U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 09:40 AM

830 posts, read 295,336 times

Advertisements

My brother in law is on disability soc security. I think that's what it's called. He applied some years ago and was getting $770 a month. He tells me that they reduced it to $550 because he moved from Florida to Brooklyn, and then they reduced it more because he cannot prove he is paying rent. I find that difficult to believe. But I am not sure. He is asking for $$, and we've been having problems with him. His mother died, she used to take care of him. I feel bad that he is so ill (mentally), but we can't keep giving him money if I don't understand the situation.
Does anybody know if soc. sec. disability can reduce payments because they claim you're not paying rent? That's what he's telling us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 09:46 AM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
The more simple question is why can't he prove he is or is not paying rent?

Living arrangements matter to SSI: https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-living-ussi.htm

Old 11-29-2018, 09:55 AM

I just spoke to my BIL and he now says he was getting SSI and SSDI. He says the SSI was reduced. It's just more than I can handle because I don't understand how it works.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:58 AM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I just spoke to my BIL and he now says he was getting SSI and SSDI. He says the SSI was reduced. It's just more than I can handle because I don't understand how it works.
Don't give him anymore money until you fully understand what's going on and why he can't prove the rent stuff. Have him show you the explanation letters. Don't be ruled by guilt.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:59 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,877,402 times
Quote:
Call the SS office in your area and see if they can help answer some questions...

Old 11-29-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The more simple question is why can't he prove he is or is not paying rent?

Living arrangements matter to SSI: https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-living-ussi.htm
Thank you, that was very helpful! I am also going to TRY and speak to a counselor from CUCS in NYC, maybe they can give me some advice or info as to how to handle this situation. It's sad, not good. Thanks.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:29 PM

4,354 posts, read 3,689,532 times
The process is very confusing and I think payments may vary by state. He may not and probably does not understand what is going on due to his condition.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:36 AM

4,740 posts, read 4,363,341 times
Quote:
My brother in law is on disability soc security. I think that's what it's called. He applied some years ago and was getting $770 a month. He tells me that they reduced it to $550 because he moved from Florida to Brooklyn, and then they reduced it more because he cannot prove he is paying rent. I find that difficult to believe. But I am not sure. He is asking for $$, and we've been having problems with him. His mother died, she used to take care of him. I feel bad that he is so ill (mentally), but we can't keep giving him money if I don't understand the situation.
Does anybody know if soc. sec. disability can reduce payments because they claim you're not paying rent? That's what he's telling us.
The government administers two different disability programs. One is called SSDI and that program is for disabled workers. It functions more or less the same way Social Security does. The amount you get each month depends upon how many quarters you worked and contributed to payroll taxes while you were still healthy. Since SSDI is for disabled WORKERS, it is treated as money you have earned over the course of your career, and it will not be garnished the way SSI can be.

On the other hand, the SSI program is for those who never really were able to work - maybe they were born with a serious birth defect or maybe in their teens they developed schizophrenia or some other mental illness which prevented them from joining the workforce. Bottom line, the government considers SSI to be the same as welfare. If your BIL was getting $770/month, he is probably on SSI. Trying to figure out SSI is often a nightmare for an individual with a mental disability. For example, if your BIL is on SSI and someone starts giving him a certain amount of money every month, he is required to report this and his check will be docked accordingly. The same would be true if the folks at SSI believe that someone is giving him free rent.

I have worked with schizophrenics, and their situation is often heartbreaking. They lose important paperwork because their voices keep them confused and distracted. Street people will pretend to be their friends and then rip them off for every penny they have. Schizophrenics are often terrified of those in authority (often for good reason), and as a result, they avoid going to appointments and they don't ask questions.

My suggestion would be for you to call Social Security and make an appointment for the two of you so you can know just what your BIL's situation is. It sounds like he is incapable of taking care of his own finances. I don't know if you have the energy or time, but you might consider becoming your BIL's representative payee. You would then be in charge of his SSI check and you could use that money to make sure his rent is paid (and get receipts). Check with your local HUD office and/or Social Services and check to see if you get him on the list for a room or an apartment in a housing unit set aside for the elderly and the disabled.

And kudos to you for being concerned for your relative who sounds like he has all the cards stacked against him. Best of luck to you both.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:50 PM

13,877 posts, read 25,302,878 times
I have a relative who used to live in NYC. He moved to Las Vegas for the weather and COL. NYC is just too expensive for people trying to live on disability. Unless your BIL has some overpowering need to live there, he will probably be most helped by moving.

He needs to go to the welfare office and see his Social Worker and make sure he is getting what he is supposed to get. The whole rent issue is sketchy and you probably shouldn't be giving him money till he explains it to you too. He is not going to starve. Being on SNAP gives you access to all the food banks and there is no reason he can't use several of them.

I can give you an example of finances for here(Las Vegas). It's a little higher in NYC but not a lot! My cousin gets @1K per month total and that includes SS and a tiny pension. Plus @$40 per month in SNAP. His rent is $400 all bills paid. He has GREAT insurance and his medical is free. He has Medicare and Medicaid. Medicaid pays his Medicare premium. His apartment is nice and very new. It is subsidized housing and in NYC and the waiting lists are years long. Considering how little money he has, he does quite well. He moved here simply because there was no way he could stretch his finances enough to continue in NYC.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:22 PM

605 posts, read 188,327 times
Quote:
you need to get informed regarding his financial situation and support him. There is much to know.
If he isn't in a low income apartment complex, he needs to be. Start there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or