U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 11:22 PM

7,653 posts, read 4,699,473 times

Advertisements

I'm still in Phoenix at the new house.

It has Saltillo tile (Mexican pavers) throughout the "public" areas of the home. It is proving to be a problem for my feet. I am used to going barefoot at home in CA but there we have either carpet or hardwood flooring. Here, the tile is absolutely unyielding. Worse, Saltillo tiles tend to be uneven, so along with foot and ankle pain I'm getting pain in my arthritic knees, too.

The bedrooms and offices of the house and the casita have either hardwood or cork floors. No problems there. (I had never even seen a cork floor before this, didn't even know they existed.)

From reading some of the house forums, it seems this is a common problem with tile. Some suggest gel mats in the kitchen in the food prep areas. Other say, just wear flip flops inside the house. My Teva sandals don't seem to cushion quite enough but they're better than nothing.

What's your super comfortable go-to footwear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 04:14 AM

3,996 posts, read 3,219,096 times
I have tile thruout my house. I dont have any problem walking on it, but I do have runner rugs down so my puppy with furry feet can walk comfortably without slipping and sliding. I walk on them too, and really like them.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:36 AM

I suppose our cat will ultimately appreciate runners. At home her daily zooming ritual starts in the carpeted living room, where she can get traction, then she makes a sharp left turn into the kitchen (hardwood) and straight on through the family room (hardwood) and uses the momentum to leap up on the sofa.

Sometimes she spins out on the left turn. Needs better tires. But she has pretty good speed for an old cat of indeterminate age.

The thing about Saltillo is it's not just ordinary flat machine-made tile. People who love it really like the uneven surface. People who hate it swear at it. Each Saltillo tile is hand made from clay and so the surface is not completely flat the way ceramic tiles, marble, and other machine manufactured tiles are. In addition, the larger grout lines make the flooring more uneven. This creates a more rustic look but makes it difficult for people who have trouble walking, or for wheelchairs.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:50 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,698,520 times
Flip flops by Vionic are my best friend. I wear them all year round instead of slippers etc.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Flip flops by Vionic are my best friend. I wear them all year round instead of slippers etc.
Yowza! There's a Dillard's about 10 miles away. They carry Vionic. I'll check it out this morning.

Thank you so much!

Old 11-28-2018, 06:58 AM

5,783 posts, read 4,833,476 times
My brother's whole house, except for the bedrooms is saltillo tiles. They are a pain, they're cold on the feet in the winter, actually MAKE his whole house cold in the winter because they absorb the heat out of the air (that's one reason they like them in hot climates. They also can be a bit of a tripping hazard for folks with a shuffle-y gait, or a walker. And it seems like they are harder to keep clean, the big grout lines grab the dirt if sweeping, and the unflat surfaces make vacuuming very uneven. They like them because they are durable for his big dogs and their scratchy nails.

Area rugs would make them easier and warmer, but even area rugs can be a tripping hazard, and a rug over saltillos is sort of lumpy.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:18 AM

11,935 posts, read 20,386,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm still in Phoenix at the new house.

It has Saltillo tile (Mexican pavers) throughout the "public" areas of the home. It is proving to be a problem for my feet. I am used to going barefoot at home in CA but there we have either carpet or hardwood flooring. Here, the tile is absolutely unyielding. Worse, Saltillo tiles tend to be uneven, so along with foot and ankle pain I'm getting pain in my arthritic knees, too.

The bedrooms and offices of the house and the casita have either hardwood or cork floors. No problems there. (I had never even seen a cork floor before this, didn't even know they existed.)

From reading some of the house forums, it seems this is a common problem with tile. Some suggest gel mats in the kitchen in the food prep areas. Other say, just wear flip flops inside the house. My Teva sandals don't seem to cushion quite enough but they're better than nothing.

What's your super comfortable go-to footwear?
Haflingers slippers. I love the blue wool clogs. Firm footbed, lots of support.

Sorry about the floor. I love the look of original 50’s houses with that gorgeous terrazzo floor, but with my knees and ankle and Hubs back, ungiving floors are out.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:50 AM

1,137 posts, read 569,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
My brother's whole house, except for the bedrooms is saltillo tiles. They are a pain, they're cold on the feet in the winter, actually MAKE his whole house cold in the winter because they absorb the heat out of the air (that's one reason they like them in hot climates. They also can be a bit of a tripping hazard for folks with a shuffle-y gait, or a walker. And it seems like they are harder to keep clean, the big grout lines grab the dirt if sweeping, and the unflat surfaces make vacuuming very uneven. They like them because they are durable for his big dogs and their scratchy nails.

Area rugs would make them easier and warmer, but even area rugs can be a tripping hazard, and a rug over saltillos is sort of lumpy.
Wow! Thought it was just me. The first time I was working a contract in Tucson, I rented a house which also had all Saltillo tile throughout. That house was definitely a lot colder in winter than our carpeted house in Maine was- even with snow on the ground!
That's why I take comments on living in cold country with a grain of Saltillo.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:58 AM

2,202 posts, read 1,345,129 times
Any slippers with a foam rubber cushioned innersole. Mats in the kitchen if you spend a lot of time there. Area rugs. Maybe one of the more plush area rugs with a foam mat under it will even out the lumps from the tile underneath.

When we move to a different part of the country (different climate) there are always things we didn't know to think about.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Any slippers with a foam rubber cushioned innersole. Mats in the kitchen if you spend a lot of time there. Area rugs. Maybe one of the more plush area rugs with a foam mat under it will even out the lumps from the tile underneath.

When we move to a different part of the country (different climate) there are always things we didn't know to think about.
Worse, there are things we knew about that we convinced ourselves wouldn't matter.

I knew the tiles might be an issue but said, "Maybe it won't be that bad." Big smack upside the head for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement