U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 06:27 AM

3,694 posts, read 1,870,935 times

Advertisements

Have you ever gotten to the point where you really don't care if you live or die?

Living is hard, dying isn't all that hard from what I've seen. I know, some diseases are painful but, say, if you are diagnosed with extensive heart disease, did you ever get to the point where you were resigned to it?

Please don't try to dissect this post. I'm just asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 06:41 AM

786 posts, read 894,545 times
Nope!

Old 11-29-2018, 07:02 AM

21,857 posts, read 16,696,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Have you ever gotten to the point where you really don't care if you live or die?

Living is hard, dying isn't all that hard from what I've seen. I know, some diseases are painful but, say, if you are diagnosed with extensive heart disease, did you ever get to the point where you were resigned to it?

I've never enjoyed the prospect of living to extreme old age and perhaps becoming physically and/or mentally impaired. I'd rather die at a younger age than go through that. And so I decided years ago that if I should ever be diagnosed with cancer or heart disease I would just let it take its course. And as a believer in Jesus Christ I look forward to going home to heaven. It is much better to be absent from the body and at home with the Lord.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:12 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,260,355 times
Well, I guess the questions I have are:

1. Can whatever was diagnosed be fixed?

2. Is it fear of the "fix" that causes the preference for resignation?

3. Do you absolutely know that whatever is wrong will kill you as opposed to leaving you alive and suffering?

For instance, if we are talking about heart disease and it can be cured through surgery.... well, the surgery is very frightening to think about. However, the reality is that our minds blow it way out of proportion and it isn't difficult at all... especially with the minimally invasive techniques. But, even if you go through a full sternotomy, it is only about 6 weeks of side effects. There is pain for about 3 days which is completely taken care of by medication, and then on the fourth day there is no longer any pain. There is physical weakness, but the hospital has you out of bed on the first day after surgery walking around the unit and sitting in chairs, and everyone is going to tell you how wonderful you look and you will be amazed at how good you feel.

If we are talking about something like pancreatic cancer, and the oncologist is telling you that it is pretty advanced, and may even have spread, and through harsh treatments your life can be extended but not preserved, and you will be sick the entire time.... then I might think long and hard about preserving my life.

If we are talking about something like diabetes which requires dietary changes, and you simply don't want to do it... then I might wonder what else is going on.

There are lots of forums that deal with specific situations and you might find people with whom you feel you can be more open to discuss your thoughts.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:48 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,902,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post

You've posted something similar in the past, OP. Have you considered counseling?
I'm concerned for you...

Old 11-29-2018, 09:28 AM

8,764 posts, read 10,845,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I've never enjoyed the prospect of living to extreme old age and perhaps becoming physically and/or mentally impaired. I'd rather die at a younger age than go through that. And so I decided years ago that if I should ever be diagnosed with cancer or heart disease I would just let it take its course. And as a believer in Jesus Christ I look forward to going home to heaven. It is much better to be absent from the body and at home with the Lord.
Absolutely! - Dying is just moving on toward our real home (which is not this world).

I'm not anxious to die, but, given the downward spiral of this world, have grown increasingly less enamored with what this world has to offer to a true believer.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:30 AM

13,229 posts, read 6,335,450 times
Living wins out every time in my household.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:58 AM

7,185 posts, read 11,231,296 times
I've always said that if I were to be diagnosed with some disease that will end me, then I don't want to stay alive and spend our assets on prolonging death. I'd rather go quickly and not tax my family's ability to provide for themselves.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:16 AM

10,522 posts, read 8,765,146 times
I've watched and held an old person (late 90s) die in agony, fighting to the very end. It was a most painful experience for me.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:26 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,172,300 times
Yes, that is why under my screen name you will see "Waiting for God". I have several health issues, also financial issues and honestly nothing good to look forward to. I can foresee several NOT GOOD things in the future that I would rather not be around to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement