U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 08:26 AM

259 posts, read 154,580 times

Advertisements

Eaton 53---you mean Holiday Florida? That is where I am looking--also Port Richey area.

What is a PITA?

One way to justify moving away is to get a easy small part-time job or gig there--if it doesn't subtract from social security payments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 09:40 AM

1,318 posts, read 835,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I want to be your neighbor.
Actually I've been looking at the 55+ communities, Winterhaven and Holiday, for some time. The weather here $^%&* suxs.
My wife is overly cautious but once I retire I'm having a hard time coming up with a good reason to stay here.

I plan on visiting the area soon.

Come on down and visit. Southeast Arizona is a very special place

Old 12-09-2018, 01:27 AM

4,428 posts, read 1,679,997 times
Not really. I've always been a hermit, and I didn't know anybody I left behind, either.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:43 PM

4,033 posts, read 1,819,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Eaton 53---you mean Holiday Florida? That is where I am looking--also Port Richey area.
Holiday is a 55+ community in Sierra Vista, AZ.
The humidity in Florida is too much for me.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:14 PM

120 posts, read 59,189 times
I moved from my Westchester, NY co-op to a brand new townhouse in Southern Central PA this past July, after retiring in 2015. I enjoy my privacy, so not knowing anyone in the immediate area wasn't really an issue. I am now geographically closer to many of my interests, and my nearest friend is about 1/2 hour away.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:42 PM

7,802 posts, read 4,393,390 times
I would imagine that unless the mover were moving somewhere to be closer to family and/or friends, they WOULD tend to be the loner/independent type. Otherwise, they probably wouldn't be leaving people they know and presumably care for behind.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:39 AM

5,788 posts, read 4,841,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I would imagine that unless the mover were moving somewhere to be closer to family and/or friends, they WOULD tend to be the loner/independent type. Otherwise, they probably wouldn't be leaving people they know and presumably care for behind.
Actually not true at all for us. We had family and friends where we lived. But we wanted a different lifestyle in retirement than we could afford where we were at (CA). We also wanted to be near other retirees who had similar interests and time and energy to engage in activities that we like to do. Where we were, everyone was still working, or when they retired they became homebodies who never wanted to get out and go somewhere.

Moving cross country to somewhere that we knew no one was, to me, a big adventure. To my DH, it was scary. He'd lived in the same area his whole life and was worried that we wouldn't make new friends or that we'd make a mistake. He was excited initially, but as the day drew near, and the enormity of it all settled in, he became very stressed about it. The trip was long, 5 days, and hard as we were moving ourselves and he had to drive a large truck with our dogs. I followed with my car, and my cat, and MIL (86). That was the longest 5 days of our lives! In the end, after we finally got here, he broke down with relief, but also with the finality of it all. It took him a day or two to relax. But after that, we've never regretted it for a minute. We love our life here, and we have a lot more friends and "playmates". We still talk to our old friends and family every week or two, and I visit every year. But we have many more friends now than before.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:51 AM

6,598 posts, read 1,361,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post

What is a PITA?
Pain In The Arse (so to speak, lol)

Old 12-11-2018, 10:47 AM

30,686 posts, read 49,462,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
My last duty station was Naples Italy [with various extended trips to Kosovo], while I did have some friends there. They were likewise all on three-year tours also. Every year you expect about one-third of the personnel to leave and to be replaced with fresh faces.

My wife and children were there with me, but obviously none of our relatives lived there.

I had gotten too old to continue serving in combat so I was retired, and we returned stateside.

Every duty station where I was homeported I brought my family along with me, so whenever I was up on the surface I could visit with them.

In my career field when you change homeport you bring your loved ones with you to the new homeport. So everytime you go up on the surface you can visit them.

Now that I have am retired I get to live full-time with my wife, instead of just doing normal visits.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 421 times
Default Did moving to a new town where you knew no-one change your life in retirement?

Just curious, BumbleBeeHunter. What is your general geographical location?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or