Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 08:26 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times

Advertisements

I know some of you have this incredible place on your radar, or bucket-list. It is unbelievably fantastic, and everything you have heard/seen. We just returned from 2 weeks there and I thought a couple issues were relevant to seniors. All you agile and fit seniors can just disregard this.

From the plane, there are several small boats to take, which involve climbing/crawling from one unstable small boat to another. These are not optional, and for me with weak knees, it was difficult. There are attendants to give you a hand, but it was still awkward and hard for me. We were not aware of this in advance, despite friends who went there.

The various boat tours, of course, require the same level of agility. I love to snorkel, but when we went, the seas even in the protected bays, were rather rough and murky, compared to what I was used to in other places. I felt a bit over my physical limit and comfort zone. However, seeing giant sea turtles close enough to touch, white-tip sharks and playful sea lions was well worth it. These tours also involve boat transfers, stepping from one small "water taxi" to another less-small boat.

On one kayak-snorkel, we had to climb back into the kayak from the ocean. This was almost impossible for me with shoulder arthritis. I bruised a rib, lol. Again, guys are there to help, but it was very difficult.

The hike to see the massive volcano caldera (largest on earth) was a muddy slog in drizzle and fog that is 10 miles total. We were not told that until committed and there on site, despite asking about it. I had to turn back and get a taxi back. Still sore from that. I don't recommend that hike except for strong/fit hikers.

Just FYI, internet is almost non-existent, and there are NO ATMs on the most famous island: Isabella. And most don't take credit cards, or if they do, charge 10% fee. The 2 ATMs on Santa Cruz (where the airport is) have 2 ATM locations but they only issue a max of $200 despite listing larger amounts. So come prepared with LOTS of cash. Some hotels don't even take credit cards. This important info is not in the guide books we read, nor did other travelers tell us.

These issues did not diminish our enjoyment at all. We loved everything about it, and it was the experience of a lifetime. Sea lions on all the park benches and sidewalks, and the every-fascinating marine iguanas underfoot everywhere. I can't wait to return, but this time will visit San Cristobal, to which you can fly direct with no boat transfers.

Just be prepared! I would have appreciated knowing this important stuff in advance. But, it is totally
wonderful---truly the experience of a lifetime. I have the Darwin T-shirt to prove it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 11:13 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Glad you enjoyed it, yes certainly a trip of a lifetime. A bit envious...

Old 12-01-2018, 01:46 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
I asked my husband if this is where he wants to go in the future, he’s warming up to the idea.
Any suggested tours or cruise to get there. Thanks for planting this idea, I need to do some research.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:11 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Default What?

Galapagos for seniors

I know seniors are pretty slow but consigning them to live with the sea turtles seems a little harsh.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:17 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
^^^^^ My thoughts, too.

Old 12-01-2018, 05:23 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,461 times
Sand&Salt,

I am so glad that you took the trip and reported it here.

We were very fortunate to spend 8 days exploring Galapagos Islands on the scuba diving liveaboard Galapagos Aggressor in 2002

https://www.liveaboard.com/diving/ga...iAAEgLh5_D_BwE

It was definitely the trip of a lifetime. Your post brought back wonderful memories of giant tortoises, sea lions, land/marine iguanas, whale sharks, schools of hammerhead/galapagos sharks, golden rays, sting rays, spotted eagles and numerous species of colorful fishes.

We had several land tours between scuba diving sessions. It was incredible to see blue footed boobies, frigatebird colonies along with many species of birds including flamingos and penguins!. The visit made us so much in awe of Darwin's discoveries.

The most memorable story we heard from the divemaster on the trip was that of a senior woman diver. Her children and grand children gave her a certificate to learn scuba diving on her 70th birthday. After getting certified, she wanted to go diving in the most incredible dive site of the world which is the Galapagos.

Because she was just newly certified and not an advanced diver, she could not go too deep. The divemaster accompanied her in all the dives above 40 feet while the rest of the divers stayed below at ~60-70 feet (hanging on to volcanic rocks while watching the sharks, rays and fishes). Since the current was much stronger at shallow depths, this lady and the divemaster made 2 rounds at each dive site vs 1 for others. She bragged that she had twice the number of dives and of course twice the fun ;-)

BTW, if you want plan to visit Galapagos Islands, make sure to visit other parts of Ecuador like Quito and the surrounding attractions:

https://theculturetrip.com/south-ame...kets-in-quito/

Last edited by BellaDL; 12-01-2018 at 05:48 PM..

Old 12-01-2018, 05:26 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
A few years ago i was considering a trip to Machu Pichu and came across a Galapagos trip that could be attached to it. I think I have waited too long. The thought of the trip and all the walking (uphill in thin air) at Machu Pichu seems daunting. Now I have more info from you about climbing in and out of boats -- I could do that but very awkwardly. I guess my point is the same as yours... if you are going to go, go while you can. Otherwise you are looking at one of those bus trips to Branson.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:47 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
Years ago when I was a writer at a veterinary school, I had to write a curriculum for a small group of vet students' trip to the Galapagos. For the multiple choice question about "Which male does a Galapagos tortoise choose to mate with?" one of the answer choices I provided was, "The richest."

The actual answer is "The tallest." The males push themselves up as high as they can on their legs to attract a female, which I thought was very interesting.

I worked in Ecuador for about a month before starting graduate school, and I second the suggestion to check out the rest of the country, not just Guayaquil. We did field work way down in the tropical rainforest of the Oriente Province among one of the tributaries of the Amazon in an area that was barely developed, and it was the first of my many foreign field trips, and therefore, one of the most memorable.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:38 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Thanks for the advice! It's on my list for 2020. I'm 65 and would probably be able to climb back into a kayak from the ocean if someone steadied it for me. Interesting to know about the murky snorkeling; I wouldn't have expected that. Definitely useful info about the need to take some cash.

I'm planning on taking Overseas Adventure Travel, which I took to India and Nepal. I would have loved to take UnCruise but their Single rates have gotten crazy and I don't know anyone well enough that I'd want to share a stateroom with them! I know that they're VERY good about going over the conditions of any excursion the night before, so you can decide whether or not to sign up. We would have been forewarned about the caldera hike.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:07 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Sand&Salt,

I am so glad that you took the trip and reported it here.

We were very fortunate to spend 8 days exploring Galapagos Islands on the scuba diving liveaboard Galapagos Aggressor in 2002

https://www.liveaboard.com/diving/ga...iAAEgLh5_D_BwE

It was definitely the trip of a lifetime. Your post brought back wonderful memories of giant tortoises, sea lions, land/marine iguanas, whale sharks, schools of hammerhead/galapagos sharks, golden rays, sting rays, spotted eagles and numerous species of colorful fishes.

We had several land tours between scuba diving sessions. It was incredible to see blue footed boobies, frigatebird colonies along with many species of birds including flamingos and penguins!. The visit made us so much in awe of Darwin's discoveries.

The most memorable story we heard from the divemaster on the trip was that of a senior woman diver. Her children and grand children gave her a certificate to learn scuba diving on her 70th birthday. After getting certified, she wanted to go diving in the most incredible dive site of the world which is the Galapagos.

Because she was just newly certified and not an advanced diver, she could not go too deep. The divemaster accompanied her in all the dives above 40 feet while the rest of the divers stayed below at ~60-70 feet (hanging on to volcanic rocks while watching the sharks, rays and fishes). Since the current was much stronger at shallow depths, this lady and the divemaster made 2 rounds at each dive site vs 1 for others. She bragged that she had twice the number of dives and of course twice the fun ;-)

BTW, if you want plan to visit Galapagos Islands, make sure to visit other parts of Ecuador like Quito and the surrounding attractions:

https://theculturetrip.com/south-ame...kets-in-quito/
Wow, what an experience! The live-aboard tours are really expensive. But what a way to "do" the Galapagos. Just FYI, there are cheaper ways to explore the islands. We found a flight for just $200 from Guayaquil, then just picked our own tours from all the operators that are everywhere. All-day was $120 and a few hours was $30. Hotels can be had for around $60 but we opted for an ocean-front room for $120. Iguana entertainment is free and so comical. I just love those guys.

It is sad that the giant tortoises can no longer hatch in nature successfully. Due to rats and other introduced predators. The breeding centers keep them going.

I envy the scuba-diving experience. Though I did it in college, neither my husband nor I could successfully equalize last time we tried it in Hawaii. So we settled for snorkeling which is "almost" as good.

Quito is a wonderful world-heritage site. Lots of historic colonial-era buildings and churches, and lively street life. The double-decker bus tour is not to be missed. Nothing strenuous there, LOL.

I have yet to visit Machu Picchu or the Amazon but they are on our bucket list too....I better not wait too long or my knees won't permit it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement