U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 09:37 AM

34 posts, read 15,706 times

Advertisements

City-Data, and other message boards, are full of posts from people who are looking for Mayberry (From the Old Andy Griffith TV Show) If not a small town like Mayberry maybe a mid-sized place where live if less stressful than the big cities that have the best job market.

I am currently living and working full time in the Washington DC area. I run into so many people here in their 50s who are counting down the days before they can retire and move out of his soul-sucking rat race city. They tell me they are sticking around DC until they are eligible for their pension, Social Security or target number in their 401k. Then they will leave this terrible place and never look back.

Lots of people I talk to can't wait until they can retire and move to a nice town where people are nice, friendly and relaxed.

So here is my question to people who are retired and moved to a new town/state. Are the people in your new retirement community nicer, friendlier and more relaxed than the people in the city you lived in while working full time? (IN GENERAL)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 09:43 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,543,353 times
I can tell you that my Brother and his Wife, my Cousin and his Wife moved from NY to Calabash North Carolina.....my Nephew was the first to go south and landed in Sunset Beach North Carolina. They all love the areas, and wish they had done it sooner.....we are next, in a few years.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:51 AM

568 posts, read 269,298 times
Are the people in your new retirement community nicer, friendlier and more relaxed than the people in the city you lived in while working full time?

Absolutely!

Old 11-30-2018, 09:56 AM

11,108 posts, read 12,497,913 times
Moved to a new town in retirement? Are the people nicer in your new town?

No.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:02 AM

2,747 posts, read 1,711,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specific Point View Post
Are the people in your new retirement community nicer, friendlier and more relaxed than the people in the city you lived in while working full time? (IN GENERAL)
Yup, no doubt about it. We are SO happy we moved from a big city to a small town.

As I have said before on this forum, back when I lived in Minneapolis, I could start out in a good mood, do two errands, and return home crabby and worn out. Here, I can start out in a not so good mood, do six errands (in less time than it took for two in the city), and return home with a big smile on my face.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:11 AM

34 posts, read 15,706 times
It would be really friendly if you could tell us about the town you lived in before you retired and where you live now. And why is it friendlier or not? (That would be very friendly of you!)

Old 11-30-2018, 10:24 AM

6,338 posts, read 5,079,035 times
I lived in a smallish air force town when I retired. The people were very nice

Before that I was stationed in a big city. Hated even going to the big grocery store - HEB.

I live in my small hometown again. Half of the people in this town are wackos but I still like it here. Lol

At least I know which ones are loony and how to react to them! In the big city, you can't trust any of them.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:33 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,666,493 times
I moved from Northern VA to Williamsburg. I knew plenty of nice people in Nova, but as the years went by, it seemed like I met an increasing number of people who were too busy for things like being nice. I loved Nova for a long time, but in the last few years it's felt more like a place where everyone was busy, increasingly rude, and so frantic! Did the people change, or did I? Or maybe both?Who knows, all I really know is I was ready to move to a place like Williamsburg.

In Williamsburg, people are much more relaxed. Sometimes it feels like a throw back to an earlier era. Plus, people don't move here for careers, which cuts down quite a bit on the number of aggressive people moving here. Instead, this town attracts people who tend to appreciate things like stopping to visit with a neighbor on his front porch, bringing care packages or shoveling a sidewalk when a friend is sick, doing volunteer work, etc. Any trip to a store will involve stopping to say hello to somebody, and it's pretty common for people to get together for parties or to go to things like the fireworks. If you move here, you're likely to be invited to join a scrabble group or a book club or stop by someone's house for a BBQ.

I don't know if any of these things make the people in my new town "nicer" but it does make it a nicer place to live. For us, any way.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 11-30-2018 at 11:19 AM..

6,131 posts, read 9,101,023 times
Absolutely ! I lived in Chandler, AZ outside Phoenix for 15 years. No one on my street knew anyone else. Traffic, going anywhere, especially in the heat, was awful. And add to that the roads with wrong way drivers, shooters, red light runners, etc, made it dangerous. People got very crabby in summer.

Now I live in Prescott, AZ, everybody's home town. Most of us are retirees and we talk to each other, appreciate what we have and try to be good citizens. It's so much friendlier here and I am staying forever.

8,411 posts, read 9,162,606 times
There is an old story. A visitor asks a local if the people in his town are friendly. The local responds with a question; how are the people in your town? The visitor responds XXX. The local responds you will find people the same here..

The point being 90% of the time we create our own friendliness.

With that said, I live near a small town where it is expected that you say hi to strangers on the street and we have the most polite drivers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or