U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 01:33 PM

3,442 posts, read 1,532,968 times

Advertisements

Yes, I'm ready anytime to go. Best years are behind me and realistically, nothing is going to improve, just degrade, so....I got the depression gene, not the "happiness" gene, LOL. Can't keep up with today's technology either, so everything has gotten harder, not easier. I have that "don't belong" feeling. Had a "good" life, so satisfied with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 02:12 PM

13,229 posts, read 6,331,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
I "drag(ged) politics into this thread" because politics is all around us and profoundly effects our lives.

Even if you choose to bury your head in the sand and personally ignore the political noise, you are still affected by taxes, infrastructure, schools, healthcare, employment, the economy, social issues, and all the other things politicians seek to manipulate and control.

If you have figured out a way to live life without experiencing the influences of local, regional, national, and global politics, do tell.
You must be hiding under a tree or stick your head in a sand. Since when is politics not surrounding us. If you donít want to experience politics, you can move to an island in the middle of nowhere. Plus I think itís a disgenious way to insert politics into this thread. Honestly, I say shame on you.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:19 PM

5,195 posts, read 670,458 times
As I've quipped many times to friends and acquaintances,"Longevity runs in the family--but it ain't pretty."

Right now--at 67-- I'm just trying to "pack it all in" so I try not to dwell too much on the future. I decided to relocate to FL from CT after I retired at the end of July. People would ask me, "Are you going to work part time after you retire?" My response is always, "Hell, I don't know what I'll be doing in the next 5 minutes let alone the next year!"

All I know is that--no matter how you look at it--I don't have a lot of time left. Even if I live until 99 like my grandmother, my quality of life will be diminished--genetics is not on my side on this one. In my formative years I was a Roman Catholic so we were taught that death is not something to be feared. I know when the handwriting on the wall I will be scared out of my mind--much like my dad was--but once I accept the reality of death I have faith that whatever happens next will be OK. I would much rather have a "short happy" life than spend my latter years hooked up to tubes and monitors to extend it. Also, I'd much rather spend my money on a cruise than a hospital bed or lining the pockets of big pharma!

Old 12-02-2018, 02:39 PM

23,775 posts, read 8,259,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, I'm ready anytime to go. Best years are behind me and realistically, nothing is going to improve, just degrade, so....I got the depression gene, not the "happiness" gene, LOL. Can't keep up with today's technology either, so everything has gotten harder, not easier. I have that "don't belong" feeling. Had a "good" life, so satisfied with that.
What is technology, I'm probably the only one on C-D who never bought a cell phone and how did I make it to 80? That's one thing I never tried to keep up with. My radio works very good, got rid of cable, saving close to $100 and don't miss the nonsense of it all and especially this time of our life politics.

I'm ready but still want to continue and waiting for that "pill" to be legal to obtain in my state or find that friend doctor to help me go out with dignity, not drugged etc...

Just thinkin more about this subject, the major joys and experiences are behind me too, but I still enjoy the delight of good food, memories of my life, and my dreams which often include a lot of my life experiences, and talking and seeing my grandkids, something tells me when I'm reduced to ashes I won't experience these pleasures.

Better have that bowl of spaghetti soon, it was going to be my last supper.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-02-2018 at 03:41 PM..

Old 12-02-2018, 03:19 PM

5,783 posts, read 4,836,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Have you ever gotten to the point where you really don't care if you live or die?

Living is hard, dying isn't all that hard from what I've seen. I know, some diseases are painful but, say, if you are diagnosed with extensive heart disease, did you ever get to the point where you were resigned to it?

Please don't try to dissect this post. I'm just asking.
No, never. I've never, ever had that feeling. To me, living is not hard, at least not yet. I love life. I love MY life. That's not to say I've never had things hard, or been in extreme pain. I don't expect life to be pain-free. I manage it. I can't bear to think of a time when I won't be able to hear the birds or see the sun rise through the morning mist. If that's all I have, if that's all I can do at some point, it will be enough for me. I love this world and want to experience the glorious, and the mundane, being present and grateful for the experience.

I have sat at the bedside of my mom and my MIL as they passed, both in that state whether they preferred to go than to stay, unable to experience anything beyond the struggle for their next breath. They were debilitated to the point that they had nothing good in their future. I was there to hold them as they left this world.

I have no intention to leave this world until I am can no longer be wheeled out to enjoy nature in her glory. I hope that will not be for another 20+ years (I'm 59.8). When there will be no more days of fabulous warm breezes, or chilly, starry nights and milky ways, then I'll go out on my own terms.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:28 PM

354 posts, read 1,019,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
My sister had Hospice for about 3 weeks or so. Don't really remember. It was a hard time. I knew she wasn't going to get any nourishment, but I believe she did. It was a tough time for me. Her daughter wanted to stay as un-involved in it as possible so had no one to talk to about it. But thinking about my sister now, she was in really bad shape and maybe the medical people knew death wasn't far off so they did a different program for her. She was very sick and it was killing me every time I went to see her. She refused to stay in bed, wanted to be on the floor so they put the heavy plastic mats all over. She rolled all over the place. She'd poop the diaper and it would come up over the waistband of her pants.

It truly was a relief when she passed away.
Oh, that is heartbreaking and must have been agony for you. No one should have to endure that kind of suffering.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:29 PM

32 posts, read 14,060 times
As they say "Get busy living or Get busy Dying"........Your choice.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:44 PM

23,775 posts, read 8,259,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
No, never. I've never, ever had that feeling. To me, living is not hard, at least not yet. I love life. I love MY life. That's not to say I've never had things hard, or been in extreme pain. I don't expect life to be pain-free. I manage it. I can't bear to think of a time when I won't be able to hear the birds or see the sun rise through the morning mist. If that's all I have, if that's all I can do at some point, it will be enough for me. I love this world and want to experience the glorious, and the mundane, being present and grateful for the experience.

I have sat at the bedside of my mom and my MIL as they passed, both in that state whether they preferred to go than to stay, unable to experience anything beyond the struggle for their next breath. They were debilitated to the point that they had nothing good in their future. I was there to hold them as they left this world.

I have no intention to leave this world until I am can no longer be wheeled out to enjoy nature in her glory. I hope that will not be for another 20+ years (I'm 59.8). When there will be no more days of fabulous warm breezes, or chilly, starry nights and milky ways, then I'll go out on my own terms.
I never gave this thought until the last couple yrs and now I'm 80...thoughts change with aging. I was still going to the gym into my mid 60's....

Old 12-02-2018, 03:46 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyrebel View Post
As they say "Get busy living or Get busy Dying"........Your choice.

That is not always true.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:57 PM

11,133 posts, read 8,540,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanon View Post
Oh, that is heartbreaking and must have been agony for you. No one should have to endure that kind of suffering.
What suffering? She was receiving palliative care via hospice. Her wishes were being met. She died in a relatively short period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement