U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 09:28 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times

Advertisements

Asking others how their situation changed when they moved may not always be of help to someone in making their own decision to move. The answers will always be a little bit of good and a little bit of bad. To me that would only serve to raise the level of anxiety. It only serves to add to the procrastination of the one trying to make up their mind about relocating.

I see the biggest reason for people's procrastination is wanting a guarantee their new place will be better than their old, their new life will be more satisfying than the one they're leaving and their happiness will be assured.

They hope all of these things can be arranged long distance prior to their relocating so they agonize over what they believe to be the most minute details of what obstacles they may run into in their new home. They ask numerous questions of others as to what their problems were and how did they solve them. They want all the questions answered before the questions are even asked. They are frozen in place until they are satisfied which might be never.

Lest anyone be offended, let me assure you I am not only talking about "them," I am also talking about me. I made it so much harder on myself in my own procrastination planing and waiting for the ideal conditions that never came. And you know what? Most of my carefully made out plans turned out so wrong. And you know why? Because when you're planning for a different life you get a different life so it stands to reason you're going to have to start out all over figuring out how to deal with it a little before but mostly after it happens.

Was it worth it? Absolutely! Would I do it again even with all the problems and adjustments I had to/still am make/making? Sure. If I ever decide to do it again would I do it differently? Yes, mostly just by expecting the unexpected and dealing with things as they happen. And, yes, there will always be pluses and minuses as to whether to move or not to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 09:31 AM

13,314 posts, read 25,550,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
how long have you been there, if I may ask?
I got here on April 23 of this year.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:32 AM

605 posts, read 188,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Asking others how their situation changed when they moved may not always be of help to someone in making their own decision to move. The answers will always be a little bit of good and a little bit of bad. To me that would only serve to raise the level of anxiety. It only serves to add to the procrastination of the one trying to make up their mind about relocating.

I see the biggest reason for people's procrastination is wanting a guarantee their new place will be better than their old, their new life will be more satisfying than the one they're leaving and their happiness will be assured.

They hope all of these things can be arranged long distance prior to their relocating so they agonize over what they believe to be the most minute details of what obstacles they may run into in their new home. They ask numerous questions of others as to what their problems were and how did they solve them. They want all the questions answered before the questions are even asked. They are frozen in place until they are satisfied which might be never.

Lest anyone be offended, let me assure you I am not only talking about "them," I am also talking about me. I made it so much harder on myself in my own procrastination planing and waiting for the ideal conditions that never came. And you know what? Most of my carefully made out plans turned out so wrong. And you know why? Because when you're planning for a different life you get a different life so it stands to reason you're going to have to start out all over figuring out how to deal with it a little before but mostly after it happens.

Was it worth it? Absolutely! Would I do it again even with all the problems and adjustments I had to/still am make/making? Sure. If I ever decide to do it again would I do it differently? Yes, mostly just by expecting the unexpected and dealing with things as they happen. And, yes, there will always be pluses and minuses as to whether to move or not to move.
When we moved, we'd visited the town only 2x.
Basically we discussed the weather, utilities, demographics, trails, lakes, and mostly what is found on spellings or online. So far, no surprises except the wildlife is much worse.
Same wildlife as we have but for some reason, cats, small dogs, chickens do not survive outside there.
I miss having cats and chickens. It snows for the winter so any dogs would need to be inside dogs, no thanks.

Glad you ended up in the right place!

Old 12-06-2018, 02:22 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
Quote:
When we moved, we'd visited the town only 2x.
Basically we discussed the weather, utilities, demographics, trails, lakes, and mostly what is found on spellings or online. So far, no surprises except the wildlife is much worse.
Same wildlife as we have but for some reason, cats, small dogs, chickens do not survive outside there.
I miss having cats and chickens. It snows for the winter so any dogs would need to be inside dogs, no thanks.

Glad you ended up in the right place!
Same to you. Life's full of opportunities and chances whether we take them or not.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:50 PM

30,677 posts, read 49,430,310 times
Quote:
... No pets allowed due to snow, unless you want your dogs in for 3 months out of the year. Bears/coyotes kill cats and some dogs. No chickens.
Quote:
... Same wildlife as we have but for some reason, cats, small dogs, chickens do not survive outside there. I miss having cats and chickens. It snows for the winter so any dogs would need to be inside dogs, no thanks.
For the past 3 or 4 weeks we have had coyote pups playing near our house a couple nights each week. They get very loud too. The forest is so dense around our house that within 20 paces you are starting to lose sight of the house. Sometimes they get so loud that they interrupt viewing TV shows. But when I go outside I can not see them, the forest underbrush is too dense.

We have seen hawks kill our cats. One time while taking a long walk with my dog, a bobcat chased my dog and bit her rump.

If there is a lot of wildlife up near your home, you do need to pay attention to your pets. We have lost dozens of our chickens due to predators.

We have not seen any problems from low temperatures here with our livestock or pets.

The coldest temps we have seen is generally around -20F every year, January through February.

Dogs and cats do just fine with those temps. Often they prefer to curl up in a ball and sleep in a snow bank.

Just behind our house is a river that freezes over. We have had a few dogs that preferred to sleep on the river ice.

The only reason I am aware of to bring our pets inside is to avoid the predators.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:06 PM

571 posts, read 264,786 times
we moved from a state we both were born in, owned the same house for 32 years and moved 1500 miles to a new state having visited 2 times -

my 7 month report is

1. southern hospitality is so great - yes mam - yes sir - thank you etc etc
2. good bye traffic and sitting on freeways for hours on end or 45 min trip to home depot -
3. took the money and ran from our house - granted we sent tons on 3 remodels / additions over the years
4. you find out real fast who your REAL are or who you thought they were - no phones calls - emails etc
5.slower pace of life - OMG cant put number to that
6. hotter that hell - thats why there is ac
7. took mother in law so no issue their - well some
8. not as many restaurant and food varieties we were used too
9. gas $1.96 today
10 a $300 water bill - so much for green grass when its 100 for 3 months
11. great neighbors
12. miss the mountains - as least being able to see them and no which way was north - flat as a pancake here -

all in all i would have done it earlier if we had the $$$$ - no regrets - and lots of new places to see- people to meet and hang with and this phase of our lives - time for us -

Old 12-06-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
For the past 3 or 4 weeks we have had coyote pups playing near our house a couple nights each week. They get very loud too. The forest is so dense around our house that within 20 paces you are starting to lose sight of the house. Sometimes they get so loud that they interrupt viewing TV shows. But when I go outside I can not see them, the forest underbrush is too dense.

We have seen hawks kill our cats. One time while taking a long walk with my dog, a bobcat chased my dog and bit her rump.

If there is a lot of wildlife up near your home, you do need to pay attention to your pets. We have lost dozens of our chickens due to predators.

We have not seen any problems from low temperatures here with our livestock or pets.

The coldest temps we have seen is generally around -20F every year, January through February.

Dogs and cats do just fine with those temps. Often they prefer to curl up in a ball and sleep in a snow bank.

Just behind our house is a river that freezes over. We have had a few dogs that preferred to sleep on the river ice.

The only reason I am aware of to bring our pets inside is to avoid the predators.
Interesting. So sorry you lost chickens. You sound very attentive to your animals. We cannot have livestock, the bears here are very gutsy compared to where we lived before. Sometimes the Tourist/Vacationers feed the bears so they can get quite close. Many campers here, there are around 20 national park campgrounds, and many resorets. The town might need to erect a few signs warning not to feed them. They break into peoples cars, local restaurants and such. Our town needs bear proof containers. Everyone has to take their trash to the dump 3x a week, cannot let it accumulate outside or even in the house.

We have hawks and bobcats too and I believe a hawk killed the baby robins and it's parents. We saved one and raised it, hopefully it will be back to visit when the seasons change. It took a few weeks flying in and out of the house, only coming it to eat and take an hour or two rest on the stairs. Then it wanted out again.

We are considering paying for a fence that is "school grade" so a bear or any animal cannot dig underneath or atop. hen a second fence inside it to keep the chickens away from the outside. Well also add that cheap plastic chicken wire so the hawks and other birds cannot dive bomb them.

Also considering a way to slightly heat the coup. It would be located between the house and garage. I really really want chickens I believe the snow here, over the winter, would bury the animals here so it's not really the cold we are concerned with.

We had such a short growing season it was disappointing. Even the kale stopped growing already and we've gotten just a few stints of rain. Sorta wanted to be more self sufficient than we are but it is in a good location for solar panels when we get around to it.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:47 PM

30,677 posts, read 49,430,310 times
Quote:
Interesting. So sorry you lost chickens. You sound very attentive to your animals. We cannot have livestock, the bears here are very gutsy compared to where we lived before. Sometimes the Tourist/Vacationers feed the bears so they can get quite close. Many campers here, there are around 20 national park campgrounds, and many resorets. The town might need to erect a few signs warning not to feed them. They break into peoples cars, local restaurants and such. Our town needs bear proof containers. Everyone has to take their trash to the dump 3x a week, cannot let it accumulate outside or even in the house.

We have hawks and bobcats too and I believe a hawk killed the baby robins and it's parents. We saved one and raised it, hopefully it will be back to visit when the seasons change. It took a few weeks flying in and out of the house, only coming it to eat and take an hour or two rest on the stairs. Then it wanted out again.

We are considering paying for a fence that is "school grade" so a bear or any animal cannot dig underneath or atop. hen a second fence inside it to keep the chickens away from the outside. Well also add that cheap plastic chicken wire so the hawks and other birds cannot dive bomb them.

Also considering a way to slightly heat the coup. It would be located between the house and garage. I really really want chickens I believe the snow here, over the winter, would bury the animals here so it's not really the cold we are concerned with.

We had such a short growing season it was disappointing. Even the kale stopped growing already and we've gotten just a few stints of rain. Sorta wanted to be more self sufficient than we are but it is in a good location for solar panels when we get around to it.
We often get a bear hibernating on our land, can't tell until Spring though. Here they pretty much avoid houses.

We have plenty growing season here.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We often get a bear hibernating on our land, can't tell until Spring though. Here they pretty much avoid houses.

We have plenty growing season here.
I am envious! They say our bears don't hibernate, or not all do. Some are still out and about during winter.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:01 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,537,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Yes, a very similar experience. I suspect we are neighbors-ish. But I do have a dog indoors, and I am driving 45 min each way to work and still working 5 days per week. I have another 4 to 6 years of full-time work to go.

Rural living is a big adjustment, but I am liking it just fine. The clean air and peace/quiet are very appealing. And the elbow room after decades of subdivision living.

(Many breeds of dog will do fine outdoors if you provide them with shelter).

I live in a small town. It's not exactly rural, but its a very different place than the suburbs I've always lived in. There are a lot of people with dogs, a couple of them not at all unusual. Cats are also common. Then there's the porch kitties who aren't owned by someone but do stay in their part of the neighborhood. My new kids (the older ones I've had for over a decade have all passed on) are former porch kitties and they are doing great in their big playpen.

I don't know if I could have managed without a car here (can't drive via vision problems, not safe to drive, alas) but there is Amazon and the grocery stores who also deliver now. And I haven't found anything I *need* to go to a store for. Its a good way to keep the spending dollars under control too.

I've actually thought about moving back to the suburban world, but while we live in one which has a much different feel, I am used to it now, and just can't imagine living with the multitudes you have to in a large city. And even if there is more there, it costs a LOT more. Not to mention that being in a hurry all the time wasn't ever really me, so I am very comfortable here where rushing is a thing seldom even considered.

We fell in love with this one town in mid California which was about this size, but geesh, but even in a small town the costs were way high. But I still wish it had worked out and we could have awakened with the scent of tall pines in the air.

I find that sometimes I really wish I had had that chance for the pine trees and the people we met, but then back when I was a reluctant part of the race I wouldn't heve ever really believed I'd end up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or