Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 12:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times

Advertisements

I wear Keen flip flops now. I wear flip flops all year in my house.

Tile floors will kill your feet. And knees. And hips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 12:49 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Are you *certain* that the tile is what's giving you problems? Have you talked with a doctor about this?

I mean, just sayin' - it would suck to take the tile out, and find out that does not help.

What about some sort of thick rugs?

Tumbling to the obvious - your hubby is a certifiable jerk, but you know that anyway.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:54 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

Well, nothing has worked. I'm 65 but I walk like an 85 year old now because everything from my lower back on down hurts, clear down to my feet, no exaggeration. I was trying to walk from the parking lot into a store today and I dearly wished I had a walker or at least a shopping cart to lean on. I had to use one of those electric carts at Costco last night as I could not walk more than a few steps without crying in pain.

I want to get rid of the tile. The spouse wants to keep it. There is a lot of it in this house.
Not disputing your correlation between the flooring tile and what you describe above, but I have what you describe above which is "everything from my lower back on down hurts, clear down to my feet" and it has little to nothing to do with floor tiles, and everything to do with arthritis.

The pain you describe in lower back and down to your feet is something associated with osteoarthritis - I've had what you describe for many years due to osteoarthritis.

The osteoarthritis condition can come on what seems rather suddenly too. Suddenly it's just severe.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:31 PM

499 posts, read 471,009 times
Costco sells thick foam floor mats that work great in the kitchen; we have three--one in each kitchen work area, even with wood floors. Keep an indoor pair of flip flops for summer or mules for winter. We put Saltillo tile in our first home's kitchen, but when we built our current house a few years later, went with wood for the very problem you mention (and I was in my 30s then!).

Old 12-20-2018, 01:45 PM

812 posts, read 795,135 times
I wear Birkenstocks in the house. We don't have tile, but I do have bad neuropathy in my feet and they are the best for me. I'm sorry you are in such pain!

Old 12-20-2018, 06:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
If the pain worsened after moving to the new house with tile floor, I’d tend to believe the OP.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:48 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,560 times
We also have tile in our whole house. I got plantar fascitis (spelling is wrong) on my feet from standing long time making Christmas Cookies in my flat slippers. Once I got over that I had to change what I wore. For a long time I couldn't walk barefoot. Now I can manage it for short times.

I got a couple pairs of crock-like shoes. Nice thick rubber and nice arch support. I always wear shoes like that in the house while I am working around. I wear thick socks with them. I have a mat in front of the kitchen sink.

When I go shopping for a long time, I come home and have an aching back for a day. All those hard floors.

I've seen your tile. The ones I saw had some bird tracks on spots from being left outside to dry. Not stamped, real bird tracks. I have smooth porcelain ones, but just as hard.

My sister-in-law refused to put tile in her house because of how hard it is on joints. She did wood also. I think I wouldn't do tile like this again.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:18 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I wear Keen flip flops now. I wear flip flops all year in my house.

Tile floors will kill your feet. And knees. And hips.

I also feel it sharply in my lower back, which worries me most of all. Using ice packs 4x now.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:23 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
With my bad knee I can walk all day long on wood floors or well padded carpet, but put me on cement, or tile, and I’m in agony.

It’s no way to live. If your husband doesn’t want to change out the floors, I’d wait until he’s back in CA and do it anyway. He’ll live with the change when he gets back.

Honestly, if he’s like my husband, it’s not the change itself, it’s the hassle of the change. Too often, I would overwhelm my husband with choices. We learned some things he cared deeply about, some things didn’t matter. Just like me. And when I cared I chose. When he cared he chose. And when I was conflicted, instead of tossing all the choices, I’d pick my best three, and give him final choice.

I know it sounds terrible, but your pain is a dealbreaker.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:32 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Are you *certain* that the tile is what's giving you problems? Have you talked with a doctor about this?
Absolutely certain.

I have arthritic knees, have had for some years. But the pain is in my feet, ankles, knees, hips and lower back. This is nothing I've ever experienced before. If it gets much worse...well, there are orthopedic urgent care clinics here.

Quote:
I mean, just sayin' - it would suck to take the tile out, and find out that does not help.
What about some sort of thick rugs?

It seems like that would work until you look at the tiles and the unevenness of each tile. Saltillo is handmade, so there's a lot of variation in height. Inch-wide grout lines between the tiles is common.

This tile is a disaster for people in middle age and older. One trip-and-fall can mess you up pretty badly. I kind of knew this going in but disregarded it. Dumb move.

Quote:
...but you know that anyway.

He's coming around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement