U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 11:38 AM

19,838 posts, read 18,851,047 times

Advertisements

Hey, Tek_Freek or someone, I am in an area that is monopolized by Comcast but I called the other company that sort of serves the area. They offer stand alone internet BUT it's 18 MB. (That means nothing to me.)

Would this be sufficient for two laptops, streaming something on the tv, and using Alexa or internet radio all at the same time? No gaming, nothing else. It doesn't sound like enough but maybe it is.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:48 AM

2,232 posts, read 1,101,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Just in case you didn't know (or others): if you have Amazon Prime they have free music streaming, similar to IHeartRadio and Pandora.
I know, but I don't want to pay for Prime.

I only buy stuff from amazon that already has free shipping, so Prime wouldn't be worth it to me, and I buy very little music, just my favorites. For other music, I listen to Pandora for free, and other radio stations for free. I'm cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 11:57 AM

31,630 posts, read 19,962,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post

I only buy stuff from amazon that already has free shipping, so Prime wouldn't be worth it to me, and I buy very little music, just my favorites. For other music, I listen to Pandora for free, and other radio stations for free. I'm cheap.
Not cheap, you just know what does, and does not, have value to you!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-24-2019, 02:57 PM

28,240 posts, read 39,890,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Hey, Tek_Freek or someone, I am in an area that is monopolized by Comcast but I called the other company that sort of serves the area. They offer stand alone internet BUT it's 18 MB. (That means nothing to me.)

Would this be sufficient for two laptops, streaming something on the tv, and using Alexa or internet radio all at the same time? No gaming, nothing else. It doesn't sound like enough but maybe it is.
How fast is your Comcast and does it fill your needs?

Compare that to the the other company's speed. If it's as fast then it should work.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:02 PM

25,976 posts, read 32,990,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post

I have purchased SO much music from Amazon. A few things from iTunes, but mostly Amazon. I like to listen to specific music, when I want to hear it. I do stream occasionally, but I much prefer my own tunes.
There are some areas where I don't want to be cheap...and my music is one of them.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:20 PM

28,240 posts, read 39,890,612 times
That's one of the reasons we like the Sonos. We can create playlists from Amazon Prime.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:41 PM

2,445 posts, read 1,063,865 times
If you have very eclectic taste in music, try this site. You can choose music by country and decade, from 1900 to now.
Radiooooo

Old 03-26-2019, 11:59 AM

7,295 posts, read 15,347,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
That's one of the reasons we like the Sonos. We can create playlists from Amazon Prime.
I have a very early Sonos (2013) and stopped using it because EVERY time I tried to use it had to be reset because of lost connection between the base unit and the speaker. I take it that it doesn't have that problem now?
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 03-26-2019, 12:40 PM

14,233 posts, read 44,903,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
How about a tell Alexa to self-destruct command???
That's followed by a lifetime of great sleep.

edit: ha ha...just kidding. I think.

Indeed. There is no way I would have Google's little spy in my house. If someone gave me one, I would take it to the rifle range without ever activating it, and shoot it into smithereens.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:53 PM

214 posts, read 62,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Indeed. There is no way I would have Google's little spy in my house. If someone gave me one, I would take it to the rifle range without ever activating it, and shoot it into smithereens.
The Google spy is Google Home I think.

I do agree with you on the shooting part. It would be nice if they would design a stand-alone AI-lite thing of this sort, but besides being currently impractical, there's no commercial need for one.

So few people care about surveillance capitalism that the bars will clash shut before anyone notices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or