U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2019, 01:06 AM

5,430 posts, read 3,450,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

What's an internet radio?

So there's a such thing as an internet radio? And there's a such thing as getting your radio over the internet?
I've had three different internet radios - for accessing Sirius XM which has a whole bunch of choices of music genre channels and music type channels for music listening.

These three internet radios were (and are) designed specifically to access Sirius XM.

I can also listen to Sirius XM on my computer - with their online access.

I also listen occasionally to LOTS of jazz channels online on my computer. You already know about listening to radio via your computer - one can choose music genres to listen to via computer or also choose specific radio stations to listen to via computer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 11:58 AM

2,243 posts, read 1,104,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I use google.com for all those questions every day - all day and all night! I have a LOT of questions every day which come to mind constantly - so I just google for immediate answers - as I have my laptop computer next to me all day.
I'm not at my computer all day, so asking Alexa is more convenient for me. I usually come up with questions at odd times, like when I'm stirring a pot on the stove, watching TV, cleaning the house, or walking up the stairs. I just call out my questions and boom, I get an immediate answer, without having to go to my computer. The novelty never wears off.

I also like that she tells me the status of my amazon orders, reminds me to do things, acts as a timer, tells jokes, plays games, etc. It's like having a personal assistant around.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:31 PM

217 posts, read 63,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

So there's a such thing as an internet radio? And there's a such thing as getting your radio over the internet but it doesn't work that well or sound that well. Maybe I could get one Alexa, set her on top of the bedroom dresser and holler to her from all over the house. T
There's a number of them. Yamaha makes a receiver that also allows you to stream audio from a bajillion radio stations over the internet. Probably the most common are made by Grace Digital. I just like a couple of knobs and buttons I guess.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:24 PM

I love listening to Radio Garden, which has radio stations from all over the world. If you have nice speakers on your computer, radio internet is great. https://radio.garden/

I forgot to say that my most used feature of Alexa is my music from amazon.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:37 PM

31,674 posts, read 19,975,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I love listening to Radio Garden, which has radio stations from all over the world. If you have nice speakers on your computer, radio internet is great. https://radio.garden/

I forgot to say that my most used feature of Alexa is my music from amazon.

You use Prime music? I like it. DH uses that at the gym, and it doesn't allow two users at the same time.

I end up listening to podcasts and books on my bluetooth headphones.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-23-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You use Prime music? I like it. DH uses that at the gym, and it doesn't allow two users at the same time.

I end up listening to podcasts and books on my bluetooth headphones.

Not Prime, no.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Not Prime, no.
Just in case you didn't know (or others): if you have Amazon Prime they have free music streaming, similar to IHeartRadio and Pandora.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:31 PM

28,242 posts, read 39,901,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Just in case you didn't know (or others): if you have Amazon Prime they have free music streaming, similar to IHeartRadio and Pandora.
Around 1 million titles. Move up to Unlimited Music and it's closer to 35 million titles.

And the choice is sometimes baffling. Friends from Duluth, MN asked Alexa to play some obscure local Duluth band and it did. I asked it to play Pearls Before Swine and it had no clue.

We have Sonos. The Playbar and two Sonos ones. The sound is amazing. Football games are one of the more interesting things to listen to. We get the field play and announcers from the Playbar and two different sets of crowd sounds from the speakers.

I found a way to access the music on our server so I've added about 14k titles. Some of which are duplicated on Amazon Prime Music, and some that aren't. Like Pearls Before Swine.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:39 PM

We have a sound bar in the garage, a water proof speaker which sometimes accompanies me to the shower, and various wired and bluetooth headphones..... I've never owned a pair of computer speakers that I thought were any good, though I know they are out there.

There are so many options now days!

Old 03-23-2019, 10:29 PM

23,587 posts, read 17,574,904 times
Set it to where it can call all contacts in your phone, so if an emergency happens, all you need to do is scream "call <name>"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or