Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 01:03 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meekawal View Post
In my opinion, official retirement is when you are no longer working. If you decide to work as a hobby, etc. after collecting social security, any social security or medicare payments you pay out from your salary will not count towards your retirement amount from SS. It all goes into a "general" fund. Whatever the amount of SS you get when you begin collecting is what you get for a lifetime.
This seems to infer that "retiring" means you are collecting Social Security. I retired from my career after 37 years and collect a pension, so I consider myself retired and so does the public transportation agency for whom I worked. I can't collect Social Security for another six years, however, so the money I make working here and there part-time will go toward my Social Security.

I worked four days this month and am scheduled to work three in December. Have a few days scheduled in January, too. Part-time work brings in an additional $500 or so a month and barely impedes on my time, so yes, I still say I am retired. The real job meant ten-hour days and checking and responding to email seven days a week, so this sure as heck feels like retirement to me.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
If someone is working for reasons other than financial need and calls himself or herself retired, to me that is retired.
There ya go.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:17 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,773,627 times
Semantics. Some people will claim that if you lift a finger that is not retirement. Others will say retirement is doing whatever you want and enjoy, even if that ends up getting you compensated. Still others will say that retirement is when you are free from commitments, so if you have a regular volunteering gig or babysitting grandkids, that's not retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 03:42 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,178,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf1958 View Post
1 and 3 NOT retired, 2 retired. If you're working for pay, you're not retired. Casually working or part time, or whatever, if you're getting paid you're not retired.
I'd call that "semi-retired".

Old 11-28-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
That's what I call myself!

Old 11-28-2018, 05:27 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specific Point View Post
I read in the linked article that the average age of retirement is 63. I find that interesting but I could not find out a true definition of being retired. How do they get the statistic of 63?

https://smartasset.com/retirement/av...in-every-state

https://dqydj.com/average-retirement...united-states/

Are these friends of mine officially retired:

1) Left a full-time High School teaching job last year but now work as a part-time substitute and tutor and average 25 hours a week working for pay.

2) Left full-time work but now volunteer up to 40 hours a week for the United Way at no pay.

3) Left corporate America but work as a consultant and work 60 hours a week some months and other months not at all.

Are any of my friends above officially retired for statistical purposes?
I think "retired" is a subjective term that is in the eye of the beholder. I know of some people who had their own businesses, and gradually just worked less, and traveled and golfed more.
They never called themselves "retired".

Old 11-28-2018, 07:46 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Retirement is what you make it. I worked part-time for the first seven years of retirement and enjoyed it more than the last couple years of my career. I did it for a variety of reasons but would have been fine not to. Being able to choose is the nicest part of retirement in some ways.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:54 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,894,516 times
This is simple.

You're retired if you no longer have to work for pay.

You're not retired if you have to work for pay.

You are semi-retired for anything in between.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:32 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
OP you're 'officially' retired when you start drawing SS full time at 65 and sign up for Medicare. You can still work earning up to $15,000 without effecting your SS status. Over that you're then called a part time worker or semi-retired that is drawing SS, then you're SS goes down a certain dollar amount that you earned.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:51 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
See, to me "semi-retired" is still doing the job you've been doing, but scaling it back. You haven't yet officially retired and come back; you're just easing into retirement by going part- versus full-time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement