Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 03:47 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,013,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Except...that wouldn't be "where you knew no one"...
We did not know any locals before we moved here. Our MB friends homes here were second, third, and sometimes fourth homes so they weren't here at all in off season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 03:51 PM

16,000 posts, read 10,563,608 times
I knew how to make friends when I moved to a strange place so my life changed but not on that account.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:08 PM

29,850 posts, read 18,694,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Yes, and I'm so glad that I did it! Though I was scared, I packed a few things into my car and left the Midwest behind.

I had researched areas where I wanted to concentrate my search and made a weighted spreadsheet of COL, temperatures, etc. before I left but I didn't have any set destination. Much to my surprise and joy, I found exactly what I wanted and needed on my second day of searching once I reached Arizona. I had feared that I would have to take a short-term rental while I was on a waiting list for low-income housing. I was shocked to find immediate availability in two areas.

I chose the second location and love it! I have views of two nearby mountain ranges and there are wide-open vistas with another distant range. While I live in a rural area, I'm just off the highway. Less than 15 minutes takes me into a small city with plenty of big box shopping and restaurants.

The people here are very friendly and welcoming. I'm more active in this community than I'd been for years. The abundant sunshine also removed my previous constant depression. I'm thankful for all the women who posted about their own journey to a find new place. I'm thankful every day that I had the courage to relocate more than 1,800 miles to this wonderful area.
Yeah that area to me has the best climate in the USA outside of California and the best climate of any low/reasonable cost area in the USA in my opinion. I fight SADD every winter and I also hate hot humidity of the Southeast USA. Our current plan is to continue living in the PNW for most of the year and winter in Phoenix area and the cheaper Plan B is to move to the Sierra Vista area year round after I retire in a few months.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:59 PM

17,265 posts, read 11,114,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yeah that area to me has the best climate in the USA outside of California and the best climate of any low/reasonable cost area in the USA in my opinion. I fight SADD every winter and I also hate hot humidity of the Southeast USA. Our current plan is to continue living in the PNW for most of the year and winter in Phoenix area and the cheaper Plan B is to move to the Sierra Vista area year round after I retire in a few months.
That sounds like a good plan. If I didn't currently already live in the desert southwest, I probably would be considering it. I've been here almost all my life and need a change. I want to see rain more than 3-4 times a year. I want to see green, not brown and hardwood trees which lose their leaves in the fall, not just pines on a mountain. I'm tired of my skin being cracked and dry from lack of moisture, LOL.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:36 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,883,120 times
Quote:
Downfall- our son doesn't make it up every month, it was once as long as 8 weeks. We went down there for one night, his b-day during hta ttime. He stays for 4 days or so when he does come up. Only one friend drove up here so far to see us Medical care is limited to one clinic, one doctor, 30 min away which is open business hours mon-fri. Only one Tiny hospital 1.5 hrs away which often cannot do a whole lot for you. No pets allowed due to snow, unless you want your dogs in for 3 months out of the year. Bears/coyotes kill cats and some dogs. No chickens. Short vegetable growing season so kind of a waste. Run of of food but we need to loose a few lbs anyhow. we are lower income than most everyone here but no one notices, house fits in and everyone is more into recreation so it's not as apparent. Hiking/walking/fishing going to each others for dinner. A few churches but none we want to attend
What's that about no dogs allowed? Why would you have a dog if he was always outside -- by himself -- away from you -- all the time? I guess that's why you don't have one; you don't consider them as pets like many of us do. My mini poodle lives WITH me IN the house. He loves going for walks and to the dog park when it snows. All the dogs love the snow. I live in VT.

I imagine your son will visit less and less. If you are far enough away that he has to make an overnight stay of it, it will become a hassle for him. Hope you don't develop any ongoing need for medical services.

Added: sorry about my tone but that bit about the dog just hit me wrong. And you have listed a lot of negatives in spite of loving where you are.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:34 PM

29,850 posts, read 18,694,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That sounds like a good plan. If I didn't currently already live in the desert southwest, I probably would be considering it. I've been here almost all my life and need a change. I want to see rain more than 3-4 times a year. I want to see green, not brown and hardwood trees which lose their leaves in the fall, not just pines on a mountain. I'm tired of my skin being cracked and dry from lack of moisture, LOL.
I understand...the brown, the dust and the dry skin are the negatives in the desert southwest. Wouldn't that be somewhat mitigated in places like Prescott and Sierra Vista?

Old 11-28-2018, 10:32 PM

37,460 posts, read 45,666,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
What's that about no dogs allowed? Why would you have a dog if he was always outside -- by himself -- away from you -- all the time? I guess that's why you don't have one; you don't consider them as pets like many of us do. My mini poodle lives WITH me IN the house. He loves going for walks and to the dog park when it snows. All the dogs love the snow. I live in VT.

I imagine your son will visit less and less. If you are far enough away that he has to make an overnight stay of it, it will become a hassle for him. Hope you don't develop any ongoing need for medical services.

Added: sorry about my tone but that bit about the dog just hit me wrong. And you have listed a lot of negatives in spite of loving where you are.
Lots of people love dogs but don't want them in the house 24/7. My brother has 2 German Shepherds that he loves, but they would drive him bonkers if they had to stay inside. They LOVE being outside, and they LOVE winter especially. Different strokes.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:03 AM

17,265 posts, read 11,114,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I understand...the brown, the dust and the dry skin are the negatives in the desert southwest. Wouldn't that be somewhat mitigated in places like Prescott and Sierra Vista?
I don't think it would make any difference as far as humidity. I think many of us including myself just want what we don't currently have.
I recently visited KY and felt like I was on another planet. It was so green, beautiful and lush. The humidity felt wonderful to me and my sinuses no longer felt like rocks. I didn't sneeze even once as opposed to where I live now in the desert, I usually have one or two sneezing fits every day.
So I think it really comes down to wanting something different, a change of scenery and climate at least it is for myself. For me, I have a real need for no more brown and no more very dry air. I love seeing water in the form of lakes, rivers and streams, something else I rarely see where I currently live. I'm sure most people east of the Rockies want just the opposite.
If I move there, I won't know anyone but everyone I met was super friendly and very polite, another thing I'm not used to here. I don't think I'll feel isolated at all once I get to know a few people and get involved in local activities.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:52 AM

997 posts, read 704,925 times
I relocated to the DC metro area in 2006. I didn't know anybody, didn't have time or try to make friends outside of work. I retired in 2016. Today I am in phone touch with only 3 people I used to work with. Retirement looks like many years of home aloneness. Sons live 2 and 7 hours away.
Fortunately I live in a vibrant area with lots of educational, cultural, and travel possibilities. I could never live in a remote area or small town not near a big city.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:36 AM

34,848 posts, read 30,929,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't think it would make any difference as far as humidity. I think many of us including myself just want what we don't currently have.
I recently visited KY and felt like I was on another planet. It was so green, beautiful and lush. The humidity felt wonderful to me and my sinuses no longer felt like rocks. I didn't sneeze even once as opposed to where I live now in the desert, I usually have one or two sneezing fits every day.
So I think it really comes down to wanting something different, a change of scenery and climate at least it is for myself. For me, I have a real need for no more brown and no more very dry air. I love seeing water in the form of lakes, rivers and streams, something else I rarely see where I currently live. I'm sure most people east of the Rockies want just the opposite.
If I move there, I won't know anyone but everyone I met was super friendly and very polite, another thing I'm not used to here. I don't think I'll feel isolated at all once I get to know a few people and get involved in local activities.
Honestly, I'd be very hard-pressed to live anywhere out West where there is a lack of water or frequent water restrictions. I don't like brown and arid conditions. In time, much of the West is going to be even more vulnerable from a lack of what than it is today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement