U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2018, 04:13 PM
 
Location: The Outer Limits
1,463 posts, read 1,820,131 times
Reputation: 2411

Advertisements

Moved from MA (life long res.) to FL After retirement, farmed 5 acres, from Talapia to Pineapples, and everything in between, everyone had 5+ acres, we more or less kept to ourselves with the exception of one neighbor who on occasion gave me a hand, his son mowed grass for me at an affordable rate. We had a good friendly relationship until I had to let the kid go, after that the neighbor for the most part ignored us.
I feel everyone is warm and cuddly until...
Since then we relocated, we own a 65A cove/mountainside, closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away, great people, he claims he would do anything for us.
When we moved to NC the moving guys were from FL and refused to navigate our steep 1/2 mile driveway, my neighbor along with a couple of his buds hauled my belongings up to our home in his Ranger pickup.
I stop in to say hello a couple times a month, we chat for awhile then up I go. He's a good neighbor, if it wasn't for him I wouldn't be very good behind my tractor.
We're on a private rd with maybe 8 homesteads, his Great Granddaddy settled our area, his people are here 6 generations, lots of history and good stories, the Rd is named after GGD. These folks are the "Salt of The Earth", unlike FL, mostly transplants in a hurry, going nowhere.
As an outsider, thankfully they have accepted us.

Last edited by bgrasser; 12-01-2018 at 04:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2018, 06:39 PM
 
Location: S.W. Florida
2,219 posts, read 937,228 times
Reputation: 6253
I moved from a small farming community in Ohio to a small town in Florida. The people here seem friendly enough, except for the j**k across the street who refuses to speak to me cause heís mad I bought his friends house. OK.
I think people are generally pretty nice in smaller towns, but the thing Iíve noticed here in Florida is there is a totally different vibe here during season. Which makes sense considering there are thousands of snowbirds that make this place their winter home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 10:26 PM
 
110 posts, read 43,632 times
Reputation: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Absolutely ! I lived in Chandler, AZ outside Phoenix for 15 years. No one on my street knew anyone else. Traffic, going anywhere, especially in the heat, was awful. And add to that the roads with wrong way drivers, shooters, red light runners, etc, made it dangerous. People got very crabby in summer.

Now I live in Prescott, AZ, everybody's home town. Most of us are retirees and we talk to each other, appreciate what we have and try to be good citizens. It's so much friendlier here and I am staying forever.
I agree! Most of the people in Prescott are very friendly and welcoming. And it IS just like Mayberry, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2018, 07:05 AM
 
221 posts, read 116,346 times
Reputation: 483
The adventurous spirit of leaving one of the most affordable counties in the nation for a different retirement environment presented an orientation for an enhanced higher standard of living. Undertaking of parental care brought to an end, years of research found relocation to the SW desert jubilant. Culture, spirit of citizenry augmented by those with education beyond high school added to my change in demeanor.

The gift of harmoniousness is embraced while social sphere has greatly enlarged. These positives were not found in central Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2018, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Center City
6,865 posts, read 7,813,769 times
Reputation: 9492
We left Houston at the end of 2010 for a place where we knew not a soul: Philadelphia. If anything, the rats race faster here. But what does it matter to us? Weíre retired. We can run at the pace we want. And yes, the people we met here are are nice, friendlier and more relaxed than those we knew from our working years back in Texas. Why? Because they are retired, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2018, 05:29 AM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,800 posts, read 4,853,880 times
Reputation: 6379
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
Moved from MA (life long res.) to FL After retirement, farmed 5 acres, from Talapia to Pineapples, and everything in between, everyone had 5+ acres, we more or less kept to ourselves with the exception of one neighbor who on occasion gave me a hand, his son mowed grass for me at an affordable rate. We had a good friendly relationship until I had to let the kid go, after that the neighbor for the most part ignored us.
I feel everyone is warm and cuddly until...
Since then we relocated, we own a 65A cove/mountainside, closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away, great people, he claims he would do anything for us.
When we moved to NC the moving guys were from FL and refused to navigate our steep 1/2 mile driveway, my neighbor along with a couple of his buds hauled my belongings up to our home in his Ranger pickup.
I stop in to say hello a couple times a month, we chat for awhile then up I go. He's a good neighbor, if it wasn't for him I wouldn't be very good behind my tractor.
We're on a private rd with maybe 8 homesteads, his Great Granddaddy settled our area, his people are here 6 generations, lots of history and good stories, the Rd is named after GGD. These folks are the "Salt of The Earth", unlike FL, mostly transplants in a hurry, going nowhere.
As an outsider, thankfully they have accepted us.


So you are a half back. Interesting. I have heard that there are a number of those moving from a northern climate to the south chiefly FL then moving halfway back to places like TN NC. It is usually for a combination of reasons. One is weather and the other is family is a bit closer. We considered the move and have not pulled the trigger and probably won't. We will rent where we want to winter over. Our income in MA versus our expenses we have here is the winner plus we have family not far north of us in Maine.

That story about the moving guys is tough to hear.

So your new neighbors have accepted you. That is either a good thing or a bad thing. Just don't go looking for the still. It would be unhealthy should you get close.



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2018, 07:10 AM
 
6,648 posts, read 1,372,282 times
Reputation: 16718
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Absolutely ! I lived in Chandler, AZ outside Phoenix for 15 years. No one on my street knew anyone else. Traffic, going anywhere, especially in the heat, was awful. And add to that the roads with wrong way drivers, shooters, red light runners, etc, made it dangerous. People got very crabby in summer.

Now I live in Prescott, AZ, everybody's home town. Most of us are retirees and we talk to each other, appreciate what we have and try to be good citizens. It's so much friendlier here and I am staying forever.
The story of the Granite Mountain Hotshots is absolutely heartbreaking, and so I have a question for you or for anyone living in Prescott:

What reaction, if any, was there in Prescott to the recent California wildfires that causes so many deaths and loss of homes?

I saw the movie, "Only the Brave", which told the story of 19 firefighters out of Prescott who lost their lives about five years ago, and I am wondering if that has had a greater than impact on the citizens of Prescott, and it reopened the emotional wounds the town suffered as a result?

Last edited by katharsis; 12-05-2018 at 08:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2018, 08:33 AM
 
Location: The Outer Limits
1,463 posts, read 1,820,131 times
Reputation: 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
So you are a half back. Interesting. I have heard that there are a number of those moving from a northern climate to the south chiefly FL then moving halfway back to places like TN NC. It is usually for a combination of reasons. One is weather and the other is family is a bit closer. We considered the move and have not pulled the trigger and probably won't. We will rent where we want to winter over. Our income in MA versus our expenses we have here is the winner plus we have family not far north of us in Maine.

That story about the moving guys is tough to hear.

So your new neighbors have accepted you. That is either a good thing or a bad thing. Just don't go looking for the still. It would be unhealthy should you get close.



Once the kids moved on we thought FL was the answer, started out as Snowbirds, first year, rented a condo in a marina setting, steps from the IR Lagoon, half way through the W season bought a penthouse unit, loved it, but after 5 years got tired of the back and forth, shipping a car, and all the hoopla that went with it, very stressful !

Bought our homestead in Fellsmere, kept us busy with lots of chores, life was good, so we thought...until
Summer came, one of my memories was putting up H Shutters in 90+ heat, an all day affair, that task was an annual job. We lasted 3 years, and started looking forward.

The next stop had to have a cooler temp, and much more land, 5 Acres didn’t cut it, if your going to buy land, buy as much as you can.

I complained to the moving coordinator at co office, told her the situation, told her neighbor's would move our belongings but it would be at a cost, at first she wanted receipts, I told her I'm paying cash, she agreed, I past the savings onto the guys...they were tickled.

I haven’t tried the Mountain Dew, Wife has, says it warms your innards.

Last edited by bgrasser; 12-05-2018 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2018, 09:51 AM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
3,685 posts, read 2,230,691 times
Reputation: 5240
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
Once the kids moved on we thought FL was the answer, started out as Snowbirds, first year, rented a condo in a marina setting, steps from the IR Lagoon, half way through the W season bought a penthouse unit, loved it, but after 5 years got tired of the back and forth, shipping a car, and all the hoopla that went with it, very stressful !

Bought our homestead in Fellsmere, kept us busy with lots of chores, life was good, so we thought...until
Summer came, one of my memories was putting up H Shutters in 90+ heat, an all day affair, that task was an annual job. We lasted 3 years, and started looking forward.

The next stop had to have a cooler temp, and much more land, 5 Acres didnít cut it, if your going to buy land, buy as much as you can.

I complained to the moving coordinator at co office, told her the situation, told her neighbor's would move our belongings but it would be at a cost, at first she wanted receipts, I told her I'm paying cash, she agreed, I past the savings onto the guys...they were tickled.

I havenít tried the Mountain Dew, Wife has, says it warms your innards.
Wow, I never thought that I would see anyone post about having lived in Fellsmere! I lived in Vero Beach for many years and I used to be out in Fellsmere a lot as we sold tires to the town. In fact, when we were in Vero last March for a visit, we went to dinner out there with our friends to Giuseppe's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2018, 10:36 AM
 
Location: The Outer Limits
1,463 posts, read 1,820,131 times
Reputation: 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Wow, I never thought that I would see anyone post about having lived in Fellsmere! I lived in Vero Beach for many years and I used to be out in Fellsmere a lot as we sold tires to the town. In fact, when we were in Vero last March for a visit, we went to dinner out there with our friends to Giuseppe's.
Glad to hear you made it out of that geography unscathed. We bought a foreclosure, Ď05 pool home, w/pond on
5 acres. Big cash crop for us was Saw Palmetto Berryís, other farm stuff we ate, bartered, or gave away, when I go into the local mkt and see what they call Lemmons, I shake my head.

Tough to beat Gís, that was a once a week for us, maybe 1 1/2 m away, we were off 103rd on 85th, miss the property, but not the H & H and hurricanes, or fear of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top