U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 11:10 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,217,684 times

Advertisements

How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free by Ernie J. Zelinksi. I'm just starting to read this one. Inspirational book about making the most of your retirement - leisure activities, creative pursuits, maintaining physical-mental well-being.

Work Less, Live More by Bob Clyatt. To tell the truth, I haven't started reading this one, but this talks about how to go about retirement financially.

Read the two books, and I think you have a lot of the bases covered regarding what we worry most about retirement -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 12:28 PM

55 posts, read 192,977 times
Here are some of my favorite books about retirement (all from the perspective of where to live):
- "Where to Retire" - John Howells
- "America's Best Places to Retire" - Elizabeth Armstrong

You can buy these books at Amazon or even better, your local bookstore.

Of course I have to recommend my own eBook- "Baby Boomers Guide to Selecting a Retirement Community: 16 Factors You Need to Consider". It's free.

Two other books are not quite up to the first 3 in my opinion, but still worthwhile:
- "Retirement Places Rated" - David Savageau
- "Cities Ranked & Rated" - Bert Sperling

Old 04-08-2008, 12:52 PM

thanks - will look into those recommendations

Old 04-08-2008, 02:12 PM

34,690 posts, read 33,695,295 times
Most of the retirement mindset books and retirement books involving relocation, (not talking about retirement books about finances), are geared to the upper class or upper middle class white collar retiree. They assume likes and dislikes both on services and activities based on a stereotypical well-to-do person's perspective. I can only assume the person that writes the books is either one himself/herself and has no clue at all about middle America hobbies, activities, habits or the person writing the book thinks that the people who will potentially buy the book are upper/upper middle class retirees so they are writing for a specific audience without being upfront about it.

The retirement magazines are totally in the tank for the same group of people but their motivation is more transparent when you look at their advertisers.

Blue collar workers and low level white collar workers retire, too, but the retirement industry ignores them. I'm sure you have read numerous articles about how it's hard for Joe Executive to adjust to not going to the office or Mary Executive Wife to meet people in her new town. You may have read about tough decisions regarding the location of their second home and how they all want to live near a university so they can go to the symphony. You may have also read about how important it is to volunteer but you may or may not have noticed that the purpose of the volunteering endeavors is to make the retiree feel good about themselves now that they have no job to go to.

Raise your hand if you ever read at least 3 retirement books or magazine articles that tout a retirement location because the town has a lot of baseball diamonds, bowling alleys or places to hunt/fish. Now raise your hand if you've read 3 retirement books or magazine articles that tout a retirement location for its golf courses and marinas.

Now tell me the last time you read a retirement article about the state of mind of a plumber, a car mechanic, a cashier, a policeman or a waitress when they face retirement. I'm sure they have some fears and some things to look forward to, too, but you'd never know it from the retirement industry.

When I retired, I had a hard time finding books about nerd retirees. You know those people. They were in the audio-visual club or had entries in the science fair in high school. Their hobbies were stamp collecting, rock hounding or model trains. When they got older, they liked software. They went into research or technical jobs. They got old, too, but do retirement books tout locations based on their activities and hobbies?

I'm betting some people have read the books and magazine articles and were afraid to retire because the people in the articles in no way resembled them - who they are and what they like to do - and wondered if they would ever be happy in retirement.

Last edited by LauraC; 04-08-2008 at 02:22 PM..

Old 04-08-2008, 02:58 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,052,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm betting some people have read the books and magazine articles and were afraid to retire because the people in the articles in no way resembled them - who they are and what they like to do - and wondered if they would ever be happy in retirement.
Another home run, Laura. This is soooo true. Almost all of these sites and books completely miss what I would like. Golf, tennis, country club - yuck, not for me.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:23 PM

738 posts, read 644,173 times
Why would I need to read a book on retirement? I've got the perfect place on the water, sporting clays and bird hunting close by, some of the best fishing in the World, some of the best sailing waters around, golf courses galore and a top medical school nearby. It's a smaller town where people still wave as you drive by. We built a 5 bedroom home with a professional kitchen, french doors to open to the breezes coming off of the water and lots of porches. Add an Alerion 33 sailboat and a Chris Craft Corsair 25 and we're set. We plan to host BBQ's and Low Country Boils, dinner parties and cocktail cruises, spend January and February in the Caribbean or Mexico. I don't know of a book out there that could help me find a better retirement than that!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:16 PM

There's a lot more to retirement than finding a place to play.

The books I'm reading are really about early retirement (ER) - this group of people need a purpose in life - things to do that keep them productive. Something other than golfing, sailing, eating, watching TV.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:58 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,989,108 times
LauraC makes an excellent point about how retirement books are written. They are NOT written for the average person.

One of the major requirements that my wife and I have in choosing a retirement location (which we've chosen, but are not ready to go yet) is that it must be within an hour's drive of a minor league baseball stadium. I love baseball, but the cost of a major league game is a bit much. For $9-$10 at a minor league stadium, I can get the best seat in the house, reasonably priced food, free parking and baseball!!

If anyone ever becomes aware of a book written for the average guy, please post the title because that's one I'd love to read. Thanks.

Charley

Old 04-09-2008, 04:10 PM

738 posts, read 644,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
There's a lot more to retirement than finding a place to play.
What?? I can only assume you are kidding with me! And to think I spent all of this time looking for a great place to play. I am retiring at age 58 so I can enjoy playing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
The books I'm reading are really about early retirement (ER) - this group of people need a purpose in life - things to do that keep them productive. Something other than golfing, sailing, eating, watching TV.
Nah, I don't really watch much TV. I, speaking only for myself of course, have had a purpose in life for 50 years; be a good son, husband, father, friend, businessman, etc. Those things, the most important things, won't change. So, what are those books suggesting we all do in our retirement years?

Old 04-09-2008, 04:48 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,580,338 times
Good post Laura C -- I am constantly nonplussed when the 'retirement towns' are so expensive - my home of Texas is a bargain compared to these places. I know on some more isolated and lesser lakes you can easily find something for $60-$80,000. That would probably be less on many lakes in more Southern states. Also small towns are very cheap around here..

Sure we have the palaces here in Dallas, but there are less expensive homes and apartments very near SMU, downtown, etc -- you just have to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or