U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 01:18 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,505,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
first of all it ain't me that figured it all out . read the article , i did not write it. that is their facts and figures ... you may want to read before making accusations
I have been reading your posts for a long, long time. It is an ongoing pattern of diminishing other's opinions.

I, for one, am weary of it so finally made a comment. Cash awards go to your head or what?

Even in this response right here you are all about one uppance.

And I read just fine, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 01:22 PM

71,470 posts, read 71,652,652 times
that is what the ignore button is for -use it . i will challenge and call out things that have no merit or can be shown to be incorrect if i feel they are . .

Old 12-03-2018, 01:25 PM

8,611 posts, read 9,674,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well i quote the workers here . they are checking to make sure we are leaving with everything WE PAID FOR .

Well, of course! Don't want to leave paid for merchandise behind.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:32 PM

1,133 posts, read 616,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Sometimes people return to work for other reasons than finances.
I have a friend who is a multi billionaire, and he and I were just talking about this subject the other day. He and I are both 73, and he still runs a bunch of businesses and is active from early in the morning until late at night. He and I agreed that our work ethic is what keeps us as healthy and as sharp as we are.

So, don't assume every old person you see working is doing it out of desperation. Some of us love to work.
In the Amazon Flex thread on Work and Employment Dorian Ro came up with a different reason rich people still work. Made me laugh out loud!

Originally Posted by xsthomas
The richest man in our history and the owner of Amazon, Jeff Bezos cant come off a little bit of it. But just does this.
"Amazon founder Jeff Bezos gives $5 million to Portland nonprofit". You would think once you're worth $150 Billion, you could pay your people a decent wage

11-23-2018, 12:33 PM
DorianRo

Im sure one of his sociopath buddies are somehow involved in that non-profi. Anyone that it is worth 150 Billion today and still working, theres usually an evil intent behind it

Old 12-03-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Uh, the cabbie often doesn't own the cab? He's not driving his personal car?

Although I suppose if a drunken party girl vomits in the back seat a cabbie still has to clean it up, just like the Uber driver.

Either I didn't say that right or you misunderstood what I was saying. Wasn't even thinking about the differences between cabs and personal cars. What I meant was I never hear people having doubts or questions about cab drivers, who are strangers to the passengers, but people are always wondering at the advisability of getting into a Uber/Lyft car with a "stranger". That's what I meant when I asked what's the difference? All drivers are strangers to the passengers they pick up no matter if it's a cab or private vehicle.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
The issue of "Bragging" always seems to surface here. I'm sure there are ways to offer advice without the need to tell people how well one has done for oneself, how much more one has than others, and also berate others for not having done well for themselves. Just seems like a repetitive matter in this forum.

I think it depends on how an individual takes it. For myself, I don't look at it as people "bragging". It's part of their life, how they've lived and made things work for them. Kudos to them! My life couldn't be considered any kind of "success" but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate, and learn from, the ones who have been successful. It would have been nice to find a place like this when I was a lot younger. I do appreciate the intelligence and knowledge of the various posters here.

And I'm still waiting to win the lottery so I can hire Mathjack as my financial advisor.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I dont' know of anyone in their 70s trying to get back into FULL time work. Many that i know have or are looking for part time jobs to supplement their income. Granted i only know a few dozen retirees but it seems far fetched think there are hoards out there looking for a full time gig...

No, no "hoards", but yes, older people are still looking for work. I know they are here and I'm one of them. I don't think any of us want full time. We've 'put in our time' and only want part time now. I've figured out how I can do that safely, financially, and that's what I'll do. I am old, tired and lazy so I really want something that's not stressful, not crazy busy and people are decent to you. There's so much I don't WANT to do anymore, and things I simply can't do anymore due to health issues, so I'm being picky. I think other older people probably feel the same way. Our grocery and hardware stores are staffed by mostly retirees...or close to retiring. Actually most of the businesses in our smallish town employ plenty of older people. This IS a retirement area so I guess that makes sense.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
From my understanding (unless my understanding is mistaken), all Uber and Lyft drivers have to own their own vehicle (a vehicle is not provided to you by Uber or Lyft), whereas taxi drivers drive taxis which are owned by the taxi companies and most (if not all?) of those taxis have sealed fortifications/barriers (usually bulletproof) separating the backseat passengers from the front-seat driver. What person who owns their own vehcile is going to have the same type of sealed and bulletgproof fortifications/barriers installed between the front and back seats in his or her own owned vehicle (and all at his or her own expense)?

Although someone with a gun could just as well shoot at the driver from outside the vehicle into the side glass or the windshield (unless those are also designed to be bulletproof . . . which I don't know about one way or the other).

P.S.-- Or perhaps the poster that you were responding to is thinking of the safety risks of BOTH being an Uber or Lyft driver AND of being a taxi driver as well. Maybe he or she doesn't want to work in ANY capacity for anyone whereby they have to give rides to perfect strangers.

That's kind of what I was getting at. Cab drivers and Uber/Lyft drivers would be total strangers and likewise the passengers. But nobody ever expresses concern about getting into a cab with someone they don't know but do about Uber/Lyft. I just don't get it. I suppose ALL of them could be potential troublemakers, etc. but... Anyway, sorry I got into this. Thought it was pretty simple. lol

Old 12-03-2018, 02:22 PM

7,233 posts, read 4,123,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I work w/ a few nurses, one who is 69 and the other who is 71. Both work Per Diem. Another is younger at around 64. Full time nursing after 60, well, I can't imagine that one!

The recession of 08 and beyond changed lives enough that many older people have to go back to work or work longer.

They can always work in the NICU. No complaining by the patients and they're very easy to lift.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:37 PM

8,184 posts, read 11,902,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
That's kind of what I was getting at. Cab drivers and Uber/Lyft drivers would be total strangers and likewise the passengers. But nobody ever expresses concern about getting into a cab with someone they don't know but do about Uber/Lyft. I just don't get it. I suppose ALL of them could be potential troublemakers, etc. but...
That's because it doesn't make any sense, lol. In fact, you actually have more info on the Uber driver. Before you even get in the car, you have his name; his photo; the make, model, and color of the car; the license tag number; and finally, reviews of the driver by other passengers. Conversely, you have no info before you get in a cab, and you have nothing when you get out either unless you take a photo or write down the info from his license (assuming he bothered to hang it up in the first place).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or