Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 06:48 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I live in a small town. It's not exactly rural, but its a very different place than the suburbs I've always lived in. There are a lot of people with dogs, a couple of them not at all unusual. Cats are also common. Then there's the porch kitties who aren't owned by someone but do stay in their part of the neighborhood. My new kids (the older ones I've had for over a decade have all passed on) are former porch kitties and they are doing great in their big playpen.

I don't know if I could have managed without a car here (can't drive via vision problems, not safe to drive, alas) but there is Amazon and the grocery stores who also deliver now. And I haven't found anything I *need* to go to a store for. Its a good way to keep the spending dollars under control too.

I've actually thought about moving back to the suburban world, but while we live in one which has a much different feel, I am used to it now, and just can't imagine living with the multitudes you have to in a large city. And even if there is more there, it costs a LOT more. Not to mention that being in a hurry all the time wasn't ever really me, so I am very comfortable here where rushing is a thing seldom even considered.

We fell in love with this one town in mid California which was about this size, but geesh, but even in a small town the costs were way high. But I still wish it had worked out and we could have awakened with the scent of tall pines in the air.

I find that sometimes I really wish I had had that chance for the pine trees and the people we met, but then back when I was a reluctant part of the race I wouldn't heve ever really believed I'd end up here.
For myself as a male single person, I think shopping is way over rated. I don't do malls (hate them) and just need a basic grocery store nearby. I currently live where there are a lot of stores of every possible kind in So Cal but I always just go to the local market. I don't care about the latest grocery store trends and I think I've been to Trader Joes once or twice in my life.
I don't eat out very much at all, well maybe once every two weeks at a fast or semi-fast food place. I'll try a new restaurant once or so just to check it out but that's about it.
When moving to my retirement town, having lots of shopping options is at the bottom of my list, especially with Amazon available. All I really need is a basic little grocery store, a mom and pop restaurant and a couple fast food joints.

I can easily be in a pine forest in the mountains within a half hour drive here. Yes, they are indeed beautiful but so are hard wood deciduous forests. I don't think one is more lovely than the other, they are different for obvious reasons.

Last edited by marino760; 12-07-2018 at 06:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 08:21 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
For myself as a male single person, I think shopping is way over rated. I don't do malls (hate them) and just need a basic grocery store nearby. I currently live where there are a lot of stores of every possible kind in So Cal but I always just go to the local market.

While I agree with your sentiments about malls (I also hate them!), I decided that I didn't want to live in an area that wasn't close to a variety of stores. Where I grew up, the cities and towns abutted, and there were many types of stores and restaurants. I didn't think I could go from variety to only being able to shop at Safeway and Walmart (I'm not a fan of this store and avoid it!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
When moving to my retirement town, having lots of shopping options is at the bottom of my list, especially with Amazon available. All I really need is a basic little grocery store, a mom and pop restaurant and a couple fast food joints.

I didn't realize, until I arrived and looked at various areas, that shopping would be such a consideration for me. While my town only has a Dollar General, Circle K and a diner, I'm close enough to a small city that I can get whatever I desire within a few minutes.

For me, weather, COL, and shopping venue were the primary factors

Old 12-07-2018, 09:36 AM

749 posts, read 580,342 times
Looks like most of you moved with a partner, as a couple. I am alone and older than you. One alternative choice is to move within some driving distance of where you live but in a very different area. (I would choose more rural) then you would not be leaving your home forever and you could still keep your contacts and professionals that you use like doctors. Of course, this is a big compromise from moving to where you truly desire... If I could magically move where I want, I would do it--but it is the process of moving itself, especially buying a property that also scares me--I have always rented and my rent has not risen in over 10 years. I have only a modest nest egg.
Not to make a decision is to make one--keep the status quo. So we cannot escape making a decision. I wish someone would make the choice for me--but no one cares much what I do. My friend never encourages or discourages--is always neutral. Worse is that I am at the very lowest end of condo prices unless I choose small towns that are second/third choices. (I wonder about homes that are priced low--there is often a negative reason for that.)

Old 12-07-2018, 10:14 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,643,077 times
^^^^Why don't you and Otter go rent a place for awhile? That's the only way to find out, before you commit. I get being "stuck" and uncertain, but if you try a place for a few months, you should get a feel for it. I moved a lot as a single person in my late 40s and early 50s, but sure, it would be harder now at 60+.

I think if you don't try it, you'll regret it.

It's all a trade-off, anyway. We traded the security of the U.S. in order to live affordably on the beach with a bunch of other crazy expats. But we expected huge change, and huge difference in conveniences, etc.

For example, in retirement, it's a fun challenge to make recipes without many of the ingredients we're used to. I don't get upset about it, since I expected it. OTOH, we have all hand-crafted hardwood custom furniture since it's so cheap to have made here. I just saw 3 Paso Fino horses prance by on the beach.

We don't have close friends; just friendly acquaintances. That's OK. We'd do anything to help each other, and that's good enough for me. I like condo life (despite the inevitable few bad apples) because you can be alone or together as you choose. But you don't feel isolated.

If we did on minimum SS, YOU can too! To answer the question, yeah, life has changed quite a bit!

Old 12-07-2018, 10:54 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Looks like most of you moved with a partner, as a couple. I am alone and older than you. One alternative choice is to move within some driving distance of where you live but in a very different area. (I would choose more rural) then you would not be leaving your home forever and you could still keep your contacts and professionals that you use like doctors. Of course, this is a big compromise from moving to where you truly desire... If I could magically move where I want, I would do it--but it is the process of moving itself, especially buying a property that also scares me--I have always rented and my rent has not risen in over 10 years. I have only a modest nest egg.
Not to make a decision is to make one--keep the status quo. So we cannot escape making a decision. I wish someone would make the choice for me--but no one cares much what I do. My friend never encourages or discourages--is always neutral. Worse is that I am at the very lowest end of condo prices unless I choose small towns that are second/third choices. (I wonder about homes that are priced low--there is often a negative reason for that.)
Your friend is very wise. No one in the world should ever, ever make that decision for you. That would be a terrible burden to put on someone and a decision that something a true friend would never ask of another to do.

You can always rent at first while checking out condos in a new town if buying new property is your biggest obstacle.

Look, I don't drive, am alone and had to make all arrangements by myself for myself while dealing with a chronic illness as I was making my plans and doing the actual moving. So big deal. I'm jus saying, we all have our hurdles to overcome. I was certainly terrified at times.

But eventually you run out of excuses and you do what you have to do if you really, really want to do it. I don't think you really want to and that's fine. Just don't expect others to either make up your mind of do the actual moving arrangements for you. It's your life, at this stage of it, it's your move.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:26 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
"^^^^Why don't you and Otter go rent a place for awhile?"

Huh?

I wouldn't have any problem buying, when I'm ready, and then reselling in a couple of years if it didn't work out. Obviously I'd like to get as close as possible, before I take the plunge, to choosing the right location. But eventually you just have to make a decision and act on it and, if it turns out to be the wrong one, take action to right it down the line. Or not do anything at all.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:47 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,643,077 times
^^^Well, not together, though you could do that, LOL. Buying and selling in a short time frame is a PITA. If you rent, you can get a feel for a place.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:32 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
^^^Well, not together, though you could do that, LOL. Buying and selling in a short time frame is a PITA. If you rent, you can get a feel for a place.
I don't pay rent; I collect rent.

Also, the title of this thread: how could it NOT change your life?

Old 12-07-2018, 06:09 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
For me, weather, COL, and shopping venue were the primary factors
I want to be your neighbor.
Actually I've been looking at the 55+ communities, Winterhaven and Holiday, for some time. The weather here $^%&* suxs.
My wife is overly cautious but once I retire I'm having a hard time coming up with a good reason to stay here.

I plan on visiting the area soon.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:12 PM

605 posts, read 335,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

Also, the title of this thread: how could it NOT change your life?
that is not the title of this thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement