U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 10:23 AM

267 posts, read 157,541 times

Advertisements

When you moved away, were you depressed in any way,
or suffer anxiety? Or were you thrilled and happy?

Oddly, I am happy yet unhappy at the prospect of moving
in this situation. Ingrained habits and routine are very
difficult to change, the older I get. So I am very indecisive,
even after much thought, research and visiting there recently
with a real estate agent. And I am not enthused as I should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 01:01 PM

7,816 posts, read 4,407,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post

Same here; in fact, I'm terrified. Yet I know I have to do it. The alternative is just "more of the same."

Old 12-05-2018, 03:41 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,738,497 times
We moved 800 miles away partially due to economics and partially for the adventure of change. Just about everything is different from what we knew most or our lives - the climate, the politics and culture, the geography, the type of house we live in, the gardening/plants, the food that groceries carry and on and on. I sometimes regret our move but without at least trying, I never would have known. It has forced me to create new experiences and alliances that are uncomfortable at first but so worth it. I also think in some way it is good for our grown children to observe our willingness to try something "scary and new"...if that makes sense. We can always go back when or if the time is right.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:56 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,620,740 times
Absolutely! From growing up in NYC , moving to So Florida in my 30s to living my dream in retirement. An 1886 farmhouse in the Blue Ridge MTS. I bought it in 2005, I didn't know a soul. I'll be 65 next year and it is so awesome. I appreciate where I am every day

Old 12-05-2018, 04:48 PM
JRR

3,687 posts, read 2,234,391 times
We moved from Central Florida to Middle Tennessee 20 months ago. The only people we knew when we moved in were our real estate agent and the lady who owned the cottage that we had rented while we were checking the area out. For us it has been a great move. We like the weather, like the area and like the people. No way would we ever go back to the Orlando area.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:29 PM

3,145 posts, read 1,735,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
I am just curious.

We are happier than we've ever been but are not retired. But it's as if we are retired already.

Living within a national forest in a town 2 hrs away (almost 2 hrs from my employer) where the air and water is clean. Mountains, animals, happy people abide here. Not perfect people but much happier than I've seen anywhere

There is endless mountains, lakes, rivers all around us. Most homes around us, in our sub-division, are vacation homes. The town has about 100 full timers. So for every 2 homes, the third house is occupied.

Sure driving has been alot harder. Drive 1.5 hrs over the state boarder to shop. Drive to work, almost 4 hrs round trip 1x a week, once in a blue moon, 2x a week. Stay overnight 2 nights.
Lots of friends to hike with. None to bike with, sadly but that's fine. Ton of great trails. Of the full timers, about half are retired. It is weird to feel like you are on vacation all the time when you are just at home.

It's been a year now. Lots of friends, well 4 good friends so far and a couple who is becoming close friends but they are only here part time. We only visited 1-2x for 1-2 hrs then decided to buy a home here.

Downfall- our son doesn't make it up every month, it was once as long as 8 weeks. We went down there for one night, his b-day during hta ttime. He stays for 4 days or so when he does come up. Only one friend drove up here so far to see us Medical care is limited to one clinic, one doctor, 30 min away which is open business hours mon-fri. Only one Tiny hospital 1.5 hrs away which often cannot do a whole lot for you. No pets allowed due to snow, unless you want your dogs in for 3 months out of the year. Bears/coyotes kill cats and some dogs. No chickens. Short vegetable growing season so kind of a waste. Run of of food but we need to loose a few lbs anyhow. we are lower income than most everyone here but no one notices, house fits in and everyone is more into recreation so it's not as apparent. Hiking/walking/fishing going to each others for dinner. A few churches but none we want to attend

Anyone had such an experience?
I find this so depressing. WHY?

Old 12-05-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
We moved 800 miles away partially due to economics and partially for the adventure of change. Just about everything is different from what we knew most or our lives - the climate, the politics and culture, the geography, the type of house we live in, the gardening/plants, the food that groceries carry and on and on. I sometimes regret our move but without at least trying, I never would have known. It has forced me to create new experiences and alliances that are uncomfortable at first but so worth it. I also think in some way it is good for our grown children to observe our willingness to try something "scary and new"...if that makes sense. We can always go back when or if the time is right.
No, it doesn't make sense. I would never move that way to impress anyone, definitely not my kids. Perhaps I don't understand such moves because while I don't LOVE where I live, I like it pretty well.
"the climate, the politics and culture, the geography, the type of house we live in, the gardening/plants, the food that groceries carry and on and on. " Everything is good except I wish we lived on a hill, I could see more of the sky, and a sun rise or sunset or both. But I am ok with a partial sun rise i can see through our windows to the east and south facing backyard.
If my husband dies before me I may move into a condo but maybe within the town. Unless I move close to one of my kinds I would not move.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post

I think your body is telling you something. But I always get anxiety when I am leaving our house, even on vacation. So it may actually indicate nothing.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:48 AM

7,816 posts, read 4,407,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I think your body is telling you something. But I always get anxiety when I am leaving our house, even on vacation. So it may actually indicate nothing.
Change is hard. So it's difficult to know if it's just normal anxiety and fear of the unknown or a sign from above/your intuition telling you not to do it!

Old 12-06-2018, 08:39 AM

1,324 posts, read 839,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Change is hard. So it's difficult to know if it's just normal anxiety and fear of the unknown or a sign from above/your intuition telling you not to do it!
It is a difficult decision to make. Maybe it was a bit easier in my case because I was in a bad situation. I prayed for several years. The lyrics "got to get out of this place, if it's the last thing I ever do" was an almost daily mantra.

After I spoke with my children about moving so far away, I started my research. When I finalized my plans, neither my son nor daughter were thrilled that I would be camping in a state park once I reached my destination. "Mom, you haven't camped in over ten years!" didn't stop me. I had decided it was now or never, I didn't want it to be never! I also wanted to do it cheaply - I couldn't afford to spend a lot as I didn't know how soon I'd be able to find a permanent apartment.

You can do it too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or