Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 06:04 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times

Advertisements

I have to say this to all those who are paranoid about having a device that can hear everything you say (they don't, but I'm not going to waste my time with explaining it).

There you sit typing on a keyboard. Connected to the Internet. Everything you type is being saved somewhere. You are making yourself a target. A bigger one than me because you are advertising your paranoia. Someone, somewhere, is going to wonder what it is you're paranoid about.

Knock. Knock. "We'd like to ask you a few questions about a conversation you had on City Data. Mind if we come in?"

While we're on the subject how many of you are sitting in front of a laptop? Big Brother is not only recording everything you are posting they are also watching you do it.

I hope you aren't in your underwear right now.

Buffalo Springfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 04:49 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
I saw this one today about a parrot using Amazon Alexa to order things while his owner is away. What a great bird!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/797467...-amazon-alexa/

Old 12-17-2018, 06:50 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I saw this one today about a parrot using Amazon Alexa to order things while his owner is away. What a great bird!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/797467...-amazon-alexa/
I have the ordering function and the camera function turned off on both of my devices.

But it amuses the heck out of me to say "Computer, turn on Flamingos!" and have all the outside lights (including the 4 lit flamingos) come on.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 01-25-2019, 02:13 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,949 times
I use Alexa usually for classical music, CNN, MSNBC, CNN MSNBC NYT Sports show podcasts, sometimes live football/sports, alarm, timer, weather, news briefs.

I has become a substitute for my cancelled Sirius XM radio. Haven't used it for lights in the house or TV.

I'll read through these pages for other ideas.

Wish I could find an app for Grand Ol Opry podcasts available 650 WSM. There is an skills app for very old shows, I think but not recent shows.

https://wsmonline.com/

Old 01-25-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
My daughter gave us one 3 years ago. It's still in box.
I was extremely hesitant about getting one, but now have four of them. I was trying to stay away from technology ---but really it has replaced radios, stereos, Sirius, and I haven't turned on the TV for two-plus days because I have Alexa turned into internet. Wish I had one for the car as I've become accustomed to having it available.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
We use Alexa mostly to set timers, my 6 year old grandson uses it to get answers for his homework. We also can control our thermostat with Alexa which comes in handy when I'm too lazy to get up and turn the heat up at 3am. But I've never had it read books to me, and every time I ask it to play a song it tells me that I need to subscribe to something to play that song

Amazon Music isn't bad - big library

Old 01-25-2019, 03:47 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
If the OP is looking for ideas to help the OP s friend, tell alexa to dial 9-1-1.

If thats not a feature, it should be.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:18 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
"Alexa, deliver a virtual slap on the wrist to posters who can't or won't keep politics out of the Retirement forum. Thank you."

Old 03-21-2019, 02:49 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
"Alexa, deliver a virtual slap on the wrist to posters who can't or won't keep politics out of the Retirement forum. Thank you."
Considering the subject matter it is almost impossible to not include it. It's unfortunate, but people worry about Big Brother. I would think that as long as it doesn't get to the point of everyone yelling at each other tolerance should prevail.

But a good reminder.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:37 PM

732 posts, read 390,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Considering the subject matter it is almost impossible to not include it. It's unfortunate, but people worry about Big Brother.
I figure the older you get, the less it matters.

If you feel like being a revolutionary, do regular person stuff on your Alexa/PC/TV and do your exotic activities on a burner PC running Qubes using Tor on a public wifi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement