U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 08:45 AM

9,766 posts, read 7,047,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Believe me....it`s just not seniors. Guess being long winded, is just in their blood.
Indeed it's not. Long-windedness runs in our family, I swear, young and old.

I tend to be that way myself. I'm aware of it, though, and try to gauge the other people's reactions, their body language, to know when it's time to cut to the abridged version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 08:55 AM

6,840 posts, read 3,875,670 times
Remember that song "You talk too much"? hahaha

Old 11-28-2018, 09:22 AM

12,036 posts, read 5,142,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Indeed it's not. Long-windedness runs in our family, I swear, young and old.

I tend to be that way myself. I'm aware of it, though, and try to gauge the other people's reactions, their body language, to know when it's time to cut to the abridged version.
Sometimes I think it's something genetic. I'm not a talker at all and really don't talk much. When I was a little kid, people would comment to my parents about how quiet I was, LOL.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:24 AM

1,771 posts, read 571,378 times
Iíve seen this all my life. Though Iím a biologist, I worked in scientific equipment sales for a while. The biggest struggle I had was always trying to get people to stick to the point, not wander off on some tangent. I constantly had to guide them back onto relevant points, and these people were scientists.

It makes me absolutely crazy, and I refuse to associate with people socially, who will not be conscious of their subject content while talking. Far too many simply hook their mouths into whatever their brain is thinking and just give it free reign.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:27 AM

1,137 posts, read 571,069 times
Take a pack of 'No-bark collars' with you next time, and simply place it in plain sight.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:28 AM

12,036 posts, read 5,142,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I’ve seen this all my life. Though I’m a biologist, I worked in scientific equipment sales for a while. The biggest struggle I had was always trying to get people to stick to the point, not wander off on some tangent. I constantly had to guide them back onto relevant points, and these people were scientists.

It makes me absolutely crazy, and I refuse to associate with people socially, who will not be conscious of their subject content while talking. Far too many simply hook their mouths into whatever their brain is thinking and just give it free reign.
That's just it. It's like they have no control over what they are talking about. One minute it's about the color of their bedroom and the next minute they're talking about their vacation in Tahiti. It's like whatever pops into their head, they have to say out loud and they never miss a beat with no pause in-between.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:44 AM

1,926 posts, read 992,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
You know, reading through all the replies, a new thought struck me: you guys are right, this situation probably HAS been going on for awhile. Yet the other knitters haven't been driven away or done anything about it themselves. Why is that? They've been knitting together for years, why do they suddenly want the new person to fix it?

Maybe a deeper truth is the endless talking is annoying but they enjoy having something to complain about. If I fix it, they'll just find some other thing to complain about. Maybe me. Especially if my actions end up hurting Roberta, because people do like her, even though she does have this habit that they like to complain about. Plus she's the kind of person who gets devastated if anyone criticizes her; I can see any action on my part will just end up making her friend rally against the mean newcomer who hurt her feelings. Even though they started off wanting me to do something. Human nature, LOL

OK, glad I talked this out here and I think I'll just go find a book to read so I can ignore it.

You are a very nice person. and smart.

I wrote a reply but then I realized it was very long and didn't really address the original post .......

Old 11-28-2018, 09:57 AM

56 posts, read 82,958 times
To make a short story long!

Old 11-28-2018, 10:46 AM

1,671 posts, read 573,971 times
I've been a motormouth all my life, so hopefully I can offer some perspective.

As I've gotten older I have become more aware of how much I'm talking DURING the time I'm doing it, but I was always and am still very aware of it AFTERWARDS... usually after I've physically left whatever group or gathering it was ... and it's always one of those moments, believe me. Whether it was a case of "why didn't I shut up" or "why the bleep did I talk about THAT" (and sometimes both, lol) it is not something I'm exactly proud of doing.

My dad was also a motormouth; my mom was the complete opposite. So maybe it is genetic, who knows. I do take after my dad in most ways, physical as well as personality.

The question of "why" is always one of three reasons. Either there has been a distinct lull in the conversation and I feel compelled to jump in and fill the silence with something, OR the topic being discussed is one that I am either familar with or interested in, and I want to contribute/share what I know, OR someone has related an experience similar to something I have gone through and I feel the need to immediately chime in with a "me too" story.

None of these are an excuse but they are honest explanations of how I can rattle on until people get fidgety and their eyes start to glaze over, LOL. When I was younger (teens, 20s, 30s, 40s) I truly did not notice those reactions but eventually I started to. Some motormouths never become self-aware even to that extent. Some of us do, and we may start out with good conversational intentions but fall into our old lifelong habits (that'd be me) and then mentally kick ourselves afterwards.

The problem is that even when I do recognize the signs, and I realize "Oh bleep, I am making a fool of myself and need to shut up", I feel like I absolutely have to complete the train of thought/story/point rather than just cutting myself off in mid-sentence.

I don't think I've gotten worse as I got older; my awareness of it certainly has increased, though not to the extent that most people would probably like.

For me, at least, it's not a question of feeling lonely. I am one of those who likes people but in small doses. If I feel the need to express myself, I can do it in writing (email, blog, journal, forums like this one, lol) whenever. I do realize that it's almost always possible to say what I want to say in fewer words, but, well, I love words and feel a need to make myself understood. Which usually means more words. This post being a case in point, LOL

If there's a comparable word to 'logorrhea' for writing too much, well, obviously I've got that condition too, LOL

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 11-28-2018 at 10:54 AM..

Old 11-28-2018, 12:55 PM

6,325 posts, read 5,067,075 times
I don't think I do this, but will be more aware.

I do know I hate hearing people be so firm or what is the word, for being so fixed on a way of thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or