U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 08:32 PM

2,907 posts, read 1,586,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooluser View Post
Curt. Yes.

Terse, I can be terse. Once I was Laconic....

Pithy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 07:28 AM

1,345 posts, read 469,657 times
Long stories can be interesting if they are told well, especially with some humor.

My mother(89), and my sister in law (50)will both drone on and on, filling a story or anecdote with long winded, non pertinent "back stories", often losing track of what they started out talking about. My mother has stated that if she doesnt tell "the whole thing" she gets "backed up".

I listen patiently to my mother, trying to keep my mind from wandering, but I will get up and leave the room when my sister in law rambles on about some boring thing.

Funny side story I heard about recently.

My brother has a woman in his church that is upbeat and friendly, but suffers from verbal diarrhea, and she will kill any conversation with her (unaware) dominance of it.

They were trying to pick a hymn to sing before a bible study a while back, and this woman says " Does everybody know "I love to tell the story" ?(name of a hymn). My brother chimes in "Yes Debbie, we know, we all know...."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or