to use so called "conveniences" have gotten more complicated. At my age I don't want to go through reams of instructions/screens/windows, etc to use an appliance/car/cable/phone/whatever. It should work when I plug it in. Period.

This is one of the reasons why I dont have a Smart Phone or many other "conveniences". Even my TV remote has buttons that need an instruction booklet to operate. I love having cable but miss the good ole days when I could turn the TV on and off and change channels without using a remote. And just try finding a simple coffee maker that doesnt have to come with an instruction book. Even my landline came with an instruction book to which I have to refer at times. And, OMG, where are the cars that have cassette players and manual windows?

Old 11-28-2018, 09:46 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
My personal want - glasses that adjust from clear all the way to dark just by touching the frame arm. Sort of like a dimmer - you slide your finger on the frame and they get darker or lighter.

After multiple eye surgeries, my eyes are much more light sensitive than most, so the self-adjusting lenses don't do enough.

Of course, it would be nice not to need glasses as well, but I think fixing that problem is further out than adjustable darkening glasses.

And yes, being below 65, I'd like to not be paying the equivalent of a mortgage for having health insurance and then having to pay $7,350 before that pricey insurance kicks in.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement