U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 02:45 PM

9,275 posts, read 8,342,179 times

Advertisements

I love Saltillo tiles and the story behind them! My sister's even have dog prints in them.

Get a pair of Oofos. They will change your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 02:59 PM

47 posts, read 12,547 times
I've been wearing Keen Venice Sandals around the house (tile and wood floors). I got them a half size larger so I can wear light socks in the winter. I have both Keen and Teva's and I find I like the Keens better, both for indoors and outdoors (Newports).

Old 11-28-2018, 03:10 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,319,620 times
I second Fit Flops for summer- but live in uggs slippers and boots in the winter. We have mostly hardwood floors but do have tile in the family room downstairs. Fatigue mats are a must for places like the sink or any work area where you may stand for a period of time.

Your tile sounds lovely.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:09 PM

1,754 posts, read 1,660,226 times
We have tile through the house, and radiant heat. I have had no issues, but the wife has said her legs hurt about half way through the day. She has a rubber cushion mat where she does food prep in the kitchen, and wears cushioned slippers or running shoes in the house during the day. That seems to work for her.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:10 PM

1,636 posts, read 753,585 times
I can't stand anything between my toes so I've bought several pairs of Dawgs Z-Sandals in bright colors. I've found them through ads on Facebook as cheaply as 9.99 a pair. They are cushioned and firm, last forever and are comfortable for walking inside and out.

https://www.amazon.com/DAWGS-Hounds-...58606536&psc=1

Old 11-28-2018, 08:15 PM

7,753 posts, read 4,764,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I love Saltillo tiles and the story behind them! My sister's even have dog prints in them.
I'm not sure I believe the story about the dog prints...that because the tiles are handmade and left out to dry, sometimes animals step in them. There are dog print tiles mixed in with the others in this house. There's at least a dozen. I could see one for good luck, maybe.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:28 PM

74 posts, read 26,828 times
Default Amazon or Zappos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
OK, looks like I'll have to order the Vionic flip flops online as I have wide feet. Good news is there's a huge selection.

Thanks again!
I’ve bought my wide Vionics at Amazon.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:24 PM

448 posts, read 283,915 times
I also use a long gel mat in the kitchen where I stand at the sink and counter.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:35 PM

4,451 posts, read 2,628,533 times
Quote:
I'm still in Phoenix at the new house.

It has Saltillo tile (Mexican pavers) throughout the "public" areas of the home. It is proving to be a problem for my feet. I am used to going barefoot at home in CA but there we have either carpet or hardwood flooring. Here, the tile is absolutely unyielding. Worse, Saltillo tiles tend to be uneven, so along with foot and ankle pain I'm getting pain in my arthritic knees, too.

The bedrooms and offices of the house and the casita have either hardwood or cork floors. No problems there. (I had never even seen a cork floor before this, didn't even know they existed.)

From reading some of the house forums, it seems this is a common problem with tile. Some suggest gel mats in the kitchen in the food prep areas. Other say, just wear flip flops inside the house. My Teva sandals don't seem to cushion quite enough but they're better than nothing.

What's your super comfortable go-to footwear?
Even with carpeting with good cushioning underneath in every room of the house save the kitchen (laminate) and bath ( real tiles), i always wear slippers or my summer made-for-my- feet orthopedic foam based sandals( about 1-1.5" thick) around the house. The bonus room has non padded commercial carpet over concrete.

In the kitchen are 3 gell mats, one in front of the sink, one in front of prep counter and one in front of stove.

I get around with a cane, have a bad back, bad necrotic hips and bad knees, and have arthritis in every bone and joint in my body.

So i need cushioning.

Select a good thick pair if foam sandals or get a pair of CROCKS foam shoes.

I had to get used to not going barefoot in favor of comfort.

If you do one of these, or invest in nurses padded shoes, youll be much more comfortable.

Best to you

Old 11-29-2018, 08:26 AM

9,275 posts, read 8,342,179 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I believe the story about the dog prints...that because the tiles are handmade and left out to dry, sometimes animals step in them. There are dog print tiles mixed in with the others in this house. There's at least a dozen. I could see one for good luck, maybe.
Well the tiles are from the 1920s when they were set in the sun to cure in Saltillo, Mexico. I doubt they were stamping them with dog prints at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement