Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 08:29 AM

6,592 posts, read 7,082,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I asked my husband if this is where he wants to go in the future, he’s warming up to the idea.
Any suggested tours or cruise to get there. Thanks for planting this idea, I need to do some research.

Set aside an hour and watch this video. "Ecuador the Royal Tour"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn7dMzG-T2w&t=13s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 08:45 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
I'm guessing that despite the inconveniences it was still well worth it to you. I am totally jealous!!

And thanks for the heads-up on that stuff!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-02-2018, 09:11 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,630,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm guessing that despite the inconveniences it was still well worth it to you. I am totally jealous!!

And thanks for the heads-up on that stuff!!
Totally worth it! I wouldn't even call it "inconveniences"---merely frustration over my own physical limitations. My mind is still operating on 20-years-ago capabilities!

These islands are "only" 1/4 of the distance from land, that you are: "middle of the ocean"....

Old 12-02-2018, 09:30 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Totally worth it! I wouldn't even call it "inconveniences"---merely frustration over my own physical limitations. My mind is still operating on 20-years-ago capabilities!

These islands are "only" 1/4 of the distance from land, that you are: "middle of the ocean"....

We just went snorkeling off Molokini (nothing compared to what you did), and the seas were rough, I got the knocked around quite a bit. Same with a caged shark dive we did. I am not made for the ocean.

Still Galapagos are one the many, many, many places I want to go. While my RA is under control, I still get frustrated when I tell my body to do something and it's like "yeah.... no."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-02-2018, 09:47 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,459,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
A few years ago i was considering a trip to Machu Pichu and came across a Galapagos trip that could be attached to it. I think I have waited too long. The thought of the trip and all the walking (uphill in thin air) at Machu Pichu seems daunting. Now I have more info from you about climbing in and out of boats -- I could do that but very awkwardly. I guess my point is the same as yours... if you are going to go, go while you can. Otherwise you are looking at one of those bus trips to Branson.
Macchu Picchu isn't that bad, physically, if you take a bus to get there from the train station. Cusco is more challenging, as it's about 3000 feet higher. It's a great trip, though.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:57 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We just went snorkeling off Molokini (nothing compared to what you did), and the seas were rough, I got the knocked around quite a bit. Same with a caged shark dive we did. I am not made for the ocean.

Still Galapagos are one the many, many, many places I want to go. While my RA is under control, I still get frustrated when I tell my body to do something and it's like "yeah.... no."
I went snorkeling near Hana, the sea was rough also. I threw up even with the seasick medicine. But the school of fish took care of that. It was a small boat, but I wanted to experience a small boat. From that experience, I think I might want to do big boat when it comes to Galapagos island. Even though, many people suggested small boat experience is better.

I did some googling and Roadscholar does offer budget type of traveling to Galapagos. So that’s for the budget mind people. I’ve already have trips planned for 2019,2020. So the earliest I can do is 2021. My husband will be 70, it’s appropriate for this thread.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:40 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,135 times
I was hooked on exploring the undersea world after spending a week snorkeling every day at Hanauma Bay.

Since I was not a very swimmer, I took several swimming classes at MIT before having enough confidence to attempt scuba diving. BTW, completing a swim test or taking a swim course is a requirement for graduation there. This did not apply to graduate students but I was glad to take advantage of the great instructions and facility. Being a good swimmer also led me to participating in other water sports like sailing, rowing and windsurfing.

I'd highly recommend people to give this sport a try. Over the years, I have seen scuba diving students of all ages (I know quite a few divers in their 70's), shapes, sizes and physical abilities including people in wheelchairs!

After diving for years, I no longer think being a good swimmer is a requirement but one has to know how to stay afloat and tread water just in case ;-). Many people are afraid or reluctant to try the sport for several reasons which I would like to comment on.

First is the seasickness concern. There are many great shore diving places with hardly any surf or waves. Our favorite places are in the Grand Bahama and Bonaire. If anything, scuba diving is much easier and gentler than snorkeling since there are hardly any waves or surf below 10-15 ft. If you have to take a boat to go to diving spots, a bigger boat is much better than a small one. Even though we have dived for many years with hundreds of boat rides, I still take motion sickness pills as preventive measures. For the pills to be effective, you have to take them the day before the boat ride as well as the day of the ride. We have done many liveaboard trips and usually did not need to take motion sickness pills after a day or two on the ship.

Second is the problem of clearing your ears. There are many tips and techniques to overcome this issue

https://www2.padi.com/blog/2015/04/2...ualizing-ears/

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/h...Ear/index.html

I find these tips and techniques are helpful not only for scuba diving but also for air traveling.

If you practice some of the eustachian tube clearing maneuvers often, you will find that it becomes easier and easier when you need to do so while scuba diving or air traveling.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:48 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

I'm planning on taking Overseas Adventure Travel, which I took to India and Nepal. I would have loved to take UnCruise but their Single rates have gotten crazy and I don't know anyone well enough that I'd want to share a stateroom with them! I know that they're VERY good about going over the conditions of any excursion the night before, so you can decide whether or not to sign up. We would have been forewarned about the caldera hike.
I took an OAT trip to Nepal well before I was a senior. Turned out I was the only person in the "group," so went around Nepal with a little Nepali crew who spoke a bit of English. It was a really great way to go, and I know they have Galapagos trips. I think they have a senior piece called Golden Circle Travel and it lists very specifically what physical demands a trip might offer.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:07 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,003 times
Fantastic stories.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:59 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
We just finished a trip to Rome & the Caribbean because if we don't go now we may not be able to later. Once we get back, there will be a more aggressive (from "no'' to "maybe" is 'more aggressive' isn't it?) exercise routine.

Bonaire did have lovely snorkeling although there was a lot of dead coral there, I was surprised at how high of a percentage of the reef was dead. Very few anemones, too, but we only snorkeled for a couple hours off of Klein Bonaire so maybe the other reefs were better.

Not a lot of physicalness necessary. From the dock directly onto a pontoon boat, then down the steps of the pontoon boat into the water. Back up the three steps onto the boat and then the dock exit was straight across. We also drift snorkeled so not even any swimming. Not sure if the Galapagos would be similar or not, sounds more strenuous in the Galapagos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement