U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 06:02 AM

4,446 posts, read 2,619,895 times

Advertisements

I will not have an Alexa or Google home or any other "smart assistant " in my house even if you paid me to have, gave me the useful ancillary devices free, and let me order whatever i wanted free.

They DO record and log many things you say and ask, for one, it may not be everything you say and do but it has the potential to listen. I really don't wamt to be spied on in my own home

Its like Facebook. Were not on it either, as we know too many people who have had trouble with people posting things to their pages they dont want.

Theres ALREADY a " help ive fallen and cant get up" button that will also detect a fall....alexa can't detect a fall by the motion of the button, unless maybe the button is attached to Alexa sonehow, which may coming.

Nope not me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 10:26 AM

28,256 posts, read 39,920,849 times
I wonder what posters that are uncomfortable with data being stored are doing. Personally I find it hilarious that some company thinks what I talk about is worth saving. Can you imagine the mundane garbage that's sitting on some server in a huge air conditioned warehouse just waiting for the FBI to discover?

"Hey, Tek_Freek just farted and his wife is upset because it smells so bad."

Sheesh.

Yeah, if you're plotting to kill someone, or counterfeiting money, or abusing your wife or kids it makes sense to be paranoid. But someone like me? Bah!

We have Sonos Play Ones, which have Alexa built in. We bought them for the quality of the speakers (which is amazing btw) not for Alexa. In fact I rarely use "her" except to ask her to play music. Mostly it's for watching TV. Football games with the two speakers and a playbar are fantastic. We hear the game from the playbar by the TV, and different crowd noises from each speaker. Also great when we play games on our PS3 and PS4.

But the uses for someone who needs them are great. A person with memory problems can be reminded of appointments, the food is done baking, call your son, etc. Paraplegics or quadriplegics can do a lot using them, especially when coupled with smart devices.

We use an Alexa skill that controls smart outlets when we are on vacation. We plug four lamps into them and can turn them on or off from anywhere in the world. I have a standard program set for each, but log in and change it every couple of days. This is much better than the mechanical timers that always turn lights on/off at the same time.

We have friends that use Echo and Echo Dot. They know that if Help by the Beatles is being played on them the other person needs help. "Alexa play Help by the Beatles in all rooms." Clever, huh? She has trouble sleeping and has the one on her bed stand play ocean waves. "Alexa, play waves".

Considering my health I foresee a time when I will have a lot more things controlled using something like Alexa.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:34 AM

Regarding the storing of all conversations:

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...xa-spying-you/

Quote:
Amazon’s Alexa technology is designed to capture voice data only after a specific voice command, called a wake word, triggers a recording mechanism. Despite some instances where private conversations were accidentally recorded and uploaded to the cloud, Khanna’s claim greatly overstates things. We found no evidence to suggest the device records every conversation and sends it the cloud. It does record conversations when it hears the wake word, and in some cases the device has misinterpreted speech when people didn't actually say the wake work [sic].

We rate this Mostly False.
Ours responds to things said on TV occasionally. We get a kick out of it.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:57 PM

7,695 posts, read 4,731,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I wonder what posters that are uncomfortable with data being stored are doing. Personally I find it hilarious that some company thinks what I talk about is worth saving. Can you imagine the mundane garbage that's sitting on some server in a huge air conditioned warehouse just waiting for the FBI to discover?
There is a lot of money to be made in mining data from what people talk about (Alexa) and what people write (Gmail). Some of the applications for such information we know about but there are certainly others that are dark. Only the people who are mining the data know what it will be used for and they're not telling.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:27 PM

4,446 posts, read 2,619,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
There is a lot of money to be made in mining data from what people talk about (Alexa) and what people write (Gmail). Some of the applications for such information we know about but there are certainly others that are dark. Only the people who are mining the data know what it will be used for and they're not telling.
This^^. And there is a fortune to be made in mining data.

CNN did a report on a new car. Tyere are 26 computers onboard capable of streaming 60 GIGS of data an hour about the driver and users.

It was reported that mining data on location, stops at businesses, travel info such as driving speeds etc is a goldmine for resale.

It was reported that a car costing $35k new actually data mined could be resold for $50k making the data more valuable than the actual car itself!

This or that is why i dont want an alexa or the like, not that im worried about who is listening to what.

And should alexa wake up while you say words like "bomb" or ",terrorism " you just might have cops showing up with search warrants just because alexa reported those words at your residence, even though you are not intending to make a terrorist bomb.

And look how many times facebook data or other data breaches have exposed people in ways they never thought possible.

So, no,, unless im forced to, I will remain a "dumb household ".

And if i can find the link to the car data mining story, I'll post it. So you all can see.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:42 PM

8,623 posts, read 9,692,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
This^^. And there is a fortune to be made in mining data.

CNN did a report on a new car. Tyere are 26 computers onboard capable of streaming 60 GIGS of data an hour about the driver and users.

It was reported that mining data on location, stops at businesses, travel info such as driving speeds etc is a goldmine for resale.

It was reported that a car costing $35k new actually data mined could be resold for $50k making the data more valuable than the actual car itself!

This or that is why i dont want an alexa or the like, not that im worried about who is listening to what.

And should alexa wake up while you say words like "bomb" or ",terrorism " you just might have cops showing up with search warrants just because alexa reported those words at your residence, even though you are not intending to make a terrorist bomb.

And look how many times facebook data or other data breaches have exposed people in ways they never thought possible.

So, no,, unless im forced to, I will remain a "dumb household ".

And if i can find the link to the car data mining story, I'll post it. So you all can see.

I think that's all pretty scary. Smacks of Big Brother too much. I don't think I'll live long enough that anyone could "force" me to do anything but, like you, I will remain a "dumb household" as well. I do have my cell phone but I'm pretty sure anyone keeping track of me with that would be bored and sleeping all the time. Likewise with my e-mail. Probably 99% of my e-mail is just spam. Boring.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:13 PM

2,254 posts, read 1,109,915 times
If you're on the internet, you're not really in a dumb household.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:57 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,512,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I think that's all pretty scary. Smacks of Big Brother too much. I don't think I'll live long enough that anyone could "force" me to do anything but, like you, I will remain a "dumb household" as well. I do have my cell phone but I'm pretty sure anyone keeping track of me with that would be bored and sleeping all the time. Likewise with my e-mail. Probably 99% of my e-mail is just spam. Boring.
I feel the same way.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:04 PM

I can sit here and say "Alexa" wait for the reaction and say "bomb terrorist".

No one is going to show up at my door.

How paranoid can people be?

Old 12-03-2018, 06:02 PM

426 posts, read 189,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
It would be great to know the specific brand. We have the Echo, not Google.
It is safe to assume all of them are " the specific brand".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or