U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 02:44 PM

652 posts, read 890,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I have a relative that has a cab company. He is of course anti Uber

His main complaint is that the drivers are not required to have a full police type background check.

That worries me as a female using Uber. I had one very bad experience with a creepy guy and another awful experience with a TINY sweet older lady with huge thick glasses who picked me up at the airport but clearly could not see in the dark -- she was hunched over the wheel and driving VERY slowly and then drove over a giant concrete median. Really scary -- she probably did serious damage to her car. Her car was impeccably clean and she kept offering me little bottles of water but I only wanted to get home alive. Switched back to cabs after that experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 02:49 PM

8,614 posts, read 9,676,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's because it doesn't make any sense, lol. In fact, you actually have more info on the Uber driver. Before you even get in the car, you have his name; his photo; the make, model, and color of the car; the license tag number; and finally, reviews of the driver by other passengers. Conversely, you have no info before you get in a cab, and you have nothing when you get out either unless you take a photo or write down the info from his license (assuming he bothered to hang it up in the first place).

But, if all that is the case why are people so concerned about getting into a Uber/Lyft car with a stranger? I've seen it mentioned several times so just wondered why that would be different from getting into a regular cab and the driver is a stranger as well but nobody seems concerned.

Okay, it was probably a dumb question but I was curious. I'll stop now.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:04 PM

8,191 posts, read 11,905,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
But, if all that is the case why are people so concerned about getting into a Uber/Lyft car with a stranger?
Because they're idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I've seen it mentioned several times so just wondered why that would be different from getting into a regular cab and the driver is a stranger as well but nobody seems concerned.
It's not any different. Hence, why I believe they are being idiotic.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:09 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,506,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
that is what the ignore button is for -use it . i will challenge and call out things that have no merit or can be shown to be incorrect if i feel they are . .
You just can't help yourself, evidently.

Perhaps I misunderstood your demeanor. Peace, Bro.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:31 PM

1,857 posts, read 547,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Wal-Mart uses that pool of too early retirees to become greeters.

"Welcome to Wal-Mart"

That is a grim future I planned to never experience.
I think it's pretty cool of Walmart to offer such unnecessary jobs, and I'm sure those who really need it don't see it as grim. Beats homelessness or death by a mile. Besides, it's not like sitting around watching tv or fartin around the interwebs is any better way to spend time.

Last edited by duke944; 12-03-2018 at 04:40 PM..

Old 12-03-2018, 04:50 PM

13,216 posts, read 6,313,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
That worries me as a female using Uber. I had one very bad experience with a creepy guy and another awful experience with a TINY sweet older lady with huge thick glasses who picked me up at the airport but clearly could not see in the dark -- she was hunched over the wheel and driving VERY slowly and then drove over a giant concrete median. Really scary -- she probably did serious damage to her car. Her car was impeccably clean and she kept offering me little bottles of water but I only wanted to get home alive. Switched back to cabs after that experience.
Haha, that would be me driving Uber. I think they need to check the driving ability of these Uber drivers.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:13 PM

11,976 posts, read 5,111,061 times
I recently took a trip across the country and used Uber a few times. I really liked it. The drivers were very friendly and quick to respond and it's so easy to use. I would now use them over and over again when needed.
I'm sure once in a great while, you'll get someone who isn't the best driver but not everything is 100 percent all of the time, and I'll include taxis in that.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:26 PM

7,627 posts, read 4,686,468 times
I used Uber once. It was OK. The driver was from Mongolia, here in Northern California to go to school. The ride took nearly 1/2 hour and I was embarrassed that I didn't know more about Mongolia so I could make intelligent conversation.

We like dealing with the same people, so if we're in another city for a few days we'll see if a cabbie is amenable to being an on-call driver for us.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:12 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 8 days ago)

9,480 posts, read 3,639,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specific Point View Post

Do you think the people I know who are trying to get back into the workforce in their 70s due to poor financial planning or emergencies are all that unusual? Do you think it is possible for someone in their 70s to get another full-time professional job in their field? Any advice or observations?
I know people in their 60s who are broke and it's nothing to do with medical bills. Some of them lived it up in the 1980s and 90s. Now they're paying for that lifestyle and blaming everyone else (the government, etc) for their problems.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:16 PM

21,856 posts, read 14,356,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specific Point View Post
I have been talking about retirement and employment with many of my friends, neighbors, and family recently and I have been shocked by how many of them have nearly run out of money and are trying desperately to get a full-time job.

Many of them are in their late 60s and 70s. A number of things happened to them that has caused an urgent need to get a full-time job. These include:

1) Their spouse died and they no longer have his/her Social Security and or Pension or Annuity check. And they did not buy life insurance to make up for the difference.

2) They were told by friends (or Dave Ramsey) that the stock market returned 9% a year so they took out that amount in withdrawals, instead of the conservative 3-4% recommended figure.

3) They did not budget their money and overspent.

4) They had huge emergency expenses, such as medical costs without a Medicare supplement.

Do you think the people I know who are trying to get back into the workforce in their 70s due to poor financial planning or emergencies are all that unusual? Do you think it is possible for someone in their 70s to get another full-time professional job in their field? Any advice or observations?
I know no one like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or