U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 05:42 PM

21,887 posts, read 16,707,141 times

Advertisements

And to the person who wished me a Merry CHRISTmas in a private message pertaining to this thread but has not posted on this thread and has chosen not to receive private messages, Merry CHRISTmas to you and your family as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 06:20 PM

8,204 posts, read 11,921,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Absolutely! Dying is just moving on toward our real home (which is not this world).

I'm not anxious to die, but, given the downward spiral of this world, have grown increasingly less enamored with what this world has to offer to a true believer.
I'm sure that's what many religious zealot terrorists believe as well.

Ain't religion wonderful!

Last edited by MadManofBethesda; 11-29-2018 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: Especially "true" believers.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:28 PM

8,204 posts, read 11,921,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
And to the person who wished me a Merry CHRISTmas in a private message pertaining to this thread but has not posted on this thread and has chosen not to receive private messages, Merry CHRISTmas to you and your family as well.

And a VeRy MeRrY FeStiVaS to you as well!

(See, I can partially capitalize words as well.)

Old 11-29-2018, 07:42 PM

2,213 posts, read 935,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Have you ever gotten to the point where you really don't care if you live or die?

Living is hard, dying isn't all that hard from what I've seen. I know, some diseases are painful but, say, if you are diagnosed with extensive heart disease, did you ever get to the point where you were resigned to it?

Please don't try to dissect this post. I'm just asking.
I have an extensive disease and I can tell you that I refuse to resign myself to allowing this to steal my joy and zest for life. Is this disease going to kill me? Very, very likely it will. But Iím not going down without a fight!

Old 11-29-2018, 09:05 PM

23,785 posts, read 8,287,252 times
I've had and still do have a good life at 80 except for the arthritis and messy arthritic knee...I keep putting off knee replacement as hip replacement messed me up,,,,so I fear more of a mess. Maybe I need to TRY and do the knee but maybe not,,,,I go back and forth with my thougths...

A big dilemma or keep hobbling around as I do, worse by night time with body pain.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:34 PM

13,252 posts, read 6,345,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I have an extensive disease and I can tell you that I refuse to resign myself to allowing this to steal my joy and zest for life. Is this disease going to kill me? Very, very likely it will. But I’m not going down without a fight!
Same here. My mother was diagnosed with lung cancer, it was very painful as she told friends and not us kids, but she was fighting every day for two years before she succumbed to it. A cancer that patient usually died within 6 months, but she lasted 2 years. This was more than 20 years ago. Now things have improved tremendously.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:05 PM

215 posts, read 131,894 times
If I had to choose between quality of life and quantity, quality would always win. Always.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:27 PM

25,057 posts, read 23,942,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I'm sure that's what many religious zealot terrorists believe as well.

Ain't religion wonderful!
Oh, step off.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:36 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,472,156 times
No, not yet but I can easily see it coming to that point at some time in the future. I don't see life as something that should be preserved at all costs or find anything sacred about it. I think people should be free to decide what they want to do with their life. If someone is so miserable that they feel they'd be better off dead, so be it. I can see a lot of situations where that might happen. I just hope it doesn't happen to me but you never know.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:01 AM

9,170 posts, read 3,012,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post

If we are talking about something like diabetes which requires dietary changes, and you simply don't want to do it... then I might wonder what else is going on.
I've known several people whose eating and living habits resulted in them developing type II diabetes. They knew what was wrong and what they needed to change, to survive. But they refused to do it and kept eating and drinking things that led to their deaths. I'm not so fond of my own bad habits, that I value them over having a longer and healthier life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement