U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 08:04 AM

7,801 posts, read 4,387,974 times

Advertisements

And if so... "Dramatically" good or "dramatically" bad???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 08:10 AM

5,783 posts, read 4,833,476 times
Yes. We lived in foothills of Northern CA, but commuted to Sacramento daily. Our friends, and my family, mostly, lived in Sacramento County, we traveled to see them, or vice versa, mainly on weekends, but not often. When we retired we had virtually no one to hang out with because our friends/family were either working, or an hour or more drive each way and few had the time or similar interests anymore. With the COL in NorCal, we would have been on a bit of a tight retirement budget, so we sought out a great place, low COL area that somewhat resembled our rural, yet sort of suburban home in CA.

We moved to an east TN community that is mostly retired and somewhat like a resort. We could not have afforded a similar lifestyle to this in retirement in CA. It's on a lake, has multiple golf courses, a marina, tennis, pickleball, a fitness center, pools, clubs for every interest, and a whole lot of people who are not working to go out and "play with". We are having a great time here and have made many new friends. We have friends we spend the holidays with, and people to share every possible activity that we enjoy. Through our friends and clubs we've found places to visit and things to see that we would never have known about. This year we are traveling across the Atlantic and to several European countries with 3 other couples we met here over the last 5 years. We've had only 3 visitors from CA, and we expect a few more this year. I still travel back to visit with family, but we love our new life here and won't be moving back.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:13 AM

3,604 posts, read 1,642,892 times
Yes,dramatically but we knew that when my husband retired and we made the decision to move.

The landscape here in the southwest is something Iíve never seen or experienced before , the architecture and weather also. Our lifestyle is completely different now. I wouldnít say itís better or worse than the last place we lived, just different pluses and minuses.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:20 AM

1,318 posts, read 834,462 times
Quote:
Did moving to a new town where you knew no-one change your life in retirement?
Yes, and I'm so glad that I did it! Though I was scared, I packed a few things into my car and left the Midwest behind.

I had researched areas where I wanted to concentrate my search and made a weighted spreadsheet of COL, temperatures, etc. before I left but I didn't have any set destination. Much to my surprise and joy, I found exactly what I wanted and needed on my second day of searching once I reached Arizona. I had feared that I would have to take a short-term rental while I was on a waiting list for low-income housing. I was shocked to find immediate availability in two areas.

I chose the second location and love it! I have views of two nearby mountain ranges and there are wide-open vistas with another distant range. While I live in a rural area, I'm just off the highway. Less than 15 minutes takes me into a small city with plenty of big box shopping and restaurants.

The people here are very friendly and welcoming. I'm more active in this community than I'd been for years. The abundant sunshine also removed my previous constant depression. I'm thankful for all the women who posted about their own journey to a find new place. I'm thankful every day that I had the courage to relocate more than 1,800 miles to this wonderful area.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:55 AM

2,457 posts, read 2,101,044 times
Yes, and in a good way. We are still very new to the move, as it's been less than 6 months. It was a combination downsize- relocate-retire move and we looked for a very long time at different areas, but still in the same general region, which as it happens is a little over an hour from where we were for 30 ish years.
I think we were very lucky because we find the new area appeals so much to us, more than we had expected.
it's still a big adjustment and for sure we do not have a social circle or some other key parts of comfort level, but overall it's a work in progress .
I think that the act of moving made it clear to us that we HAVE to seek things out. Where we were was a very good area, but I think we stagnated there and lost any sense of excitement. Of course the weather has turned now, but in the mild weather we went to several street fairs and the like in the new location whereas in the old location we probably wouldn't have bothered. (and we enjoyed it)

Old 11-28-2018, 10:21 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,170,636 times
Nope because I basically never knew anyone, well not more than one or two aquaintences anywhere I have lived over my life.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:58 PM

9,207 posts, read 8,298,253 times
We moved to South Florida from Myrtle Beach, SC and it was easy because we had so many friends with second homes here and family here.

We've made amazing friends also.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:06 PM

56,054 posts, read 54,552,165 times
Hmm. I didn't quite move in retirement, but I now spend about half my time in another place far both in distance and in environment from where I live.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:43 PM

30,682 posts, read 49,443,611 times
My career required that we had to move every 3 years. So moving after I retired was not a big deal.

We bought 150 acres of forest land, with river frontage, very rural, we love it.

We are not in a sub-division, we are not in any retirement center. Though we are in the oldest state with the highest percentage of retirees.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:10 PM

7,801 posts, read 4,387,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
We moved to South Florida from Myrtle Beach, SC and it was easy because we had so many friends with second homes here and family here.

We've made amazing friends also.
Except...that wouldn't be "where you knew no one"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or