U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-08-2018, 04:31 AM
 
4,443 posts, read 2,618,160 times
Reputation: 10368

Advertisements

Alexa: open the pod bay door.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2018, 10:00 AM
Status: "0-0-2 Game On!" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: The beautiful Rogue Valley, Oregon
7,308 posts, read 15,359,891 times
Reputation: 9493
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Alexa: open the pod bay door.

She has a reply to that: "I'm sorry Dave, I am afraid I can't do that. I am not Hal and we are not in space."

Of course I asked. She CAN fire photon torpedoes, beam you up and play Red Alert.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
Moderator for: Oregon (and subforums), Auto Racing.
When you signed up for an account, you agreed to abide by the site's TOS and rules. You really should look through them.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2018, 10:59 AM
 
28,243 posts, read 39,914,600 times
Reputation: 36758
LOL! Some days.... I've given up. Sorry for the sidetrack. That got very confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2018, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,100 posts, read 13,614,329 times
Reputation: 22152
We use Alexa mostly to set timers, my 6 year old grandson uses it to get answers for his homework. We also can control our thermostat with Alexa which comes in handy when I'm too lazy to get up and turn the heat up at 3am. But I've never had it read books to me, and every time I ask it to play a song it tells me that I need to subscribe to something to play that song
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2018, 09:05 PM
 
28,243 posts, read 39,914,600 times
Reputation: 36758
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
We use Alexa mostly to set timers, my 6 year old grandson uses it to get answers for his homework. We also can control our thermostat with Alexa which comes in handy when I'm too lazy to get up and turn the heat up at 3am. But I've never had it read books to me, and every time I ask it to play a song it tells me that I need to subscribe to something to play that song
Assuming you have music on your computer. We are Amazon Prime members which gives us access to over 1 million titles.

This will pull music from a computer.

https://www.amazon.com/bizmodeller-M.../dp/B06XPP135L

Quote:
My Media for Alexa lets you voice control and stream music from your home media collection to your Amazon Echo or Amazon Dot device.
If anyone has Sonos speakers you can do the same, but in a different way.

Edit: This site shows different ways to play music. Scroll to the Third Party Music Services heading and see if yours will play using any of them. It does require the app on your phone.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ways-p...g-amazon-echo/

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 12-09-2018 at 09:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2018, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,100 posts, read 13,614,329 times
Reputation: 22152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Assuming you might have music on your computer.

https://www.amazon.com/bizmodeller-M.../dp/B06XPP135L
Thanks, that's really helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2018, 09:26 PM
 
28,243 posts, read 39,914,600 times
Reputation: 36758
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Thanks, that's really helpful
Look into the site I posted as well re Third Party Music Services. I believe some of those are free and will open up a huge amount of music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2018, 10:32 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,100 posts, read 13,614,329 times
Reputation: 22152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Look into the site I posted as well re Third Party Music Services. I believe some of those are free and will open up a huge amount of music.
Will do, thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2018, 01:24 PM
 
329 posts, read 163,969 times
Reputation: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
My best friend has been almost completely deaf from childhood and has gotten two cochlear implants in the past 10 years. Her elderly mother moved in with them recently and has a bedroom on the first floor of the house, while my friend's and her husband's is on the second floor.

My friend wants a way for her mother to alert her at night if she needs help, but a sound signal, like a baby monitor, won't work because when she takes off the implants' external part to sleep, she can't hear, period. So they're looking into configuring a smart speaker to turn on a flashing light in my friend's bedroom that would wake her so that she knows she's needed if her hearing husband is on a business trip.
I am newish to the Alexa world, but here would be my suggestion based on what I do know is possible. Find a device that will work with a smart plug. I'm not sure if that would be a plug in strobe light or even a floor lamp with a bright bulb pointed at where she sleeps. To make sure it would work with the smart plug, it would need to be something where you could turn it on, unplug it, then plug it back in and have it come back on without pressing any button. That smart plug would get a name, like 'flashing light'. If they had Alexa devices spread out through the house, the mom could then call out, Alexa, turn on Flashing Light, and it would turn on the light in the daughter's bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2018, 05:58 PM
 
28,243 posts, read 39,914,600 times
Reputation: 36758
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
My best friend has been almost completely deaf from childhood and has gotten two cochlear implants in the past 10 years. Her elderly mother moved in with them recently and has a bedroom on the first floor of the house, while my friend's and her husband's is on the second floor.

My friend wants a way for her mother to alert her at night if she needs help, but a sound signal, like a baby monitor, won't work because when she takes off the implants' external part to sleep, she can't hear, period. So they're looking into configuring a smart speaker to turn on a flashing light in my friend's bedroom that would wake her so that she knows she's needed if her hearing husband is on a business trip.
Something that would vibrate on her nightstand or under the pillow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top